Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Two of four crank dowel pins loose
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

I'm starting reassembly of my engine today and cleaning/inspecting everything. I found that two of the four dowel pins on my stock crankshaft can be pulled out with finger force. The holes don't appear damaged or hammered out at all, and once inserted the dowels do not wobble at all. In fact the fit is so snug that I can feel air pressure fighting me as I slide the dowels in like a piston. Is this something I can fix by putting a small amount of loctite on the dowels after cleaning them and their holes well?
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

Put down the Locktite, walk away from the Locktite. The dowels are there for rotational stability between the flywheel and crank, Locktite won't do a damn thing. It sounds like you are OK, but then again, we are on the internet. How is the fit in the flywheel holes. If in doubt, have it drilled for 8 dowel. What size motor? Do you feel lucky?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Put down the Locktite, walk away from the Locktite. The dowels are there for rotational stability between the flywheel and crank, Locktite won't do a damn thing. It sounds like you are OK, but then again, we are on the internet. How is the fit in the flywheel holes. If in doubt, have it drilled for 8 dowel. What size motor? Do you feel lucky?

Fit at flywheel is also snug. I’m confident there is no lateral movement issue here. By loctite I was referring not to thread locker but to stud/bearing mount formula, designed for cylindrical non threaded applications. My goal would be to ensure vibration doesn’t cause the pins to slide out of the crank.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

Loose is subjective term but just being able to turn with fingers isn’t bad. Mangled with visible damage to pin and hole is bad. I’d clean it well and install gland nut to 300 ft lbs. no loctite required
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Loose is subjective term but just being able to turn with fingers isn’t bad. Mangled with visible damage to pin and hole is bad. I’d clean it well and install gland nut to 300 ft lbs. no loctite required

Thanks, I'll assemble as is then.

In only asked because the Tom Wilson rebuild book says to check the dowels "by wiggling each by hand to see if it's loose. Any movement is unacceptable." Mine don't move side to side at all, but this check was when I realized two of the four could be pulled out with some effort--which seemed to qualify as "movement".

I messed up enough things on rebuild #1 that I'm trying to be exceptionally careful this time around.

Thanks for the advice.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

You can take a center punch and space 3 punch marks around the dowels if in doubt.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

Two of my four dowels were loose enough to pull by hand, but the dowels were not damaged, and the holes were not wallowed. I was fine with that.

I tightened my gland nut to 253 ft. lbs. and all was well.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

do NOT take a punch to the back of the crank it will raise up metal around the punch marks, then the flywheel will sit on these little raised sections and not sit flat on the back of the crank...and will then come loose as torque and vibration eventually cause the little raised spots to flatten back out....dowel pins were a slip fit into the crank, not a press fit
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
do NOT take a punch to the back of the crank it will raise up metal around the punch marks, then the flywheel will sit on these little raised sections and not sit flat on the back of the crank...and will then come loose as torque and vibration eventually cause the little raised spots to flatten back out....dowel pins were a slip fit into the crank, not a press fit

Laughing Laughing Laughing If you think the tiny bit of raised metal from some lite punch marks will still be there after torqueing the flywheel to 254 +/_ 10 ft/lbs then you better stay away from building motors.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

wow you really are clueless
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

Follow what Tim and Zundfolge are recommending. Rolling Eyes
Smart & Safe answers.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:

Learn to read you MORON, I said "around the dowles" you are the one that said the crank. Your flywheels keep coming loose because you are torquing to 250 in/lbs the spec calls for ft/lbs. talk about clueless Embarassed
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

This makes for great entertainment, but i gotta ask, what are "dowles?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
This makes for great entertainment, but i gotta ask, what are "dowles?"

It's a Manor house in England near Church lane. Idea
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
volksworld wrote:

Learn to read you MORON, I said "around the dowles" you are the one that said the crank. Your flywheels keep coming loose because you are torquing to 250 in/lbs the spec calls for ft/lbs. talk about clueless Embarassed

To be fair

Starbucket wrote:

You can take a center punch and space 3 punch marks around the dowels if in doubt.

Don't punch the Krank

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk wrote:
Rather fitting signature line. I think you're going to gain some experience here.

Optimism will not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

This is pretty common.
IMO, put in dowel pins that are .001" larger.

Or, just ignore it.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

ahh...ok ... i get it now...had you said" remove the dowels from the crank, lay them on the bench and put 3 punch marks 120 degrees apart on their sides then tap them back into the crank" (still not a great idea) maybe i would have not misinterpreted your answer...as the original poster could very well have also misinterpreted it...i've personally seen cranks where idiots tried to stake loose dowel pins into the back of the crank by making punch marks AROUND the dowel pin in the back of the crank with terrible results....no one here is a mind reader but i guess i'm a moron because i couldnt understand your vaguely worded answer
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

You’ll soon learn that no good deed goes unpunished. The fact that you have years of experience means shit here.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

There is always more to learn. Wink
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Two of four crank dowel pins loose Reply with quote

I would reply to VW but he just doesn't get it that NO ONE made him class monitor Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: