Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whole house water filter system
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Whole house water filter system Reply with quote

802 sounds like the place to live then!
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Whole house water filter system Reply with quote

I have a Pentek Big Blue type screw-on filter housing and paper filter set up for my well and pump. I change it a couple of times a year. It gets filled up with red clay deposits and the water pressure lowers, signaling the time to change.... I try and get it right before it gets to that point.

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Whole house water filter system Reply with quote

^ I think that’s what I’m going to do... just a decent filter on the incoming and then a really nice satellite filter for the kitchen sink.... almost bought one the other day, but I want to do a touch more research.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Whole house water filter system Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Late to the show but I just noticed this post (actually I've been distracted on other sites now that I got a OneWheel Smile ).
Yes, I installed a whole-house filter on the incoming 1" service line to the house when I repiped the whole place (yes, I repiped it myself, and copper is easy to sweat). I'm on municipal water.

It's one of the best things I could've done, I love it. I drink the tap water and it tastes good (or DOESN'T taste?). It doesn't stink either. It's the big canister that takes the filters that are about 5" in diameter and roughly 12" tall. The filters I use have a charcoal component, and when I go to replace the filter every 3 or 4 months, the white outer element wrap is discolored a disgusting greenish-brown.

But here are a couple of UN-scientific indicators that tell me it's doing an excellent job:
1) I'm still on the same chrome-plated brass shower head that I installed new when I repiped 13 years ago, with nothing more than a scant amount of calcium deposited around the outside perimeter, and the spray adjustment gizmo in it still works perfectly (while all the neighbors complain of crusted fixtures within a couple years), and
2) One way I determine if excess minerals are in the water is by adding about 1 cup of water to a sauce pot and boil it dry, down to nothing...and see what kind of crusty residue is left behind in the pot. In my case, nearly nothing, a very slight white haze that you can barely see, and wipes away with a fingertip.
Oh, one last piece of evidence, no crust in the coffee maker Think

I think it's better for ALL of the fixtures, and the water heater too, and pipes, etc. I've had zero problems or leaks from my faucets since then, either.
So there's my experience with it. Now where's my OneWheel?! Smile

Adding links for my components for future reference:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Culligan-Whole-House-Water-Filter-System-CULLIGAN-HD-950/205553036

https://www.amazon.com/Culligan-RFC-BBSA-Premium-Filter-Gallons/dp/B000BQN6MM
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Whole house water filter system Reply with quote

Reporting back... I still haven’t done the water test but I did put an AO Smith whole house water filter on my incoming water. The only water that doesn’t get filtered is the outdoor faucets.

I just slid the water softener over and spliced into its inlet supply. I’m using a carbon filter element and I could notice a difference within a few gallons ran through it. Now that a few showers have taken place and the hot water tank has been cycled through, I can notice a big difference in the water.

I may still get the small stage unit for the kitchen sink, but as of now I’m using the PUR attachment and the water seems really good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: