Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Looks like it was modified by some home "handywork" and galvanized metal. Is it epoxied on or something?

No, not galvanized, that's just my lousy photography (it's kind of a tight spot).
That's all real body metal. The splotchy blue area is lit by my (blue-ish) LED work light; it's really the same color as the body.
The red grease hides it, but the tubes seem to be welded (relatively neatly) around their circumferences.

I crawled under there and made another photo, after cleaning off some of the red grease:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In this second photo, the camera (phone) is resting on the clutch bowden tube.

Anyway, I won't sweat over this very much; I think that the adhesive lined heat shrink will seal these things at least as well as the original boot does.
(The original boot does not create a truly positive seal anyway.)

I guess this is just one of those funny details that are "part of the business".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Is there a seal on the tranny nosecone?

Yep, the photo made it appear different. Looks good as is. Damn Things, lol.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

That makes me think about looking for parts before the internet. Who knows for years that grommet may have been effectively unobtainable so the owner made do. I remember finally locating a door hinge for a karmann ghia many years ago, and that was from getting an out of state phone number off a paper catalog someone gave me.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Kevin-
That boot is a standard Beetle part.
It's hard to believe that somebody would do that hack just to avoid buying a $5 part that's easy to get. I wonder if maybe the clutch cable tube came loose, and that's how it was fixed. Actually, this is the most I have thought about this in over a month. Maybe tomorrow, I will look inside the tunnel with my borescope camera (or, maybe ignorance is bliss and I'll just stop thinking about this).

74-
Yes on the nose cone seal. That seal is in good condition; no reason to pull the transmission.

The more I look at those tubes, the more I think that it's not a hack job, but I just cannot explain what is there. Oh well, another unsolved mystery.

My next goal is to work on the electrics in the trunk. I have new German turn signal rubbers, rubber conduits and drains for the headlight buckets. I will install the Hella H4 headlights from the old car. The old car had LED "H4 replacement bulbs" which I might use. The cut-off pattern is not as sharp as with the halogens, but they are BRIGHT! I will think about that one for a while.

Today, it has gone above freezing here in Detroit, so I am getting ants in my pants to finish this project, knowing that a Thing project is never really "finished", and that it will still be months until it's above 70º here.

Although I have been driving Things for over 40 years, still nothing beats the first top-down drive of the Spring.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Ha! I didn't think about it being a beetle part, I've never replaced one. I wouldn't want the job of welding around those tubes in situ. It looks good though.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

It appears it was manufactured that way.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
It appears it was manufactured that way.

Yep, weird!

This morning, I used my Howdy-Doody borescope camera to take a look inside the tunnel.

In this photo the camera is laying between the two tubes where they are visible when the inspection cover under the rear seat bench is removed. The camera is pointed towards the rear of the car.
I can't see any evidence of a repair back there.
I also took a look into the tunnel toward the front of the car, and I didn't see anything unusual.

I am going to forget that I ever brought this up. I am calling it an unsolved mystery.
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Every "Thing" is different... Laughing
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Bumpers on today; small steps.
I was happy to see a nice matchup between the VS tailpipes and the bumper holes.

Just 22 days until Spring!
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Very nice. Beautiful line up with those tailpipes. Are those tails wired up in conjunction with each other?

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

I am slightly embarrassed about those lights. I bought this car that way.

The extra lights are sort of goofy, but not a deal breaker for me, since the car this one replaces was wrecked in a rear end collision.

Those are real 181 part numbered lights. The red portions light with the brake lights. The yellow portions have red (5 Watt equivalent) LED bulbs in them, and function as rear fogs.

The standard (upper) brake lights are wired through a "Webelectric BLP-1" pulsing module which pulses the bulbs 4 times upon braking, then they just act like normal brake lights. The module resets after 20 seconds, to avoid nuisance pulsing in heavy traffic.

With luck, no more rear-enders.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Looking clean and yes, no more rear ending!
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I am slightly embarrassed about those lights. I bought this car that way.

With luck, no more rear-enders.

I like them, I would love to see a short video of them in operation.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

77-
I am not set up to host videos, but...
With luck, you can see them in person at Kubel Treffen East, or Things Northeast this Summer.
I am itching for a 181 road trip once the weather turns warm (no trailer queens here) !

77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

I doubt that I will be at either of those this year. Altho' I did meet you at Dover a few years back, and also Flanders after that. Very Happy

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:
Altho' I did meet you at Dover a few years back, and also Flanders after that. Very Happy

I remember Flanders...

Those Grateful Dead bus boys were really whooping it up.

And the Dover KTE was fantastic, thanks to our host and friend Bill.

(By the way... my wrecked Well Traveled 181 is now in the hands of the couple in the lead; driving the "Orange Crush" Thing. Ty is looking right at me; as if he knows what the future holds.)

Anyway, I have enjoyed many 181 road trips in the last ~40 years; mostly in the "gone, but not forgotten" Well Traveled 181.

With luck, 2021 will start a new chapter in my Thing Adventure History.
I hope to be able to take it for a spin on April Fool's Day (if the weather cooperates).
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

A productive day in the GarageMahal.
The sleeping critter actually moved under its own power today.

It's a sunny day here in Detroit, but only 38º now.

Still lots of work to do, but time enough to be ready for warm weather.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Lovin' the gas burners! Cool
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin-
They are actually 5.5x15 EMPI knock-offs; the real Mahle ones are big bucks, especially 4 lug.
I have a 5.5x15 steel wheel for the spare.

Tight fit, but no contact with the lid.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mondshine, how is the new Thing coming along? Reply with quote

YIPPEE!
First top-down drive of 2021.
So far, everything works.
Now, I just need it to be about 20º warmer outside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: