Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Greetings
Just picked up a little project for myself and realized I could use a little help from those who have been there before. This forum seems to be the most serious of what I could find and full or members that know a thing or two. So here I am-full of questions...
My project is a fairly complete car that someone started a "sort of" restoration on. It has been painted, new floor pans and running boards and mostly put back together but lots of stuff still in boxes or missing - mostly body, electrical, fuel, and interior stuff but the engine bay looks like it needs to be put back in order, too. Vacuum lines, fuel and electrical are definitely not correct. air tubes missing, This is the fuel injected model. Apparently they made both fuel injected and carbureted version in 77.
About me...
I have recently completed a restoration of two BMW motorcycles. A '71 and a '65. The second one - the '65 came out very well if I don't say so myself. I'm a pretty seasoned back yard mechanic with a good basic understanding of electrical, mechanical and body work fundamentals and a nice collection of tools in a nice work space. That said, 4 wheels is more involved and I know i'm going to need some help. I dug through the forum a bit and found some good stuff like wiring diagrams. What I am sure I will need is parts resources and information. For instance I have not been able to find a real parts manual or fiche. On line or otherwise. I do have the "official" Volkswagon service manual by Robert Bentley but that's about it. I find exploded view parts manuals to be invaluable when you aren't sure how things go together. I have owned several bugs back in the day and loved them all. I had one with a sunroof and "automatic", which I had a particular affinity for. Wish I had that one back. I have had motors out more than once but never attempted to replace everything including seats seatbelts, rugs, gaskets, wiring harnesses, fuel tank... I always started with a running machine and fixed or replaced what needed replacing. Since I didn't take this apart I have no notes, pictures or anything to refer to.

My goal is to get this car back together in excellent mechanical condition and good cosmetic condition and sell it. (White on white rag tops are not really my kind of car). I got this for a song and my hope is to put a couple bucks back in the hobby fund and go get something more suited to my taste. I look forward to working with you guys. I'll return I'm sure with specific questions once I find a few minutes to see what I have to work with. Meanwhile any suggestions as to sources for parts and information would be much appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

First question:
Any chance I can find a "stock" radio for this.
Radio is missing
A_BugLife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Welcome! Your project looks like a great starting place. You can get a new period correct type radio here https://www.classiccarstereos.com/vw-super-beetle-radios.html

Hope it helps.
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

This is perfect. Thanks!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Welcome. As for sources for parts, depending on where you are in Mass, there's a place down in Wakefield, RI that is pretty good. I have done a lot of business with them, and they have quality parts and good prices. They have mostly a Web presence. They're called M&T Manufacturing.
www.mtmfg.com/
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

For anything to do with convertibles, https://chucksconvertibleparts.com

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for the referrals. M&T looks like a great resource. Love that they are local. Anyone have any experience with the dashboard overlays - looks like that is my only option for this year super beetle. Or just leave it alone
bilbo939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Couldn't help but notice does it have a white interior? If it's the original colour could be a triple white edition which was launched in 1977. If it was legitimately a triple white it would be worth more than face value.

More likely that someone liked the look of the triple white and wanted to create one. But..?
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Funny you should ask. The original interior was carmel. (I think that's what they called it). It came with all new seat covers door panels and foams, which I gave to an upholsterer. All white - So I guess it'll look like a triple white but not original.
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Or maybe the original interior was just dirty...
I'm going with that.
No idea really what this car is worth. I have seen some crazy prices out there but can't take them seriously. I just hope I have room to spend a few bucks on it beyond the $3,300 I paid for it and have something left at the end.

Question for the gurus: Where do I find the paint code? Is it part of the VIN? Didn't see anything on any tags.
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

captain skip wrote:
Where do I find the paint code?

There should be a sticker with paint code and name in the trunk on the driver side strut dome.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

The only real rust I have to deal with is under the back seat. This must be common - especially in a convertible. not sure how to approach this.

I am not intending to dismantle this car and do a concourse restoration but Id like to do something about this. Typically I cut out rust but this looks like some fabrication beyond my comfort level. I suppose I could blast it cut out the hole and tack in a patch.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I can't be the first to deal with this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bonedoggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Doesn't seem too terrible. I would cut it out and patch it.

A follow on comment and a question -

I have a 1976 I have just started to clean up and it's a triple white the previous comment about the year is incorrect.

The metal electrically connected device in the photo - what is that? I have one of those also in mine and I have no idea what it's for.

JB
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

That is the ECU for the fuel injection.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Bonedoggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Thank you, I feel pretty stupid now. Smile
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Follow up on paint code: There is no sticker on the drivers side strut dome in the trunk. Could have been removed or painted over, I guess. Couldn't find a sticker anywhere but on the door jamb and the glove compartment. Both are all about GVW and tire inflation.

Another newbie question: How do I know if this is a super beetle or not? It makes a difference in ordering things like a new dash. Can't get them for '77 super beetles but apparently you can for a standard.

I thought the curved windshield and fuel injection made it a super beetle but now I am not sure.
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Never Mind - Got my answer from Google
No standard convertible beetles after model year 72. All convertibles are super beetles after that.
captain skip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Getting into this project for real now (finally)

Pretty sure I have the evap and fuel system figured out. About to install the new gas tank and put the trunk area back together. Looks like the PO replaced the fuel pump but no filter. The only fuel line I could find for the big side of the filter (filter-to-pump) is not rated FI hose. It is carburetor hose - 50lb psi rating. From what I have read I think the operating pressure in this FI system is about 35. I am hoping I don't need 225 psi hose because I can't find any that big (7 16ths)

Questions:
1. Does anyone know where I can find a vacuum system diagram for this year convertible. The vacuum hoses in the engine compartment are all disconnected.
2. Does anyone have a pic of where and how the injection control unit and double relay are mounted. Mne are just hanging in the space behind the back seat.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

Great project. I recommend getting a factory service manual for it they are really helpful for these and not too expensive either. It will have the diagrams in it when I get a chance later I can post what it says in the book.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 77 convertible project car - finishing a partial restoration Reply with quote

The big hose between the filter and pump is not under pressure, that starts on the other end of the pump, almost any fuel resistant hose will work there. You are correct about the system pressure, 35 is usually the maximum operating pressure.
The ECU and DR mount with a metal strap to the RH side wall of the area behind the back seat and are covered with a cardboard shield: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632722&highlight=computer+mount

The vacuum diagram is here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693277&highlight=vacuum+diagram

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: