Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

obus wrote:
mondshine wrote:

The guy that I got my grease from (owns a vintage VW/Porsche repair business) told me that the way forward for CV boots for Things and Busses is PN 191498201; The inner boots for many water cooled models.
Example: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/191498201B

Well, that's it for now, Mondshine

Why is this? Are they more durable/ better rubber? German?

He told me that the GKN/Lobro boots are of much higher quality that the typical Chinese aftermarket CV boots.
But now-a-days, products from a German manufacturer are not necessarily made in Germany; in fact, usually not.
Maybe it's a matter of availability; another consideration is that those 191498201 boots are made for contemporary cars, so maybe even stocked at a VW dealer (for big bucks I assume).
Anyway, I don't know where those GKN boots are made. When mine croak, I will look into it.

My Rockford boots are still like new, so for now, I am sticking with them. (The "LITFA" rule.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

For 35 years, it’s always been swingaxle for me. But when I had a 68 Bus, I used EMPI carded CV boots. They help up very well. I know... hard to believe.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
For 35 years, it’s always been swingaxle for me. But when I had a 68 Bus, I used EMPI carded CV boots. They help up very well. I know... hard to believe.

Right!? When I was in the Subaru community, those guys would swear by EMPI axles. Shocked
I think they sometimes through off a good one.
72 Baja
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

I made some progress yesterday with the mounting for my little air compressor and cruise control servo.
All of this stuff is mounted on a piece of 1/2" marine plywood, shaped to fit the floor under the rear seat bench where the aux, battery would go. Using the battery mount means that no holes through the floor were needed.

The "Magnum Opus"...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The gray hose runs through the tunnel to a solenoid valve which is mounted to the front "inspection cover" to power the horns inside the front bumper.
The relay sockets are for the compressor and the oil cooler fan.
The fuse panel holds 5 fuses (and a couple of spares). The top two are powered by Terminal 15 (the ignition circuit) and are for the cruise control and the triggers for the relays. The bottom three fuses are powered by a fuse at the Battery+ and are for the compressor, the oil cooler fan, and a utility socket in the engine compartment.
I was able to use an existing hole (apparently for the aux. battery cable) for the cruise control throttle cable, but I had to make two more holes next to the one that was already there for additional wires. The two pin connector is for the pickup coil on the transaxle for the cruise control "VSS". The vinyl hose carries the cruise control tach signal wire (it is shielded), and the thermocouple leads for the CHT gauge (not installed yet).

This is the battery + connection that I intend to use:
(stock photo)

I will use a 400 Amp (mega) fuse for the starter "30", a 40 Amp (midi) for the 8AWG main artery to the front, and a 30 Amp (midi) to power the compressor and oil cooler fan.

I am trying to stick with regular wiring conventions... grounds are brown, battery-red, ignition black, etc., but mixing that with SAE type devices can be confusing (where black is ground, red is hot, etc.). So I am documenting what I have done either for the next guy, or for me, next week, when I have forgotten all of this stuff.

Anyway, that's it for now.
More later, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Always nice to see your progress!

I never heard of marine plywood before.

I assume it holds up in harsh weather conditions.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Marine plywood is just a little more durable than the regular stuff; it has no voids in the layers. I bought a 2'x2' piece, and have most of it left over.
Sometimes, I pity my son, who will have to get rid of all this crap when I cross the river Styx.
Anyway, I would rather that it never gets wet.

I have decided to re-paint the outer case of my BN4 heater.
I still can't decide between gray or orange. I think the orange color designates "factory rebuilt", but I like the look. Tough decision, but I do have one vote for orange so far.
Opinions?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

I thought the orange ones were in the buses.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

74-
It seems to me that I have seen photos of orange heaters in military 181's.
Both of the heaters in that photo are from busses.
Anyway, I haven't made up my mind; gray seems like it would be less controversial. I will think about it for a few more days.

I hope to see my powder coated engine sheet metal within the next couple of weeks. I will enjoy putting that stuff back together.

I feel like I'm on the downstroke here, but there are probably some unpleasant tasks that I have forgotten about. Cleaning and greasing the CV joints had to be the low point thus far (I hate that job).

Overall, almost all of this is going "as planned". Good clean fun.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
74-

The orange BN-4 heaters in a German Typ-181 indicated that they were inspected and usually overhauled prior to or after an inspection by the Technischer Überwachungsverein (TÜV ).
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:
mondshine wrote:
74-

The orange BN-4 heaters in a German Typ-181 indicated that they were inspected and usually overhauled prior to or after an inspection by the Technischer Überwachungsverein (TÜV ).

Well Michael...
Since I did inspect and repair this heater, and since I seem to have a soft spot for the orange color, I have gone orange.

Photos later, Mondshine
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Another productive afternoon in the GarageMahal.

I have completed all of the wiring in the back half of the car. The only wires not yet connected are those that are directly connected to the engine (still out, waiting for powder coated sheet metal).

Next, I plan to work inside the trunk; install the heater and its pump, fuel tank, new fuel hoses, etc. For fuel hose, I went with the Flennor (Germany) Multi-Fuel Hose 3.2mm for the heater, and 5mm for the carburetor.
It's rated for up to 85% ethanol.
That Flennor hose looks very similar to the old style braided hose, except it is rated for modern fuel.

After that, all of the dashboard wiring.

Slow progress, but good clean fun!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Small steps...
Installed the heater today.

I was able to use two of the mounting studs to secure my "Howdy-Doody" relay panel. I had to re-engineer the thing due to the location of the BN4 air inlet.
Anyway, the relays are more easily accessible now, and no additional holes.
This odd perspective shows the thing to the left of and parallel with the steering column.

That's it for today, Mondshine
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

After a few days off, I got back to work this weekend.

The electrical system is almost done, but I had a couple of setbacks.

I discovered a horrible (well, at least careless) mistake; I had omitted a wire from the engine compartment to the dash, so after adding another back-to-front wire to the main harness, now that's done.
While replacing the brake fluid hoses from the reservoir to the master cylinder, I had disturbed one of the rubber seals between the MC and the plastic nipples, causing a leak. On closer inspection, I discovered that my "thought to be OK" master cylinder was full of rust. So I ordered a new German MC; guess the fuel tank is coming back out. I should have just done that from the outset.

I have received my powder coated engine tin, but I have promised myself to leave that stuff alone until the electrical system is finished.

So for now, my plan is to complete all of the electrics by the end of January, and have the engine in by the end of February. That leaves a couple of months for everything that I have forgotten.

Just 54 days 'til Spring, and Springtime is Thingtime!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Some progress over the last couple of days.
I have pretty much finished the wiring, and (for now) the IP is buttoned up.

If it looks familiar, that's because it is from the old car.

I'm sure that I will have those panels down again for one reason or another, but for now, I am calling it done.

Now, it's time to put the engine back together. If it is in and running by the end of February, I will consider myself to be "on schedule".

Just 45 days until Spring, and Springtime is Thingtime!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Yippee!
Engine is in and wired up.
I cranked the engine with the ignition off, and the oil light went out after about 12-15 seconds.
Tomorrow, I will buy a few gallons of gas, and try to arouse the sleeping beast.
Wish me luck!

Edit:

Er... er... er... VROOM!
The engine ran beautifully. I need to add a couple of fuel pump gaskets to get the fuel pressure down to 2.5-3 PSI, but otherwise all is good. No runs, no drips, no errors.
The new Vintage Speed extra-quiet exhaust sounds great!

Still lots of work to do, but it is 15º here in the World's Motor Capital, and it's snowing like a "melon farmer".

Anyway, I feel good about this project; on schedule for some top-down motoring.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

About a month ago, I ran into an odd detail that I need help with.

I have part # 113701293C which is the rubber boot that fits an oval shaped hole in the chassis where the clutch and throttle cable exit the tunnel.

The odd thing is that this '73 chassis seems to have no provision for this boot. The place where the two steel tubes exit the tunnel is just flat, with the steel tubes sticking out far enough to take the two bowden tubes; but there is no oval shaped hole to accept the lip of the rubber boot.

The clutch and throttle work as they should, and it doesn't look like any sort of repair has been made to the area.

I have never seen this before; any ideas?

Last edited by mondshine on Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
About a month ago, I ran into an odd detail that I need help with.

I have part # 113701293C which is the rubber boot that fits an oval shaped hole in the chassis where the clutch and throttle cable exit the tunnel.

The odd thing is that this '73 chassis seems to have no provision for this boot. The place where the two steel tubes exit the tunnel is just flat, with the steel tubes sticking car enough to take the two bowden tubes; but there is no oval shaped hole to accept the lip of the rubber boot. My 73 had the remnants of one of these in it. I just took the engine and trans out.

The clutch and throttle work as they should, and it doesn't look like any sort of repair has been made to the area.

I have never seen this before; any ideas?

Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Hey, Mondshine. On my 73 there is an oval cutout where the tubes come through the frame to the left of the front transmission mount. The lip of the boot fits into that cutout (not the best fit in the world but it works). Here are some pictures. Hope this helps.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Yes Dougster, your photos illustrates exactly what I had expected to find.

I crawled under there with the new boot in my hand, and this is what I saw:

I've never seen anything like this before; just wondering if anybody else has encountered this.

I think I will just use marine grade adhesive lined heat shrink tubing to keep water out of there.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Looks like it was modified by some home "handywork" and galvanized metal. Is it epoxied on or something?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: