Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmengr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

So Im at my wits end with a EJ25 (2006 forester) conversion Im working on. I have rebuilt the harness multiple times, checked every pin on the harness and replaced the ECM, to no end. Im now thinking its not the harness or the ECM. the problem is Im getting this p0607 error which is a power to ECM/ ECM function issue. Went through the diagnostic process and every thing checks power and ground to the ECM are good. Replaced the Main relay for good measure. Still get the code and then the engine sputters and dies. Dont have the cruise control connected but someone suggested that this will have an effect on the performance of the ecm. Not sure why this would matter but im ready to try anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

We should start with easy and work forward.
Do you have ground straps on both cylinder heads? They are important.
Have you removed and cleaned the transmission ground strap?
When you did the harness did you retain the ground wire grouping? They are done in a particular pattern for very good reasons.

Do you have access to a recording multimeter? If so connect the positive to a power feed at the ECU and the ground to a chassis ground, not the engine. Record until the fault reappears. What was the lowest reading. Test each circuit separately recording results.
Do the same for each ground circuit by connecting the positive to the alternator D+30. Again record the results.
If you have done everything correctly you will have found the fault.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

Call/Mail Jeff at Autoventures. He will know.
rmengr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
We should start with easy and work forward.
Do you have ground straps on both cylinder heads? They are important.
Have you removed and cleaned the transmission ground strap?
When you did the harness did you retain the ground wire grouping? They are done in a particular pattern for very good reasons.

Yes to ground straps... Not sure what you mean about Ground wire groupings.
On this year and model of Subaru ground on ECM comes from 5 pins on the ECM connectors- D1,D2,D3,D7 and A5. all ring strong when checked with continuity tester between chassis and pin. each goes to a ground lug on the engine.

As far as a multi meter I don't have a recording one but will get one to test the power now that you suggested it.

Thanks
Bob
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

https://www.carobdcodes.com/subaru-p0607-control-module-performance.shtml
Was the engine running before the swap? Could be bad ECU. You can look for a matching used one on EBay.
rmengr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
Call/Mail Jeff at Autoventures. He will know.

I did inquire about them rebuilding the harness because I thought it may be the harness that was the prob. But Im not sure if it is the harness and I'm not there yet... still want to try and figure this out.
rmengr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
https://www.carobdcodes.com/subaru-p0607-control-module-performance.shtml
Was the engine running before the swap? Could be bad ECU. You can look for a matching used one on EBay.

Yes ran in old car and even ran in the Vanagon for a couple of weeks until I revised the harness a bit. That's why I thought it was something in the harness. but I have gone through the harness with a fine tooth comb and I already replaced the ECM with one from EBAY. same error with both ECMs.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

Talk to Jeff anyway. He may be able to point you in the right direction.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

There are a couple of facebook groups that deal specifically with the wireing for Subaru conversions into vw. For sure you'll get help there.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion troubles Reply with quote

I should have re-read your post. I think it has to be related to what changes you made to the harness or is there a pin damaged or loose at the ECU? Were you cutting and splicing some wires with the harness rebuild? Exactly what changes did you make?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: