Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex and condensation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm currently using a Mr Heater Little Buddy to heat up the van when camping in the cold. It works great but produces a lot of condensation. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and installing a Propex heater and, based on my limited understanding of physics, assume that since it will vent the water vapor produced externally the condensation problem should not be as bad. Can any of you Propex users confirm this? It's a lot of $$$ to come up with just to test the hypothesis!
Thanks
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

Yes, the Propex will produce clean, dry, heat. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

I have a propex 2800.. and it's combustion is entirely sealed to the outdoors so all combustion gases (and liquids) stay outside.

now any interior moisture will remain inside.. boots/coats/dogs etc..
so with your new found heat you'll turn it up a bunch and open a window/vent to dry the interior.

you'll also want to install a larger or 2nd propane tank. else your going to get to know your local (and distant) propane sellers quite well.

I have the larger (30# 7gal) capacity tank and it suits my uses of the propex.
but in these days the Cheap Diesel heaters are the easiest and most economical form of forced air heat. I have a "all in one' unit that I bring only when I need it and duct it into the side sliding window.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

You are correct in your assumption. Combustion of propane creates CO2 and water (mostly). In the case of the little heater buddy, combustion happens inside the van.
The Propex heater directs the combustion gases outside. The exhaust gases go through a heat exhanger. Out goes the cold(er) exhaust along with the water! And in the cabin goes the good stuff, hot and dry air!
ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like a Propex is in my future once I figure out how to pay for it! Is it an easyish installation or should I get a professional to install it? The larger propane tank is also something I might consider.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

ockyfib wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like a Propex is in my future once I figure out how to pay for it! Is it an easyish installation or should I get a professional to install it? The larger propane tank is also something I might consider.

no one sells the large tank now. the install is mostly easy, you have to cut two holes in the floor to route the intake and exhaust. connecting the propane line is not trivial, esp if putting under the rear bench seat.

an HS2000 is on my list of things to get... since i went all electric on my fridge, i have an open gas line.

BiWerks Design, LLC
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

really I wouldn't bother with the propex for the $$$$ and I have one.
the current CDH puts out more comforts and easier to maintain for way less $$

here's the larger propane tank.
https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/23916/larger-capacity-lp-tank-w-level-indicator-?v=

Part #: VANO-EVC-LP-KIT
Works With: 1980-1991
Weight: 50.00 lbs
Manufacturer: GoWesty
Receive 5% GoBucks credit when you purchase this item online.

PRICE: $749.95

Quote:
We have figured out a relatively simple way to install the larger Eurovan propane tank onto a Vanagon, giving you greater freedom to explore and stay off the beaten path for even longer! We all know that running out of propane in the middle of nowhere can be serious business.

The pros:
- An almost 80% increase in capacity (from 3.3 to 5.9 gallons).
- Level indicator! Includes an externally-visable level indicator (we are working on a readout for inside your van, as well—stay tuned!).
- Options for attaching external camping fittings. You will be able to run external appliances off your on-board tank, or easily plumb in an external BBQ tank for extended stays. Please see related item below!

The con:
You'll lose about 3" of clearance... but it's not too big a price to pay for added carrying capacity, right?

Install note: Kit mounts to the same points as the stock Vanagon LP tank. Installation instructions and mounting hardware included.

Specs: Roughly 30" end to end, not including the mounting brackets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

I like my Propex 2211 which is mounted outside the van, thus the fan motor is outside, so it's a little quieter. And it doesn't waste precious indoor storage space.

WRT getting a bigger tank.....I would wait until AFTER you confirm that more capacity is necessary for the combination of your length of camping trips and proximity to refill stations. The tank can be a completely separate project (if actually necessary).

Here's my install thread: Propex 2211 heater install under floor (many pics!)

And another Samba 2211 thread: Greg's Propex HS2211 Install

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

I've installed a 2211 and am happy with it. Still too noisy to my state, but that's subjective.
The two above-mentioned threads are great references. I could not have done the job myself without these. Thanks again!
ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

"really I wouldn't bother with the propex for the $$$$ and I have one.
the current CDH puts out more comforts and easier to maintain for way less $$"

Sorry for my ignorance, what's a CDH?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

CDH = Chinese Diesel Heater. $120 for the heater, another $80 for an Afterburner controller. The two together are better (IMHO) than any five times more expensive offering from Espar, Propex or Webasto.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
CDH = Chinese Diesel Heater. $120 for the heater, another $80 for an Afterburner controller. The two together are better (IMHO) than any five times more expensive offering from Espar, Propex or Webasto.

Plus the cost of a separate diesel tank, if your van is gasoline. Wink
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

I am curious how many propex people run just the stock small westy propane tank. and how they manage with that. I certainly don't like the notion of refilling that each time and multiple times in my roadtrips. so I went the big propane tank.
not as necessary for the easy to source diesel as a fuel. it's at every gas stop w/o any additional hokie-pokie
the added costs of an additional diesel tank is up to the imagination and ability.
it can be quite easy and cheap or complicated and costly.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I am curious how many propex people run just the stock small westy propane tank. and how they manage with that.

We refill the propane tank every 3 days, 2 if it's really cold.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

2-3days of run time seems inconvenient for most of my travels.
it's good for new prospective propex buyers to be aware of usage and adjust expectations accordingly.
it would seem awfully inconvenient to run out of propane and lose not only my heat. But also my stove and my fridge.

that being said I/we still have filled propane while on a roadtrip,, once in Grand Teton NP. once just outside Algonquin Provincial park (station was nearly closed too).

that's how I justified the larger capacity tank even with losing ground clearance, which wasn't an issue for me.

and also why I'm considering adding a CDH in conjunction with my propex in our primary roadtrip van. though we do already carry a small electric heater in cold travel areas/months. but don't look for electric sites.. so it's limited in help.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
fxr wrote:

Plus the cost of a separate diesel tank, if your van is gasoline. Wink

The CDH comes with a tank.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

CDH can be had most any day for ~$100shipped.
I've got them as low as $80.. but that's a flash sale.. (yesterday's flash sale bombed)

and it doesn't require an $80 afterburner.. it works just fine w/o one. even at altitude with setting adjustments.
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

Like a lot of people I chose a China heater. Put it under the bench seat and pump/filter under the van. The tank they supplied was too big to install anywhere so I chose a 5 litre plastic fuel jug. Drilled a hole in the cap for the hose. Tight fit pulled it through with pliers. Then a very small hole in the vent cap. So there’s no fuel smell at all and 5 litres last for a week trip easy.
I first tested it with diesel then switched to kerosene as it’s a clean burning better for the heater. Thermostat mounted up by closet door. Zero condensation and the unit works real good. It came with a remote control so I can start the heater from inside my house and get into a warm van if I want. I removed the useless speakers and the heat comes though one of the grills. I’ll put some box speakers somewhere.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

We have two of the standard tanks PLUS a connection for a large stationary tank and/or the disposable bottles. It is only over kill until you need it.
Things to like about a CDH; cheap, readily available cheap fuel, I prefer kerosene or JP turbine fuel, and variable heat output.
Things not to like; annual tear down for cleaning, does not shut off if desired temp exceeded, requirement for a diesel tank which IMHO must be external. If you leak even a small amount of diesel inside the odor never goes away. And they are NOISEY!!! think small jet engine noisey.
Propex things to like; reliable, relatively quiet, odor free, low to no maintenance,
Propex things not to like; higher priced, requires more tank capacity, cost more to operate per unit of heat, either on or off heat output except for the new
(Propex) Whale HeatAir 4G is.gd/vfRHYu the specs are impressive from 1.4 to 4.1 variable output and variable fan speed.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Propex and condensation Reply with quote

drip wrote:

I first tested it with diesel then switched to kerosene as it’s a clean burning better for the heater.

you have kerosene in a container that vents into a closed space INSIDE your Vanagon? that is unbelievably stupid.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: