Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red taillight stays on with the ignition off
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Red taillight stays on with the ignition off Reply with quote

Hello,

1987 Vanagon 1.6 Diesel ( JX engine code ) owner. Recently i have noticed that when parking the vanagon, one of the red tail lights stays on (only one) - nothing is on in front. The lights switch is OFF all the way , of course.

If I put the key into the ignition (withot starting the engine) said light turns off. Only thing i could do is to remove the ( - ) cable at the battery.

Can someone explain or suggest a solution to this annoying problem ?

Thanks.
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar situation and it ended up being the brake switches on the master cylinder. Mine too only lit up on one side because the constant power burned the bulb up on the other side. If you hit the brake pedal does the bulb turn off?

82 Diesel Westy
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your turn indicator turned off?
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boof1306 wrote:

Yep that was the culprit. If i leave my turn indicator in either left or right positions and turn off the engine (and remove the key), the corresponding rear red taillight (i think is the brake light) will stay on. Strange ! Smile
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komissar wrote:
boof1306 wrote:

Yep that was the culprit. If i leave my turn indicator in either left or right positions and turn off the engine (and remove the key), the corresponding rear red taillight (i think is the brake light) will stay on. Strange ! Smile

NOT strange... as designed! Very Happy My German market Transporter SC also has this feature.
jacklndn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feature is common in European cars to act as a visibility marker when you park the car on a rural or unlit road.
NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Red taillight stays on with the ignition off. Reply with quote

bump.

I have a similar problem with my newly acquired van ('84). The brake lights remain illuminated regardless of key position or if they are even in the ign. I discovered this as I was troubleshooting why the interior lights did not work and discovered fuse 8 was pulled from the panel. after installing a new fuse the lights work, hurray, however my brake lights will not go out unless I remove the fuse (which I have). I have started to trace out the wiring diagram on the assumption that they may (but both are on) be shorted somewhere...? Ihad hoped it might have been that turn signal "feature" mentioned previously but sadly this is not so simple...

anyone else run into this and can provide guidance while I fumble my way through it?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Red taillight stays on with the ignition off Reply with quote

At least one of your brake light switches is faulty, and is stuck on. If your brake light warning light on the dash is on, then just one switch is faulty. If that is off, then both are.

You need the three-pin version of the brake light switches, not the later two-pin. Buy two, replace both, and if only one was faulty use the other good one as a spare. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: