Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator pump nozzle aim
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Accelerator pump nozzle aim Reply with quote

28 Pict 2.

Haven’t been able to find concrete info on this anywhere - is the accelerator pump meant to shoot straight down the throat, or aimed so the spray is dispersed by this flange (circled):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the image the spray is shown as coming out in an already dispersed pattern, whereas on mine it’s a single stream of fuel - hence why making it hit the flange so it spreads out seems to make sense in my head. Also - with it aiming straight down the throat the carb does seem to hesitate slightly when opening the throttle suddenly and closing it (with clutch in).
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pump nozzle aim Reply with quote

That doctored photo shows a pattern I've never seen. It's always been a jet on the 28 and 30 series carbs I've rebuilt. The advice I've seen is to aim the jet so it shoots past the opening edge of the throttle plate.

Last edited by KTPhil on Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pump nozzle aim Reply with quote

Weird image.

The nozzle makes a solid stream not a dispersed spray like that. It needs to shoot straight down into the intake, past the throttle plate.
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pump nozzle aim Reply with quote

Thanks. That photo is from the VW manual for the 28 Pict.

Edit I adjusted it so it hits that ledge slightly and no more hesitation!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pump nozzle aim Reply with quote

If the photo in post #1 was "doctored", it was VW that did it. Agreed that it is totally not how that jet behaves.

The below diagram shows the VW-recommended aiming of the accel jet. I'm not sure where it came from, I'm guessing it was
posted on one of the forums here on or a little before 25 Sep 2020. I have VW Workshop Manual that says the same, and
I've seen the same instructions in other VW service literature. The only place I've seen it recommended to aim the stream
past the throttle plate opening is by some posters in these forums.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pump nozzle aim Reply with quote

I checked three good manuals and have the following to report regarding the accelerator pump fitting:

The VW Owner Service Manual (Verlag Delius+ Klasing & Co):

It does show a misleading diagram that implies a spray or shower, instead of a jet:

But the text makes clear it is a jet, and that it should be aimed to avoid any part of the carburetor. It also says to tighten the pump cover screws with the throttle open.

Elfrink's VW Technical Manual:

This mentions the proper aim to avoid hitting the throttle plate:

Haynes VW Beetle Owners Workshop Manual:

This mentions both the aim, and also the need tighten the cover screws with the throttle opened:
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pump nozzle aim Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I checked three good manuals and have the following to report regarding the accelerator pump fitting:

The VW Owner Service Manual (Verlag Delius+ Klasing & Co):

It does show a misleading diagram that implies a spray or shower, instead of a jet:

But the text makes clear it is a jet, and that it should be aimed to avoid any part of the carburetor. It also says to tighten the pump cover screws with the throttle open.

Elfrink's VW Technical Manual:

This mentions the proper aim to avoid hitting the throttle plate:

Haynes VW Beetle Owners Workshop Manual:

This mentions both the aim, and also the need tighten the cover screws with the throttle opened:

Thank you for this detailed reply!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: