Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat/Defrost air flow
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
creative native wrote:
A couple of months ago, I saw one of the aftermarket suppliers advertising that they are selling new heater blower motors and now cannot remember whose site it was. Can any of you help by telling me who that might be?

hey duane, just googled it and two options came up. custom speed in england and cip1 in canada. don’t know who makes them or where they’re made.

bus depot and vw heritage have them, too. maybe others.

have you considered used og?

Thanks for the information, Tom. I've not made a definite decision about a new one, but just keeping my options open. The original on my Bus doesn't seem to be operable.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

Ok - it’s been a couple of years since my original post - thanks for all the informative replies.

Even though it’s December (and as of yet we have no snow in Rochester), I’m still driving my bus- and the heat system is still doing ‘ok.’ I did source a heater booster fan, but I’ve yet to install it. Will I need the small flaps situated in the fan shroud or can I run the fan without them? (Mine are missing).

Thanks,

Jeff
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

if the booster fan injects air like the factory one that is over the engine, then there is the potential at low engine RPM for that fan to reverse the flow of air thru the heater boxes from the point it it injected back into the shroud, but if it is an inline fan then it is only helping move the air. There are many people who lack the flaps in the heater boxes. If you eventually get some, you will want to use a small camera like the link below so you can verify that they open. I use a hair dryer on them to see if they will open. They can hang up otherwise because the install is not the cleanest and the parts are worn. That would be worse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Ok - it’s been a couple of years since my original post - thanks for all the informative replies.

Even though it’s December (and as of yet we have no snow in Rochester), I’m still driving my bus- and the heat system is still doing ‘ok.’ I did source a heater booster fan, but I’ve yet to install it. Will I need the small flaps situated in the fan shroud or can I run the fan without them? (Mine are missing).

Thanks,

Jeff

Find the picture Big Bore posted years ago of the dealer installed fan that went under the floor below the heater-defroster tee. Adding the stock heater booster fan will likely be a disappointment, especially compared with an inline fan installed up forward.

My Blumaxx mounted over the front axle has been running for twelve years at this point, though it doesn't see much winter use anymore. I think all the various things I did to my heater system gives me at least three if not four times as much heat as a new factory system when running at highway speeds. Have melted a lot of various things left in front of the one rear heater outlet the temps are so high and once melted the wiper blades when climbing the Siskiyou Mts on I-5 in southern OR.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

This is what I found while working on a 71 bus, see my response, found lots of heater tube insulation from the heater tubes in the narrow section of heat conduit above the beam, along with other FOs! after 50 years stuff starts comin apart!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645004
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
This is what I found while working on a 71 bus, see my response, found lots of heater tube insulation from the heater tubes in the narrow section of heat conduit above the beam, along with other FOs! after 50 years stuff starts comin apart!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645004

more likely a rodent made a home there. Smile
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: The effect of missing heater system parts Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm helping a friend work through some issues on his 1973 bus (with auto transmission). While his story is fraught with scary tales of purchasing a rebuilt type 4 engine from a shop in the midwest, the big issue he's dealing with is excessive heat. (This is a discussion for another post).

While he does have the heat exchangers installed, he is missing the heater boxes, accordion tubes, heat risers, etc. Would these missing components have any effect on the high temps he's seeing (via a Dakota Digital gauge)?

(I doubt it, but wanted to tap into the collected wisdom found here.)

Thanks,

Jeff
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

probably not
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

Have him set the timing at 28° BTDC @3800+ rpms, hoses off and plugged. If he is setting the timing by the book and parts are old, worn, missing, incorrect, etc the book timing will not work.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

the heater boxes pull some heat from the heads at the exhaust ports, especially on the 72-74 models. That heat is vented either under the bus or into the cabin when the heat is on. If he has heater boxes on but the tin is rotted away, then they are venting that heat under the heads. At idle it might cause the metal around them to get really hot but driving it is not going to cause high head and oil temps. set the timing like Mike suggested and see if that helps. Also - what is "high temps?" Too hot to hold the dipstick after a long run? Things glowing orange?
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. The tins are good but all of the ductwork on the heat system is missing. After a 20 minute highway drive, the dipstick was warm to the touch, but not burning hot - you can hold it without discomfort. In terms of head temps, he's seeing 430-440* on his Dakota Digital gauge.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Thanks Steve. The tins are good but all of the ductwork on the heat system is missing. After a 20 minute highway drive, the dipstick was warm to the touch, but not burning hot - you can hold it without discomfort. In terms of head temps, he's seeing 430-440* on his Dakota Digital gauge.

The original timing for a Type 4 engine in a car was 27° BTDC @3800 hoses off and plugged, and I think the industrial engine was something like 26°.

Making sure the engine isn't running lean helps as well. Does he have the foam gasket that seals the engine tin to the body?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

430 to 440 is a tad hotter than many especially for this time of the year. Check the timing, make sure all the seals are there as Mike suggested. It also depends on speed. My engine runs 350F - 360F around town. But on the highway at 60 - 65 it comes up to 400F - 410F. If I push it to 70 - 80 mph it will come up to almost the temps he is seeing. It takes a lot of energy to push a sheet of plywood down the road at that speed.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

The thermocouple needs to match the gauge as well. The wrong thermocouple can give a reading that is either too high or too low.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

We'll check the timing and make sure the thermocouple is correct.

AND - I did some more looking a see that the tin that surrounds the head around #3 cylinder is the wrong one and there is an opening built in that allows air to escape - and the sled tin does not connect correctly. I don't know if this will have a major impact, but it seems that every little bit helps.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

Carbureted engines came with the extra hole in the tin, it was used to feed hot air to the carbs to help the engine warm up faster. It's pretty easy to make a cover for it using a lid from a large tin can and some tin snips.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Heat/Defrost air flow Reply with quote

Surrounding #3 seems more like the earlier TS2 hole for the FI engines before VW moved it to the outer head area. Any plug works, I think I've used rubber blanking plugs before with good results.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: