Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L-Jet connector seal/grommet?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

I'm going through my '74 Bosch L-Jet equpped wagon and replacing all the fuel hoses, as it has been sitting for 15 years. I noticed when I unplugged the wiring from an injector, the small rubber seal/grommet inside the plug around the connectors fell apart. As I pulled the rest, I realized another one was missing. Solutions? I don't know how harmful it is, but I don't like that the plug can move up and down at all, plus, nothing good an come of moisture getting in there.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

You can generally buy the plug housings with new gaskets. Many versions. Post some pictures close up so we can see which one it is. In a pinch...very long ago...I have replaced teh gasket with fine bead of silicone from a narrow nozzle. Spread it evenly with a plastic pic...let dry.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

The Type C locking connectors now have a clear silicone seal inside that replaces the rubber seal as seen in the Type A/B style connectors on L-Jet FI harness connectors.

I've pried this one out partially to show its profile:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
The Type C locking connectors now have a clear silicone seal inside that replaces the rubber seal as seen in the Type A/B style connectors on L-Jet FI harness connectors.

I've pried this one out partially to show its profile:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you for posting this.

While its slightly cleaner that how mine turned out when ai filled in with a fine bead ir silicone.....its pretty much the same effect I got.

I am bettiing looking at the smooth face....that they pumped it in with a needle and parked them on a block of teflon until they set.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

Ok, yeah, I found that type of connector for about $5-6 a piece, so easily affordable to get the seals from.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

I inquired about the seal recently and got this reply from a vendor who sells the Type C connectors.

“The original manufacturer does give a part number for that seal, but it appears to be for internal use only as they are not sold anywhere or able to be ordered, probably just used to create the subassembly with the connector shell.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
I inquired about the seal recently and got this reply from a vendor who sells the Type C connectors.

“The original manufacturer does give a part number for that seal, but it appears to be for internal use only as they are not sold anywhere or able to be ordered, probably just used to create the subassembly with the connector shell.”

Yep...I have never found them "sold" separately...though years ago i could find dealers with a few in their parts box (probably scrounged from other cars)...that they did not have a price for ...so they usually threw them in if I was buying something. Ray
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

AMP became Tyco Electronics which is now called TE.

Here’s the AMP Junior Timer part number for future reference if it’s possible to source one:

TE Connectivity
825 383-1 (Black)
825 383-4 (Gray)
Neoprene seal

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/te-connectivity-amp-brand/8253831-10510982.html

It’s got me thinking about modifying a cookie cutter into a stamp that can cut these out of a sheet of silicone like the photo I posted...

Here are the dimensions:

http://ratwell.com/technical/FIHarness/C_825383_L.pdf

Last edited by ratwell on Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
AMP became Tyco Electronics which is now called TE.

Here’s the AMP Junior Timer part number for future reference if it’s possible to source one:

TE Connectivity
825-383-1
Neoprene seal

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/te-connectivity-amp-brand/8253831-10510982.html

It’s got me thinking about modifying a cookie cutter into a stamp that can cut these out of a sheet of silicone like the photo I posted...

Yep. I remember when Tyco and AMP merged. The part number index was like 50,000 parts. Finding things back around 1999 was crazy on their web site.

Thanks! Ray
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: L-Jet connector seal/grommet? Reply with quote

Seals are transferred from the new plugs to the ones on the car, so far so good! They feel nice and tight/stable after plugging back onto the injectors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: