Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Fastback rear luggage area light
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: 1970 Fastback rear luggage area light Reply with quote

Anyone know which light fitting will fit in the existing standard hole in the rear luggage area of a 1970 Fastback ? The hole for the light on mine is 80.5 mm long x 22.7 wide.
I have a 113 947 1112 unit, which I bought because it said the length was 80 mm, but the internal plastic is too wide to fit in the hole - close, but no cigar. Will have to be returned
CIP have 111 947 111 which says it is for a "Squareback Above rear hatch" - But is the hole in the squareback the same size as the hole in the Fasty ? One would think so, but I don't have a Squareback to compare with ! Plus the picture on the CIP site shows the ends of the unit to be clightly "squarer" than the outline of the old light that is visible in the paint on my car. (The old light was missing when I got the car).
Plus most fittings seem to have switches, which require 3 wires. Why would you need a switch in the trunk ??? It just needs to come on when the lid is open, and there is a switch for this on the hinge arm. So presumably I need a fitting with no switch, and just 2 wire bayonet fittings, not 3.
Which fits ?
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback rear luggage area light Reply with quote

ISP has a light that will fit. 151 947 111A it was used in convertible bugs. The original is the same oval but no switch. Originals are hard to find.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback rear luggage area light Reply with quote

Holy Moly - Did you see the price ??????? $75 - $139,95 !!! And I would still have to pay freight to Aus !! Sorry, my car isn't going to have a light you never see (in the trunk) that costs that much !! I will make the existing hole big enough to take the one I have which cost me a whole $10 or so !!
Appreciate the input though.
G
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback rear luggage area light Reply with quote

In the end I stayed with the more easily available 113 947 1112 light unit because it was cheap and still a VW unit. I used my dremel to increase the length and width of the hole by 2 mm, and the light fitting clipped in perfectly.
I then tried to make the light work Brick wall Rolling Eyes I checked all the wiring to the rear lights and number plate light, and the trunk switch, and they all seemed correct - But just couldn't get power to the light. Suddenly the Idea went on - Read the handbook. "Vehicle lights must be turned on for the trunk light to operate". Laughing Put the main lights on, and bingo, the trunk light works - And also goes out when the trunk lid is closed.
Job completed. But why on earth would they wire it up so you have to have the car lights on for the boot light to work ??????? Question

Dfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback rear luggage area light Reply with quote

Crazy engineers or they thought you only needed that light in the dark.
In 15 years of ownership I have only Seen
One in the swap meet in California.

N
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback rear luggage area light Reply with quote

looking good Cool
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback rear luggage area light Reply with quote

ISP west
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback rear luggage area light Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
ISP west

Yes, see DFasty's post earlier in thread. Price is US$75 (thats $105 Australian) plus freight to Australia - For a light that is so hidden in the trunk that you can't even see it when the lid is open !!!! As already stated, No thank you !!! My Aus $ 10 (US$ 6) locally sourced one is just fine.
Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: