Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Bus for fun
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:
If you could keep to positive comments... those are appreciated thanks..

the radio block-off plate looks decent, and the what-looks-to-be original paint on it might polish up nicely.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:
If you could keep to positive comments and suggestions as it states in the thread those are appreciated thanks..

Agree 100% if you dont like, leave....

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

Someone suggested using a flap disc to blend those welds tried it out turned out pretty good. the made in canada and made in usa flap discs are far superior to the canadian tire chinese ones then i put some paint on it to get it closer to being complete still gotta order some outriggers and other parts. gonna be a few weeks as got other bills to pay and this is just a hobby..
test fit the jack point here
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

blended some of those welds looks decent gave it some paint as the rain instead of snow will be here in a few weeks

To be continued!!!! cheers!

Last edited by vwuguy on Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

Killer determination man, way to go on that part!

You've obviously got the money to buy the replacement parts, so would it be an option to hire in a travelling welder service to come in and do the strength-critical portion of the welding project?

You've got a vw club in your signature -- can one of those guys come over and lend a hand to do the critical welding for you, to make sure your welds are strong enough?

You really do need the frame to be right man, if you have any vision at all of driving this bus down the road. Hire that out, and save your welding wire for less-critical things like door patches and fixing rust under windows.

Just trying to give you positive options that will result in success.

Good luck!
Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
vwuguy wrote:
If you could keep to positive comments and suggestions as it states in the thread those are appreciated thanks..

Agree 100% if you dont like, leave....

If you had to drive on the same roads you might feel differently. So Cal is a long ways away. I live nearby. And suggesting doing it right, or at least safely, is not a negative comment. Its wise advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

Buseric this is a piece of art i'm the volksartist(an individual whos medium is a volkswagen), there is no rt way to build art although i did cut out the rust and replace it with new vw metal as suggested..

Buseric if you have some specific way you want to refinish this bus unfortunately it is not your bus your welcome to comment and say i'd like it done like this if you want .I really don't get what your getting at..and this bus is very far from being a storage shed yet.
I may change it all over many times who knows. this is no where close to the finished product.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

Good luck with the project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apexxn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
If you had to drive on the same roads you might feel differently. So Cal is a long ways away. I live nearby. And suggesting doing it right, or at least safely, is not a negative comment. Its wise advice.

I hear ya, I'm concerned for the driver and those around him.
apexxn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:

I've seen some people get roasted on this forum over the last almost 20 years. The comments you're receiving aren't negative at all. I see knowledgeable people concerned for the integrity of that frame. You don't seem to acknowledge what we are trying to get thru to you in a very nice way.

Last edited by apexxn on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

this will go on forever like this one

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=564001&highlight=

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

Skills tag your it /
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus for fun Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:

My comment is that the bus is obviously scrap yard material that was destined for the crusher. It is literally in a state where anything is an improvement. You got to learn on something. I appreciate that you are practicing on this bus, and not a nicer example. There is nothing that you could do to this bus that would bother me. Doing high level concourse work would be a waste of skills.

My suggestion would be to ask Everett to change the title of the thread. This is not a '50s bus. It is a 1962 model. I identified it as such within a couple hours of the original post.
Lind wrote:
its a 1962 model.

Build it like you want it, and have fun with it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

Post more videos!

I am looking forward to this bus being launched off a sweet jump on your farm.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 bus for fun Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
My suggestion would be to ask Everett to change the title of the thread. This is not a '50s bus. It is a 1962 model. I identified it as such within a couple hours of the original post.
Lind wrote:
its a 1962 model.

I edited it to say 1962 instead to prevent any confusion
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tferr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 50s bus for fun Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
This is the most entertaining thing on the entire internet right now

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

This brought me out of retirement. lol
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Bus for fun Reply with quote

Sunday it was sunny out yet the cold wasn't overly bad with many layers on, only -5 must be a summer day, no wind that day, the grass and pine floor was all icy in the bush lot. I then continued and grinding sparks flied as I continued to create this unique piece of volksart. Before starting i heated the paint on the new frame sections and then started to form the metal into shape..
battery tray repaired
corner repaired matches patina

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Bus for fun Reply with quote

I have seen South American Bus's where the "front" and "rear" sections are held together with rough cut 6"by6" wooden beams, stacked with loads and 6 people on dirt roads from hell. I've patched up some rough Bus's using materials on hand ( bed frames for inner rockers, plate steel floors, fishplated frames, etc.). Not every Bus is a restoration and there are many reasons to put them back together.

Proceed forth with vigor!
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Bus for fun Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:
Sunday it was sunny out yet the cold wasn't overly bad with many layers on, only -5 must be a summer day, no wind that day, the grass and pine floor was all icy in the bush lot. I then continued and grinding sparks flied as I continued to create this unique piece of volksart. Before starting i heated the paint on the new frame sections and then started to form the metal into shape..
battery tray repaired
corner repaired matches patina

Is that before or after the 'repair'?
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Bus for fun Reply with quote

exactly the way it should be thanks for the compliment getting better

before pic

giant gaping hole

vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Bus for fun Reply with quote

today it was a nice spring day 9 degrees sunny really enjoyable out there.. progress made this piece and got this engine tray back together . Now there is a place to park a coffee

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: