Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36HP Fan Shroud options..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesbissland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

Hey All,

So what oil should I be…. ha just kidding!

Possibly the next most debated subject tho…

In recent times, what is the go-to for aftermarket 36HP style dog house fan shrouds?

From what I can remember Scat was the way people were swaying years ago..

Are they still the superior? Good fit? Good cooling?

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamesbissland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

Are they significantly better than the EMPI shrouds available??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

If you get the new EMPI version with the internal vanes, then no. It’s a good shroud made of thick gauge metal

But Scat, CB Performance, ans new EMPI are comparable and all about the same price
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

The only one I use is made in Germany by a company called Volkswagen. Dan
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

Dan I would agree with you, unless he wants the 36hp shroud with a DogHouse.

If yes then he has no choice and Scat I agree is better, that is the shroud that the guys use for T-4 Upright Conversions. Good to cool up to 160 hp engines as far as I know, IF YOU USE it with the original T-1 flaps and a Thermostat.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

Vw makes a 36hp shroud, works very well with the right mods.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:

I agree

One late 40hp and one FI shroud make a nice combo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

I agree

What part of that is the 40 horse? Looks more like the love child of a late doghouse shroud and a 36. I've thought about trying that, but my time is short enough as is..
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

I agree

That is too much work.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

Some people say an original 36hp shroud is better. With an original 36hp shroud you must use earlier upright style cooler (non-doghouse)... which in my own humble opinion... has its own inherent cooling limitations. It can and will work tho.

The other option is to get an aftermarket "36hp" STYLE shroud and use the later style doghouse cooler. The newer ones they make seem to better than a few years ago. I think Scat and also Empi are decent now.

People have luck doing it both ways... decide what sounds good to you.

Or if you have tons of time and desire... make yourself a german "Frankenshroud"... as pictured above... Laughing

I am going to use an aftermarket 36hp style doghouse shroud... it fell into my lap and was included with some other used parts I bought. I generally prefer German tins but this unit looks to be good quality and is designed with some thought... the vanes inside look just an original doghouse shroud compared side to side.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

Well as I said the Scat worked for me and hundreds of my customers.
As for longevity, well the photo in my drive way was taken 31 years ago. ( actually 1989 not 1992 )

Just don't buy chrome it rusts, so I painted it Black and that is the same engine I use today. I think that answers your question.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

esde wrote:
What part of that is the 40 horse? Looks more like the love child of a late doghouse shroud and a 36. I've thought about trying that, but my time is short enough as is..

The early piece is 61-62 stale air 40hp, the back is 77-79 FI 1600. The reason I tried this is because all the aftermarket 36hp shrouds have the positive oil cooler scoop which pulls a bit more air from the 1/2 side of the engine. I wanted to test to see how much difference the peanut slot and velocity ring made it was but life does seem to get in the way.

You must know if using a Scat shroud they make the alternator plate mounts off set so you cannot use berg linkage with it. Not sure on the newer china shrouds if they copied the scat design or kept the VW pattern.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

Berg now sells a bar for their linkage to allow you to use it on a Scat shroud
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

The Empi 36HP doghouse shroud is a good one for the money. I use them quite often on everything from stock 1600s to 2387s. Their cylinder tins on the other hand are NOT
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

The reason Scat offset the mounting holes in their fan shrouds was so you could not use their competiters (Gene Berg) linkage and had to also buy Scat linkage..
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

my bug had a chrome scat shroud on it. after 10 year it was starting to rust a little, not much, you could barly see it, but I did keep it clean& protected also.I dont think the empi chrome wood hold up like that.I do have 3 empi shrouds in the boxes,one dogy style without vents,1 doggy style with vents, and one non doggy style without vents...one of those is all woinkey...like it was twisted all to hell when welded togeather...or possibly is a a jakes DTM empi version Shocked Wink I havent decided yet what I will use on my porch356 car, might go with a glass setup.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

Understood that...glad Berg countered

vwracerdave wrote:
txoval wrote:

The reason Scat offset the mounting holes in their fan shrouds was so you could not use their competiters (Gene Berg) linkage and had to also buy Scat linkage..
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
..one of those is all woinkey...like it was twisted all to hell when welded togeather...or possibly is a a jakes DTM empi version Shocked Wink

I just now got it 😂
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

I agree

I’d be interested in a separate build thread....
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Fan Shroud options.. Reply with quote

If I were to run a setup that needs better carb clearance, I would chop up a stock shroud and do what the Porsche Salsburg Austria team did-

Here are three pictures of an honest-to-goodness original, courtesy of James Cavlert at Stateside tuning-

Some great shots of how to do one of your own from Dave Hord's very detailed rally tribute build-

I think that the angled sides look much better than the round aftermarket stuff you see on the 36HP style shrouds. Function over form.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: