Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lessis More
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Maybe a silly question but I will be taking the body off my 66 bug to work on the chassis this winter.

The body must be outside in a wet sometimes snowy environment.

The body will be on wood braces elevated off the grass.

Could be out there for 6 months....... or longer if I know me.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

If the body is complete and weather tight with all widows and doors in place I see no problem. The only thing I would suggest is keep it high enough to allow good air circulation and watch for rodents. Maybe a bit of mouse poison placed in the heater ducts?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Cover it with a good quality tarp.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

& use some 2X4 wood blocks on the roof/fenders to keep the tarp from touching the body.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lessis More
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Thanks all!

I'll be getting a breathable car cover as well.... Nothing fancy but should do the trick for a few months.

By the way.. I just discovered a mouse living in my headliner. d'oh!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

What kind of mouse? Or a Norway rat?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Funny thing - in another storage thread I suggested a tarp and got jumped all over. I didn't on this one and it is recommended!

Opinions change.

A tarp does work but it must be in a wind free spot AND tightened up to stop it from rubbing. Car covers with a soft backing are better.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

There should be a way to prevent moisture from collecting on the inside of the cover. Not as much of problem in cold weather as in hot, but worth mentioning.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Maybe consider cutting some wood to replicate the chassis and bolt it up, so that the body is sealed? Otherwise anything with legs can crawl into it
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Any car covered outside in the wet weather will eventually collect mold and such on the inside.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Folks here store boats outside in the winter by making pvc frames over the boat and covering with a tarp so the tarp sheds water.
The key thing is having a gravel pad, the boat is off the ground, and the frame is longer, wider than the boat. Tarp is not on the boat itself.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Shrink wrap.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

I would put down heavy plastic on the ground and then plywood over the plastic. Prevent moisture from coming out of the ground. If the cover you put on is not breathable you’re better off leaving it open. Not sure but you might be better off leaving it uncovered. My 2 cents. Good luck

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

agreed 100% not even a year into my HF tarps and they started flaking until they were no more.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Far rider is correct. If there's any factory paint on the roof it is better off shedding water than having a tarp slowly rub all your paint off. Tarps will trap water if in contact at all. When I hated myself and my '74 Thing had to live outdoors for 2 years I used PVC pipe to elevate a cover above the paint. Water still got through- and the car drained just fine. but no damage to the paint occurred- and no moss, mice or mold.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

I have just a little experience storing things in damp environments. It needs to be at least a couple of feet off the ground so air can easily pass under it. If the windows are in it you really shouldn't need to tarp it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Build a frame for the tarp, like a makeshift shed roof like mentioned here. Then spray the body down with a water displacing long term rust proofing coating. Don't know what you have where you are from but WD40 makes one that works well. Fluid Film into the heater channels and inside of doors and anywhere else you can get the straw to go in and coat it real well. If you have good paint on the car wax it with a ceramic hybrid style wax, Mequires makes a good one.

If your window rubbers are bad and leaking duct tape them over to seal them until you are ready to replace them.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

No tarp, apply WAXOYL to the exposed surfaces, good for about 8 mo. Its a marine grade protectant . Cheap dryer sheets for the mice.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

...and a cat.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on storing bug body outside in wet climate Reply with quote

Shrink wrap like they do on boats.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: