Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Bug Man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on the meaning of a triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? I have 2 complete assys, appear all original, even has bulbs inside. Original screw on wire terminals.
Thanks for the help.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

Daves Bug Shop wrote:
Can anyone comment on the meaning of a triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? I have 2 complete assys, appear all original, even has bulbs inside. Original screw on wire terminals.
Thanks for the help.

Wrong thread but here you go.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

Daves Bug Shop wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I have always understood it to be for water drainage
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Daves Bug Shop wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I have always understood it to be for water drainage

Yep.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

Bugs had circles, buses had triangles (some early buses 55/56 buses came with circles too)...they fit but they aren't accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

VW used the round drain holes first and discovered that they didn't drain very well so they changed them to triangular holes. The triangular holes break the water tension and let the water drain much better than the round holes. I believe that bug, bus and Ghia covers all had round drain holes initially until VW discovered they didn't drain very well and made the change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

there's me thinking it was a secret message from the illuminati... Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
santagary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
VW used the round drain holes first and discovered that they didn't drain very well so they changed them to triangular holes. The triangular holes break the water tension and let the water drain much better than the round holes. I believe that bug, bus and Ghia covers all had round drain holes initially until VW discovered they didn't drain very well and made the change.

Now that makes perfect sense!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

My unmolested, un-restored June 1955 Oval Sunroof has her original "round" bullet water drain holes... FWIW...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Triangle shape drain hole in a bullet turn signal? Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
Bugs had circles, buses had triangles (some early buses 55/56 buses came with circles too)...they fit but they aren't accurate.

Also early Ghias had them, but since they are mounted rotated 90 degrees, the water drain hole 'triangle' is on the long edge of the trim piece. Oh and they are also chrome/stainless/aluminum on Ghias too but basically the same piece. Up '58-early '59 vintage that is...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: