Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure if the pinion shaft is turning the gear stacks are also turning. In fact, the input shaft is fixed by the clutch, so something is absorbing that too.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NOTE: this Syncro transaxle cutaway diagram from another thread is annotated a condition inverse to towing: vehicle stopped in neutral, clutch out, engine running.

Towing: In neutral the 3rd &4th gear pairs are spinning and the 1st & 2nd gear pairs are stopped. 3rd & 4th gear idlers are spinning, on their needle bearings, on the (stopped) input shaft. The mainshaft bearing, up high above the oil level, is stopped. The granny & reverse are all stopped. If you pushed the clutch the oil viscosity would likely cause the input shaft and clutch disk to spin. But you wouldn’t do that.

The pinion shaft spins appx 3,000 rpm at 60mph. Twice as fast as your twist drill, and the two 3rd/4th gears splined to the pinion shaft are submerged. It seems reasonable that they could throw enough oil to lubricate their idlers.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

It does seem reasonable that the needle bearings on the 3/4 idlers would be totally happy and the ring and pinions would be just as happy with the load on the opposite side. Carry on.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

Well I decided to do it myself , it came out level.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

^^^Cool. Do you have some pics of how you went about this? I've been contemplating using the tow-loops or their threaded inserts on the RMW bumper for a two bar. Did you consider using them and why did you choose this option?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat towing a Syncro behind a RV Reply with quote

I'm using the tow loops for cables, I have a 2"x 40" square bar welded to the aftermarket Bumper mounts and grade 8 bolts also holding the bar to the body bumper frame. I'm also thinking about welding brackets to the frame rails just to be safe.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: