Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you identify this Turbo Diesel engine?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Can you identify this Turbo Diesel engine? Reply with quote

I looked at a Vanagon for sale today that had a 1.9L TDI engine in it installed by the previous owner. The seller did not know which engine it is. Currently a non-turbo manifold is installed and the turbo not on the engine.

Can someone identify which TDI this is from the photo?

Thanks!
Jim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?

Last edited by SyncroHead on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

It appears to be a 1.9 with a mechanical injection pump. TDI should be used to describe a flyby wire electronic diesel. Those engines can be adapted to mechanical pumps and are some times referred to as M-TDI engines. I can’t see enough on my phone to tell you more.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

Are you sure it's a 1.9? Looks like possibly a 1.6 to me, my 1.9 has a different injection pump and the general configuration of 'stuff' is not the same. But yeah, suppose it could be a 1.9 with a 1.6 injection pump on it.

The OEM part number for that particular sticker on the valve cover is 068 010 044 H.

I would call the dealer and see if they can tell you what years had that part number of sticker, that might let you nail it down?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

Looks more like a 1.9TD engine such as an AAZ, not a TDI.

The engine compartment looks to belong to an 82 diesel van.

Mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

The intake almost looks like a CIS intake from a fuel injected rabbit with an adapter to take the place of the original throttle body.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

Why is the line on the top of the LDA leaving the engine compartment?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

Looks like the long block might be a 1Z or AHU, possibly an AAZ but I don't really think so due to the presence of the block oil vapor hose, also that is not a turbo pump. It is a non turbo pump with an altitude adjustor. Looks just like a turbo pump except the out let is on top of the diaphragm instead of below it. I bet the tube goes to another bit of equipment behind the firewall that is set to measure barometric pressure difference and feed the signal to the top of the diaphragm. It was pretty common on some late model non turbo models.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

Just spent a bit more time looking at the engine and I am certain it is an AAZ. Look at the injectors, those are not TDI injectors they are the old style Bosch injectors used on the IDI engines like the AAZ. The oil label on the valve cover is a give away but other aspects say AAZ. I also misspoke a bit about the Altitude adjustor it uses vacuum to pull UP on the LDA diaphragm to reduce fuel flow rather that using boost to push down on the diaphragm and increase fueling. I would say definitely NOT a TDI engine. Hayden
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

From injector #1 we can see it is not a TDI, as in Direct Injection but an IDI older style Indirect Injection.

The 3 little plastic caps on the valve cover bolts and a few details on the injector pump,
flat top top on the LDA with no adjustment screw and solenoid at the base of the right side
of the pump, are AAZ for sure.

A look at the back of the block would confirm with a big 1.9 td in the casting but some grey market
or rebuilt blocks have that ground off, so not 100%.

Pretty sweet engine with a few tweeks..not TDI power for sure and the AAZ doesn't have the fuel economy
of the TDI or 1.6..but runs way cooler than a 1.6.

I had one in my syncro westy for a while and I thought it was not enough but I have one in a 2wd 5sp Joker now
and it does a pretty easy 34-36mpg highway.
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

Thank you Sambanistas! You’re awesome!

I took notice of VW diesels in the USA about 2001 or so and was quite impressed with the TDIs. Have been ever since.

Mark is right in catching that the van is a 1982 model, which was originally a 1.6L diesel version.

Questions:
Between the 1980s 1.6L diesels and the 1998 (or so) 1.9L TDIs, were there USA spec vehicles that came with a mechanical 1.9L turbo-diesel like this, or is this some rare Frankenstein motor that’s been imported or custom assembled?

Additional comments in the advisability of this 1.9L TD engine in a Vanagon?

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The intake almost looks like a CIS intake from a fuel injected rabbit with an adapter to take the place of the original throttle body.

My first thought was 'old gas 8v intake'.

It looks like the PCV system is venting to atmosphere at PCV "puck"?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

No vehicles, Golfs, Jettas or Passats in the US with the mechanical 1.9 l td AAZ engine.

Canada had some but not very numerous. I had 2 Jettas with that engine.

Stock, very "detuned", setup for emissions, low noise and smoothness.

Raise boost, add intercooler and proper boost pin in the LDA and it makes a nice engine.
Slightly better than a healthy WBX in my opinion.

With the modern internet parts availability is no longer an issue.

Can also be safely run, even enhanced, on a stock tranny without the potential carnage the torque
of the TDI can cause.. $ savings..

I did one conversion with an AAZ. Owner had rusted out Passat with good engine
and nice westy with dead WBX. That was 10 years ago. He gave it to his grandson and I still
see that van once or twice a year, runs great.

I have an 86 euro spec Joker with the DJ wbx and 5sp. Great drivetrain but head leaked like a crazy.
Sold that engine and put in the AAZ from my last Jetta when it rusted out. Daily driven for almost 4 years. Great road trip van..super economial.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

The terms TDI and IDI have nothing at all to do with the engine management or injection pump fitted. The acronyms refer to the type of combustion chamber used.

That's an AAZ engine (IDI) with an AAZ injection pump. The intake manifold indeed appears to be from a gasser. Unfortunate due to the port mismatch.
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The intake manifold indeed appears to be from a gasser. Unfortunate due to the port mismatch.

The manifold currently on it is a temporary improvisation, as the turbo setup was said to be stolen. The seller says he now has the turbo and proper manifolds to put back on.

So, TDI = Turbo Direct Injection, what does IDI Stand for?
Seems like it should be TII = Turbo Indirect Injection???

Thanks much!!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Why is the line on the top of the LDA leaving the engine compartment?

It`s an illusion, the hose is below for the fuel return, the LDA has the nipple taped in black.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

DI and IDI are acronyms that have been used to describe different diesel engines of various makes for many years. As far as I know, VW coined the TDI acronym and state it as standing for Turbo Direct Injection (all of their prior diesel engines were indirect injection).
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

I'm just having my first coffee now but can someone explain to me why it looks like there are 3 cooling hoses going to the oil cooler? Optical illusion or is one of them capped off. I was trying to understand the coolant flow in that set up versus mine.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

IDI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_injection#Indirect_injection
DI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_injection#Direct_injection

IDI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_injection

TDI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TDI_(engine)

Last edited by ZsZ on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:52 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
I'm just having my first coffee now but can someone explain to me why it looks like there are 3 cooling hoses going to the oil cooler? Optical illusion or is one of them capped off. I was trying to understand the coolant flow in that set up versus mine.

optical illusion, but the coolant flow is set up wrong. There are 3 hose connection only two connected one is plugged. The AAZ and the CS coolant flow is mixed.

The original 1.6D had the oil cooler in between the hose to the reservoir and the hose from the radiator. In this setup the coolant flows through the cooler when the thermostat is open.

The AAZ has a different system. The oil cooler is connected between the bypass hose and the common heater/aux. cooler return line. In this way the coolant flows through the oil cooler either the thermostat is open or closed.

With the setup on the pic, the oil cooler is connected between the bypass hose and the hose from the radiator. It is wrong because cold coolant flows from the radiator through the oil cooler when the thermostat is closed. The engine reaches the operating temperature much slower if reaches it at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this TDI engine? Reply with quote

Waldo, how about an example of a TDI model sold that was not computer controlled?

To the original poster. This sounds like a red flag situation. You will need someone very knowledgeable to sort this out. The number of folks willing to get in the middle of this, that know what they are doing, can probably be counted on both hands.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: