Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

74-

Here are the photos of the Type 3 rear brakes on the Thing.

As I had mentioned they look just like any old drum brakes; the only difference is that the (two piece) drums are a larger diameter than Thing drums, and the shoes are quite a bit wider than Thing shoes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, once more into the breech.
Pedal cluster is next.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

I have always wanted to do the Type III rear brake drum conversion to my Thing but with the wide 5.

Did you need to use any new spacers between the drum and axle nut?

Did it change the mounting of the wheel in or out compared to the Thing rear 181 brake drum?
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

I always thought that Type3 and Thing rear brake shoes were the same diameter and width. And that just the drums were wider for a Thing.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
I always thought that Type3 and Thing rear brake shoes were the same diameter and width. And that just the drums were wider for a Thing.

No the Thing rear brakes use a Type 1 shoe while the Type III uses the wider and bigger Type III shoes.

Basically the rear Thing brake drums are wide 5 and push the wheel mounting out a bit due to a thicker face (heavy) and have a longer snout, but when it comes to braking they use Type 1 shoes so they offer no braking advantage plus the weight of the drums add to unsprung weight and are expensive.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

74-
If I am not mistaken, you can use "old style" T3 drums, (don't know the years) which are one piece and "wide 5".

This stuff was a direct replacement (no spacers, etc.). I doubt that the overall "track" of the rear wheels has changed much; maybe 10mm or so.

You can see from the scabs on the brake drum that I have mounted one of my wheels just to have a look at it. I have 4 lug "gas burner" look-a-likes with Vredestein Sprint Classic 185VR15 tires (which are the correct diameter speedo-wise) and they look good and clear everything.

Keep in mind that I have not driven this car since the brake work, (and won't for a few months) but the pedal feels right, so I have a good feeling about this (so far).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Where did you get the backing plates and cylinders and the rest of the brake hardware and shoes from for the Type III rears?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

74-

I bought the complete OEVW rear brakes "set" used from the Samba classifieds.

The drums were a little too far gone for my liking, so I replaced them with Brembo (made in China Sad ) drums. The shoes, cylinders and spring kits came from a regular on-line VW parts place.

So, as it turned out, all I used from the original VW stuff was the hubs and backing plates.

In general, Type 3 parts are not as readily available as Type 1, but still more so than 181 specific parts.

The parts for all of this brake work were considerably less expensive than the CSP front disc brake kit. I am hoping for good results.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

I spent a couple of hours today replacing the rubber boots on my tie rod ends.
They were all nice and tight, and clean inside, but the boots were just beginning to crack.
The job was uneventful, but I have one small item to share:

I used a welder's Vice Grips...

to squeeze the joints together enough to engage the taper so the castellated nuts could be tightened. My 19mm socket fit nicely in the "horseshoe".

Worked like a champ!

More later, Mondshine
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Excellent tip on the welder's clamp, I hate that situation, too bad I won't remember this when I'm there again Embarassed .
72 Baja
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

A productive afternoon in the GarageMahal.

I have finished building the main wiring harness, and have it (mostly) routed.
The wire raceway along the tunnel is in; now there's a big clump of spaghetti at the front of the tunnel and at the bulkhead inside the engine compartment.

I am waiting for a part for my gas heater; once it gets here I can finish up the dashboard wiring, brake reservoir hoses, heater & pump, steering column and fuel tank.

Still lots to do, but it's good clean fun!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

So all the wires fit in the raceway?
72 Baja
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Jako-
No.
I had to cheat. I used "ENT" non-metallic flexible conduit, 3/4".
It is held against the tunnel with M6 screws and cushioned P-clips.
It looks "OK", and should protect the wiring from misguided kicks.

I have increased the size of the main artery fo 8AWG, and have added several additional wires to the harness.
My Oil temp and oil pressure gauges and their sensors have their own ground wires, so this time I chose to ground them all to the chassis at the same location (as recommended). That means a couple of extra wires back to front. The 3/4" conduit made this possible, along with using the original heavy gauge Terminal 50 starter solenoid wire to eliminate the need for a relay back there.

So all of the extra back-to-front wires; 4 for cruise control, 3 for oil pressure, 2 for oil temp, 1 for tach, 2 for CHT, 1 for rear fog =13 extra wires (YIKES).

Here's a photo of the conduit. I think once the seats are in place, it won't be quite so ugly.

The tunnel is covered with basketeweave material that matches my seats. I think it looks a little nicer like that.

I will post more photos once it's more complete.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I am waiting for a pair of hand brake cables to arrive; the old (original?) ones had about a million cracks in the outer housings (with rust seeping through the cracks).
I will make some photos when the new cables are in.

Basically, the Type 3 rear brakes (including the T3 backing plates) were a direct swap.
The drums are a larger diameter than Thing drums, and the brake shoes are considerably wider than Thing shoes (maybe half again). The Type 3 wheel cylinders are slightly different; the mounting bolt "ear" is different, but the cylinder bore diameter is the same.

The Thing stub axles had some radial wiggle, so I have replaced the rear wheel bearings & seals. Now they feel right, and I know what's in there.

I have finished removing the main wiring harness, and stripped off the jacket. As usual, the black ignition wire had been overheated and had been repaired in 3 different places. In one instance, the guy just ran a new (too skinny) black wire along the outside of the jacket.
In case I wasn't convinced already, that circuit should be fused. (I am convinced.)

I have decided to remove the diagnostic plug from the engine compartment in an attempt to reduce the bulk of the main harness. Disappointingly, there were only 2 or 3 wires from the diagnostic plug that run to the front of the car.
So I am down to 9 wires running back to front.
I want to add about 8 more wires for gauges and cruise control, etc.
20 AWG wire will be more than adequate for sensors, etc.
I plan to substitute an 8 AWG (fused at the battery) for the red/white "main artery" that runs to the front "30".
I hope it all fits into that "raceway/guard" that runs along the tunnel.
If not, Plan B will be to substitute a 20 AWG wire for the heavy red/black Terminal 50 wire at the ignition switch to trigger a relay (hot start style) to power the starter solenoid. That would reduce the bulk of the main harness somewhat; it would contain only one 8 AWG, one 12 AWG, and lots of skinny wires.

That's about it for now. Fixin' to spend some money at the powder coater in the next few days.

More later, Mondshine

If ur lookin to lighten up the wires, beef up fuse 7, get rid of 8 and split g/red at the rear for the tail lamps M2 and M4. Not sure why fuse 7 feeds both of the front markers from one wire but the rears took an extra fuse and extra wire.

Lookin good...
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

A few productive hours today in the GarageMahal.
I have completed the main wiring harness (except tor the terminations, which will happen much later).

I have ditched that stupid looking flexible conduit (I don't know what I was thinking) and have replaced it with regular 3/4" EMT. It looks much better now, black wrinkle paint makes it almost invisible (the look I was going for).

I have installed my battery disconnect switch, and run new battery cables.

My Harbor Freight hand-held hydraulic crimper did a perfect job on those 2AWG terminals.

Still waiting for my gas heater flame switch; it was shipped promptly from Toronto, but it has been sitting at US Customs in Chicago for a week now.

Once the heater is up and running, I will re-install the fuel tank and start working on the dashboard wiring.

I have built a marine plywood base that matches the shape of the floor under the rear seat bench on the driver's side. It is clamped down just like the battery is, and is the mount for my little air compressor, air tank, and cruise control servo. (Nice that this '73 has a second battery mount on the driver's side; won't need to Swiss cheese the floor to mount this stuff.
I will post photos of it once it is in place.

Just 6 months to go until it's "top-down-warm" outside again!

More later, Mondshine
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Nice work! I like the conduit solution, looks good and the loom is well protected.

I'll have to check out that crimper, I probably have a coupon around somewhere. Cool
72 Baja
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

I received the replacement flame switch for my gas heater, and the heater is now working perfectly. I set it for 150 seconds of run-on.

Now, I am debating taking it apart to paint or powder coat the outer case.

I sort of like those bright orange heaters, although supposedly orange indicates a rebuilt unit.
I'll think about it for a couple of days; put it off 'til next year.

Happy New Year Everybody! More fun in '21.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Orange please, yes. (what made me think I get a vote Rolling Eyes )
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Kevin... Of course you get a vote!

I cleaned and re-greased my CV Joints today. Got to be one of my favorite tasks Rolling Eyes
I love the smell of MoS2 in the morning.

I re-used the axles and CV's from the old car; they're German GKN. I will just keep the ones that came with the '73 for posterity.

My "wrong size" Rockford CV boots still look like new. They must be 10 years old at least; I can't even remember when I bought them.
The guy that I got my grease from (owns a vintage VW/Porsche repair business) told me that the way forward for CV boots for Things and Busses is PN 191498201; The inner boots for many water cooled models.
Example: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/191498201B

Well, that's it for now, Mondshine
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Can't speak to the T-III to 181 brake conversion, but...I robbed the whole mess off a rusting fasty, turned the drums, new shoes, and put them on my '69 bug (rear). No modification and, while still venerable braking, improved stopping markedly. A set of EMPI discs up front (still talking bug), and I would be a happy camper. I thought the 181 rear brakes were already superior to the T-III...let me/us know how they perform...come the day. Beep Beep!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

The guy that I got my grease from (owns a vintage VW/Porsche repair business) told me that the way forward for CV boots for Things and Busses is PN 191498201; The inner boots for many water cooled models.
Example: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/191498201B

Well, that's it for now, Mondshine

Why is this? Are they more durable/ better rubber? German?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: