Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lubricating van parts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Lubricating van parts Reply with quote

I know this is a crazy time. Seems like so many people are fighting now. Its super sad.
Im really glad to be somewhat involved with a van community where folks seem to help each other out.

I recently gave an engine core- top and bottom end- to a guy who lived locally that needed it. Its things like that which make the van community nice.
There was once a community around Vespa's real similar until they became too rare. I rebuilt a 1966 150 super- i loved the community there. I miss em.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But I digress...

On to van lubrication.
Im putting the doors in my van and needed some lubrication for the little parts. You know, springs, metal on metal areas, etc.
Since we are in a time of massive cultural division, I thought, 'ILL BRING THE TWO WORLDS TOGETHER!'

So I busted out my specialized (by a tribologist) gun lubrication that ive been using after listening to the creator interviewed on a podcast about lubrication theory.
Ive been lubricating the little things on my van, and its holding up nicely.

Since I am a proud American that thinks the political climate is a chaotic nightmare, in which id rather just take a nap in a hammock by a lake with my vanagon and dog, ill put gun stuff to use in my van and feel that i did just a little bit to bring the two sides together.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricating van parts in americas political climate Reply with quote

Many people bring guns and Vanagons together by shooting their vans on the side of the road.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: lubricating van parts in americas political climate Reply with quote

Interested in more info. I find I need to get pretty well lubricated to work on some of the less appealing jobs on the van....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricating van parts in americas political climate Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Many people bring guns and Vanagons together by shooting their vans on the side of the road.
. ROFL.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricating van parts in americas political climate Reply with quote

Gun oil is usually very light. In the spirit of diversity, you might want to use a thicker oil.

Personally I use Polylube, by Winzer. It's perfect for door hinges, door locks, sliding door parts, pedal clusters, throttle linkages and many other places.

https://www.winzer.com/product/Polylube-255-Clear-Gel-Lubricant-With-PTFE-13-oz

It's an aerosol so you spray it on, it penetrates and when the propellant evaporates it leaves a clear layer of lubricant that does not wash off.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricating van parts in americas political climate Reply with quote

Moderator time:
Overtly political content was removed, per the rules
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricating van parts in americas political climate Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This one one the internet this week
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: lubricating van parts in americas political climate Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Ha! Jimmy Maroon from 'Appaloosa Rising' shows up on the Samba again!!! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubricating van parts in americas political climate Reply with quote

ok, is this a lubrication gun?

or is it lubrication for guns?

also what neighborhood in SFO?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricating van parts in americas political climate Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Honestly probably the most common reason for carrying a gun inside a Vanagon.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubricating van parts Reply with quote

I'll never be able to post this anywhere and it will be lost to history forever if I don't. But I've used my vehicle to lube my gun once. Target practice out in the boonies with a variety of them with my family in May, I pulled out my ancient 12g. These things can handle rattling around on the floor of a pickup for decades with no maintenance and that's why I bought this model.

However, on this day it was not operating smoothly and became unpleasant to use, and I had nothing with me. So while they stayed down the road with the other stuff and kept doing their thing, I walked back to the truck, pulled the dipstick and dribbled lube pretty precisely into the right spots. Cycled it a few times and felt it instantly smooth out. Then with that MacGuyver-like smugness feeling of "Yeah, I got this" I walked back and we continued our outing.

So apparently gun lube works on cars and car lube works on guns....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: