Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chadabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: 72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy) Reply with quote

First off..Not a loooong time member by any means, I officially joined about 2yrs ago?? Right when I purchased my 72 Super for the wife. I purchased it from the 2nd owner, who had only owned it for several months. The OG owner had a "semi" restore done, but you could def tell, it was on a VERY minimal budget. BUT...the car was basically 95% rust free, and had AC, plus ran/drove perfect, so that is what prompted me to invest. After a year, we decided the paint needed to be redone, and that meant stripping the 2 layers of paint to the bare metal, choose an original 49 VW color, Mignionette green as the base. Purchased some Creative Custom 3" rear, and 2" front fenders, Some custom made 16x8 rear, and 16x7 smoothies, had a company in Vietnam build these 100% polished stainless bumpers widened and properly arched to fit the new wider footprint. I opted for re-doing all the interior with the intent of having it authenticate the vintage line of VW's. removed the dash pad, filled and painted to match, all matching knobs and display. Every bulb in the car, front to rear has been converted to LED, and works flawlessly. I'm NOT a gloater by any means, I did want to post this, for the sole purpose as to thank each and every person who has posted on here to answer any question I had. This site has helped me more than anything out there and I am truly in debt. Considering this is the 1st ever VW I have owned, much less driven. It was the best/worst challenge I have done in years. I am going to include link to my Google pics file to see if it is available to show everything I have done, and I have kept REDICULOUS detailed pics and documents. So for now, we are cruising, and enjoying. The wife works from home, so this is her "daily" driver that only gets used on weekends..lol
Enjoy Wink
Google pics link https://photos.app.goo.gl/JUzrA6Scvdw5vuX17
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy) Reply with quote

Now that’s a beauty!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy) Reply with quote

Congratulations! It looks amazing. I love the color.
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy) Reply with quote

I think you've built a beautiful car. Obviously you have the skills to deliver such a stunning result.
The only thing I don't like is the aftermarket air cleaner.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy) Reply with quote

Absolutely amazing. This is the best vintage look Super Beetle build I have ever seen. You really pulled it off. Everything works (visually). Outstanding. What a lovely combination of muscle and grace.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Chadabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy) Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
I think you've built a beautiful car. Obviously you have the skills to deliver such a stunning result.
The only thing I don't like is the aftermarket air cleaner.

Honestly...All my focus was on the car exterior and interior. The motor is exactly the way I bought it. Only thing I did was service it, electronic ignition distributor and new coil, adjust valves, and changed front and rear transmission mounts. Money was the biggest factor, and time. My next phase on the car is building a bigger CC engine with FI and more torque and adding a 5speed. Im not into turbo, supercharging or anything extravagant, but want the most dependable motor I can possibly put in, to do some long range traveling.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy) Reply with quote

Looks like a very high quality build-and done the way you wanted in terms of style. I like the base green color-congrats on being able to enjoy the results of your hard work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy) Reply with quote

I think you shut down the early bumper haters on late model bugs Very Happy Nice work
Chadabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super "the way it should have been" to me resto(pic heavy) Reply with quote

jitbba wrote:
I think you shut down the early bumper haters on late model bugs Very Happy Nice work

Lol...honestly, that thought was in my head the whole time. Done right, they can look as though they belong. If they can't see the beauty in those bumpers belonging, they need to jump on the Prius train and just econo ride😂
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: