Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PSA: Defective Headlight Relays
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: PSA: Defective Headlight Relays Reply with quote

Hey Guys:

FYI there's a big batch of defective headlight relays being sold at parts stores right now. After acquiring 3 of them and pulling my hair out I tried an old Meyle and it worked fine.

These relays are being sold by Napa, Advance and probably many others. They all appear to be made on the same assembly line and boxed according to the retailer. None work correctly, low beams work but there's no high beams. I'm strong with electrical and these SOBs really had me wondering about my abilities until I tried a used one and it worked fine.

These relays fit almost every VW made between 67-79 but I'm posting here as that's the vehicle I was working on. I don't know if Everett wants to crosspost this, but at least I'm letting people know.

Use the German Meyle one, it works!

PS Napa refunded no problem, Advance told me no returns on electrical items, period. Thirty bucks out the window, and it was only $20 at Napa.

PSS: If you want to use one of these, connect power to terminal 30 (which is not used in this circuit, oddly) and it will work, and you'll have flash-to-pass with the key on also.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: PSA: Defective Headlight Relays Reply with quote

Did you, perchance, determine exactly why they don't work? (Might as well get something for that lost $30...)
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: PSA: Defective Headlight Relays Reply with quote

Send them to Telford. He will figure the problem out
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: PSA: Defective Headlight Relays Reply with quote

It’s probably the old problem of having to add a jumper wire from terminal
30 to terminal 56
This has been going on For years .
Please do a search for soldering or just using connectors for your project
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: PSA: Defective Headlight Relays Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
It’s probably the old problem of having to add a jumper wire from terminal
30 to terminal 56
This has been going on For years .
Please do a search for soldering or just using connectors for your project

yes - this is all it is. There was a thread discussing the jumper just a couple days ago, 17 posts down from this, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=744440 . We have 40 - 50 year old cars. Some things have to be adapted. I believe that the old relays had an internal jumper that was added to make them work. The newer ones lack it. That said, someone out there probably has a NOS one from the 1970's for $100 - $150. Jumper one from NAPA, or $100 - $150 NOS, buyers choice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: