Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Padding under rear carpet?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Padding under rear carpet? Reply with quote

When I pulled up the carpet over the rear package tray on my 1967 Beetle convertible, I saw that there was no padding under the horizontal section - just sound deadening on the vertical/firewall section, and some juke behind the rear seat. Was there originally padding there, or was this all there was:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Padding under rear carpet? Reply with quote

Most cars have the padding there... maybe someone removed it if it got wet. Looks pretty solid, they may have saved it from rust.😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Padding under rear carpet? Reply with quote

I have a cabrio but have never looked under there,maybe they were different.
1974 Porsche 911S Targa
1968 1500 Beetle A Project!
Past Garage fillers dozens of type1 &type3 VWs
Jaguar Mk5 & XK120
Lancia Flavia Coupe
Alfa Guilia sedan
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Padding under rear carpet? Reply with quote

I did some searching around where the carpet was set aside, and it *does* look like there was padding going all along the bottom of the carpet, and it appears to be a thin coconut fiber, similar to the padding in the convertible top and in the seats. Mine is falling apart, so I'll probably try to find a reproduction (anyone know any like this - not just felt/jute?), but I wanted to share the results of my investigation.

Thanks to all who helped!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: