Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Tiguan CV Boot option ......... 2wd non-lifted
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

Another interesting thing to note, is that when I received my initial order from the dealership, it was four identical boxes. However, one of them contained a boot that had the same serial number, but was made in Poland instead of Germany, was marked with a "B" at the end of the number, as was substantially smaller. Something to keep an eye out for if you order them.

I will definitely be updating as I put some miles on them.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

just replaced a less than one year old torn boot.

I'm subscribing - would love to see a decent replacement part.

has anyone tried the CV boot covers? like these - https://sealsavers.com/product/proseries-cvsavers/

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I'm glad there is another guinea pig out there!

I hope my recommendation works out for others.

Thanks for figuring out that these worked, and for sharing!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

Christopholi wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
I'm glad there is another guinea pig out there!

I hope my recommendation works out for others.

Thanks for figuring out that these worked, and for sharing!

Well, credit where it's due. Others in the Bay forum found the boot's size and bought one to measure in person. Then sent it to me to install on my Bus and report. So while I didn't find it, I may well be the first person to install one just to see if it would fit!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
I am on my second set of boots. 33 years and 370k miles, Carat height. What have I done wrong? SERIOUSLY.

Not lifted, factory lowered height that keeps CV operating angles down would be a good guess.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
I am on my second set of boots. 33 years and 370k miles, Carat height. What have I done wrong? SERIOUSLY.

My 91 with 340K is on its second set. The first set didn't even fail, they just got removed because of age and mileage.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

Just purchased two of these to test trial. Ill have one rear axle with these, another with some meyle that actually feel really nice.

On the front I have lobro thermoplastic on the outer and the same meyle on the inner. So far after 1.5K and a lot of 4X4 and dirt road the front set up looks great. Will post some picks when done with rears.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

If we want to make sense of it, we need real info so we can compare failures for the same boot.

-Ride height center of hub to fender lip.
-German axle or chinese axle ( chinese axles often have different shapes at the small end of the boot)
-Clamped small end?
-Type of clamp.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

I just replaced a torn GNK-Loebro CV boot that I installed on my Vanagon 10 years ago. Drivers side axle inner side had the classic tear at the small end. No clamps used.

The outer GNK-Loebro CV boot was intact but had some cracking in the pleats. The passenger side axle CV boots are about the same as that drivers side outer with some cracking but serviceable.

Pulled the drivers side axle with the torn boot and did the ceremonial repacking of both the CV joints. I did have two new Rockford CV boots on the shelf that I installed.

In hindsight I should have used something else based on the poor service life by some here. We will see.

I plan on pulling the passenger side axle to refresh the CV boots and will try the Tiguan CV boots. A little research shows 1K0498201B fits a number of late model VWs. I do like that smaller boot OD too.

Pelican has a selection of three suppliers for that CV boot including one without the streamlined boot. I am thinking using GNK-Loebro again. At $28.25 with free shipping worth a shot.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_s...K0-498-201

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thought I would post an update on my installation. The Subaru conversion is (mostly) done, and I have about 400kms (250miles) on them now. I know that isn't much, but we were seeing Rockfords fail within that amount. The new boots look pretty much the same as when they were installed. I will continue to update as I put more road under them.

As per Alika's suggestion, here is my current ride height (centre of hub to edge of fender):

Front: 18"
Rear: 18.25"

I am running original German axels, and newish GKN/Lobro CVS with Black Moly CV grease.

Right Inner

Right Outer

Left Inner

Left Outer

Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
I just replaced a torn GNK-Loebro CV boot that I installed on my Vanagon 10 years ago. Drivers side axle inner side had the classic tear at the small end. No clamps used.

The outer GNK-Loebro CV boot was intact but had some cracking in the pleats. The passenger side axle CV boots are about the same as that drivers side outer with some cracking but serviceable.

Pulled the drivers side axle with the torn boot and did the ceremonial repacking of both the CV joints. I did have two new Rockford CV boots on the shelf that I installed.

In hindsight I should have used something else based on the poor service life by some here. We will see.

I plan on pulling the passenger side axle to refresh the CV boots and will try the Tiguan CV boots. A little research shows 1K0498201B fits a number of late model VWs. I do like that smaller boot OD too.

Pelican has a selection of three suppliers for that CV boot including one without the streamlined boot. I am thinking using GNK-Loebro again. At $28.25 with free shipping worth a shot.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_s...K0-498-201

While it is possible that the GKN/Lobro versions are fine, part of this exercise is to source a part from VW with a superior rubber compound that third party producers may not have access to. That said, it will be good to get data from all the versions.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

I ordered some of these Tiguan boots and have then on hand now. I can say that compared to every other boot I have had on my syncro, the material feels very nice. You can tell its a OEM part. Its kind of a combo between the standard rubber you are familiar with and thermoplastic material. Plus the extra pleats seem like they would help alleviate some strain.

Ill update when installed (should be next few weeks.) These are going on a lifted syncro with ride heights of about 19.5" all the way around so is the extreme end of stress these boot will endure (for most of us that is.)
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

Possible silly question: Will these fit the Porsche 930 CV's? They do use a different stub axle so not sure about the hole pattern.
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
Possible silly question: Will these fit the Porsche 930 CV's? They do use a different stub axle so not sure about the hole pattern.

No, those are a different diameter entirely. (100 v 108 IIRC)

I run the 930s in the rear of mine, and the boots have held up really well. Unsure what brand, they came with the kit from Burley.

Robyn
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

"While it is possible that the GKN/Lobro versions are fine, part of this exercise is to source a part from VW with a superior rubber compound that third party producers may not have access to"

VW/Audi do not manufacture their own CV boots (or most other peripheral components) and will sub-out to companies like GNK-Lobro. So in most cases you are buying exactly the same part aftermarket or off the shelf at the dealer.

The biggest problem is junk china counterfeit parts getting into the automotive supply chain. There is a big problem with many automotive consumables like NGK spark plugs, oil + air filters and even GNK-Lobro CV boots.

Buying at the VW dealer is a safer bet to avoid counterfeit parts. But not always. The parts manager could buy the deep discounted good looking counterfeit parts rather than using higher priced OEM VW. Then that end of month P+L will look better in the department.

I do suggest using the dealer for routine electrical non-consumables like ignition switches, temp senders and the like. There is a quality difference on the OEM electrical parts
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:

VW/Audi do not manufacture their own CV boots (or most other peripheral components) and will sub-out to companies like GNK-Lobro. So in most cases you are buying exactly the same part aftermarket or off the shelf at the dealer.

I know with tires that there are A, B, C, and D quality ratings which are given after a tire is manufactured. Automobile manufacturers and brand name distributors get the A rated tires, while mom and pop garages end up with the D rated ones. The same thing may well happen with other parts like CV boots.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
"While it is possible that the GKN/Lobro versions are fine, part of this exercise is to source a part from VW with a superior rubber compound that third party producers may not have access to"

The biggest problem is junk china counterfeit parts getting into the automotive supply chain. There is a big problem with many automotive consumables like NGK spark plugs, oil + air filters and even GNK-Lobro CV boots.

Buying at the VW dealer is a safer bet to avoid counterfeit parts. But not always. The parts manager could buy the deep discounted good looking counterfeit parts rather than using higher priced OEM VW. Then that end of month P+L will look better in the department.

I do suggest using the dealer for routine electrical non-consumables like ignition switches, temp senders and the like. There is a quality difference on the OEM electrical parts

Oh, believe me they do purchase after market parts and sell them as OEM!!
When I worked in dealerships in the 70’s and 80’s it was standard procedure.

High turnover parts were common. Filters, spark plugs, etc.
keep a few that we’re genuine OEM in the manufacturers branded boxes for over the counter sales.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

Oh, believe me they do purchase after market parts and sell them as OEM!!

Yes indeed. I said counterfeit, correctly I should have said aftermarket. Although some unscrupulous parts managers will do anything for the big bonus.

I do recall the parts department wanting the OEM boxes back from the line techs, so they could repackage with "aftermarket" for retail.

VW was very good about brand labeling their OEM parts, sometimes with dates. Look for those to be sure.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

I received the 3 boots I ordered.

The VW one is much softer than the GKN, there`s also a couple interesting features that are different. The GKN box doesn`t say where it`s made...

The Febest made in China is a copy of the GKN, but made of rubber. The finish is good, the rubber quality I cannot tell.

One major concern I see with these is the OD of the bellows and mostly the stiffness of the GKN part, you can tell it`s made to work with reduced angles, like the ones on the car they are meant to go on....
I have to set them up on a trailing arm and axle to take pictures at various measured angles, prolly next week but the OD and stiffness don`t seem a good match to me at first sight.

TTYL!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW Tiguan CV Boot option Reply with quote

I really like this Tiquan boot concept.

I've ordered two genuine VAG boots and two GKN boots.

These are going on a standard height 2 wd GL unit.

I'll do one brand on each side.

I ordered them from FCP for they say they warranty EVERYTHING they sell.

If failure should happen? I'll be keeping a copy of the paper work handy! 🤷‍♂️😂

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: