Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

Sometimes you do a bonehead move and really regret it...

Soon as I finished building a roof rack this weekend I parked the van with the slow speed wiper relay ON due to light snow. Being early season I didn’t think to pull the wipers away from the windshield even though we were expecting snow. This, friends, is the boneheaded move.

Next morning I turned on the van and let it idle some time, both for the svx to warm up coil packs and thinking defrost would melt the wiper blades which were frozen to the windshield. I pulled away pleased to have a mostly defrosted and clear window but didn’t think to check the wiper relay position. Soon I noticed a burning smell but played it up to turning on the hot foot heater throw that AM, and drove on. A noise by the dash started, the burning smell got worse, and I pulled over freaking out about heater implosion.

Took a minute to realize that the issue was the wiper motor, located dash R, was burning up because the wiper relay switch had been left on since I started the van but wipers had been frozen to the windshield. Doh!

After freeing the wipers from the windshield I tried the wiper toggle - nothing. The noise is now gone and smell is likewise gone, but I’m pretty sure my boneheaded move destroyed the wiper motor and I can now plan on removing the dash and replacing the motor. DOH!

Feedback appreciated on my deduction - have I likely blown up the wiper motor? If so, am I likely looking to replace just the motor or is there something else in the wiper linkage that could’ve broken and should be preemptively ordered for the repair and replace project?

Experience and advice from those who’ve done the wiper motor R&R is much appreciated. I’ve never pulled the dash either, so here goes another right of passage. Doh!
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

I'm sure you've already checked your fuses as it should be a protected circuit. I've had fuses melt but never pop, and this could be your case as well.
Most likely it's the wiring on the way to the motor but you won't really know until you pull the dash and start tracing. I don't believe the wiper motor is completely accessible with the dash intact.

While the dash is out, replace those wiper lines, r&r the hvac foam, pop in a new heater core, yada yada yada. Lots of fun to be had!

If it is the wiper motor is kaput, I've got one out of that gray parts van with your name on it.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

Certainly more investigation is needed, but I think with some patience you can remove the wiper motor from the wiper assembly with the dash in place.
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
I'm sure you've already checked your fuses as it should be a protected circuit. I've had fuses melt but never pop, and this could be your case as well.
Most likely it's the wiring on the way to the motor but you won't really know until you pull the dash and start tracing. I don't believe the wiper motor is completely accessible with the dash intact.

While the dash is out, replace those wiper lines, r&r the hvac foam, pop in a new heater core, yada yada yada. Lots of fun to be had!

If it is the wiper motor is kaput, I've got one out of that gray parts van with your name on it.

Thanks dude - and yes, checked #11 wiper block in the fuse panel. Fuse is still good. Expect that pulling the dash will reveal the wiper motor plug or connection point has corrosion and caused high resistance and it melted there. Ideally this means that aside from the hassle of pulling the dash I'm looking at functionally only replacing the wiper motor, not other parts in the wiper linkage, because the linkage is cast metal and the "break points" in this scenario are purely within the motor and its plastic gearing/plastic electrical connection.

I'll shoot ya a text re: the spare motor - again, thank you!
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Certainly more investigation is needed, but I think with some patience you can remove the wiper motor from the wiper assembly with the dash in place.

You make me optimistic MarkWard! During lunch today I intend to pull glovebox and see what can be seen. The Bentley and other's videos/photos indicate the wiper motor is mounted directly above the glove box, and theoretically accessible, but of course whether my size 10 hands can meaningfully maneuver in that small space is another question.

Onward.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

These are some photos I took of my spare.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Both of these shots are from the front view of the car. In other words hidden from what you can see when the glove box is out.

These photos show what you could see if you whack the top off the dash.

And why I can.

Bottom line here. If you could get the nut and three bolts out from behind the motor which would be tough, I have no idea how you could ever get them back on. So that doesn't look good. However, note the motor points down, so maybe it's possible to take the guts out of the motor in situ and replace that? Also doubtful and what if it's not the rotor? But I would first take a hot lead from the positive of the battery and touch it to a needle driven through the green/black wire. If the motor jumps or makes any kind of noise, it may be OK and could be a bad wire. I don't try to find the fault with a bad wire. Just abandon the bad one and run a new one documenting it on the correct Bentley page. I noticed that Bentley 97.135 and 97.217 have the same circuit diagram so assume most years were unchanged. Look at the diagram and check to see which lead is supposed to get power depending on the switch position an see if there is power at the motor when there is supposed to be.

Although taking out the dash is a pain, especially the first time, uberaudi is correct. There are a ton of things behind the dash that need replacing after 30 years. Does your front heater blower motor work without complaining?
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

Give that glass a good treatment of Rain-X and the water slides right off. Will get you by until you fix the wipers.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

honestly, i'd pull the dash.

my first vanagon dash pull I had it out in 15-20 mins. it was stock and not festooned with gauges etc.

but...I do this for a living and have had dashes out of 100k cars for evaps/heater cores so...i'm not scared.

I really don't see how you could reasonably do this and time the wiper arms to land in the park position without wanting to put a bullet in your head.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

[/quote]Bottom line here. If you could get the nut and three bolts out from behind the motor which would be tough, I have no idea how you could ever get them back on. So that doesn't look good. However, note the motor points down, so maybe it's possible to take the guts out of the motor in situ and replace that? Also doubtful and what if it's not the rotor? But I would first take a hot lead from the positive of the battery and touch it to a needle driven through the green/black wire. If the motor jumps or makes any kind of noise, it may be OK and could be a bad wire. I don't try to find the fault with a bad wire. Just abandon the bad one and run a new one documenting it on the correct Bentley page. I noticed that Bentley 97.135 and 97.217 have the same circuit diagram so assume most years were unchanged. Look at the diagram and check to see which lead is supposed to get power depending on the switch position an see if there is power at the motor when there is supposed to be.

Although taking out the dash is a pain, especially the first time, uberaudi is correct. There are a ton of things behind the dash that need replacing after 30 years. Does your front heater blower motor work without complaining?[/quote]

Appreciate a look at the assembly: helpful. I agree that i need to remove the dash to truly work on the wiper array and access the motor. I tried to take a look via the OEM glovebox to no avail: my hands could access squat. I also agree the wiring looks straightforward; a friend is giving me a spare motor so i'm going full in and just replacing as i expect corrosion and resistance melted something plastic around the motor and it is kaput.

BTW - innovative dash modification. I like the woodworking.

Gnarlodious - Rainx is a good fallback for the meantime - cheers!

Euro- wish you lived in Bozeman so I could feed you beer to help with the dash removal. Anyhow, dash removal is officially on the calendar. My front heater doesn't have funky sounds and does pump out heat presently so not intending to buy new and replace. I will plan to replace washer fluid tubing and my HVAC lines while in there.

Onward!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I had it out in 15-20 mins.

BCgee wrote:
Euro- wish you lived in Bozeman so I could feed you beer to help with the dash removal.

I wonder what his beer/min consumption rate is?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

Look at page 92.2 in the manual. It looks like you can remove the entire assembly without removing the dash. I pulled a complete assembly from an 87 that was destined to the crusher. It's a little perplexing, but all of the fasteners were accessible.
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Burned Up My Windshield Wiper Motor - Pull Dash? Reply with quote

Follow Up:

A Good Samaritan fellow Vanagon owner locally shared a wiper motor he salvaged. I pulled the dash and managed to, with difficulty, R&R the wiper motor without removing the wiper array. Yes, that was some black magic! Wipers are working again; not a fun project but lord knows I’ll never again forget to pull wipers up when any precipitation is predicted overnight in Montana.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: