Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Westfalia restoration project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the blob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Hi all,

Greetings from central VA! My brother and I just bought a 1978 Westfalia Type 2 to restore. I wasn't looking for one, but it caught my eye on Craigslist as I was looking for firewood. This bus found me, as they say. My brother and I don't have any experience working on aircooled VWs, so this is going to be an adventure for sure!

The bus has been parked since the mid 90s and the PO got it from some guy who had a bunch of old cars just sitting around on his property. No keys or batteries and a couple parts are missing in the engine (starter and distributor cap/plug wires from what I can tell so far, but there could be more since I don't know what I'm looking at Very Happy ). We can't even find where stuff is supposed to be to see if it's missing yet. From what we can tell the engine still turns and the bus rolls and steers, so that's a start.

Relatively little rust on the exterior and almost no rust on the bottom/rockers. Small rust hole in the front door corners and rear right panel, but other than that it seems to be mostly surface rust from what I can tell. Original Dakota Beige paint is mostly intact and interior and seats are all original and in mostly decent shape. Only thing missing is the radio, speakers, and table. Pop top still works but will need a replacement canvas.

I've already bought The Idiot's Guide and Mark Paxton's "How to Restore Volkswagen Bus, Enthusiast's Restoration Manual" and also have replacement keys on the way (cut from sliding door lock code - hopefully that's all I'll need) from Baughman Locksmith (https://www.baughmanlock.com/).

I've been scouring TheSamba reading all I can the last few weeks, but am still really new to this so appreciate any beginner's tips, videos, or threads I can learn from! I'll only post a subset of the pics here but you can check my Samba gallery for more.

Step 1 is figuring out how the engine works and what parts I'm missing so I can see if it'll turn over. Then it'll be on to stopping the rust while we get it back in working condition before we decide how intense we want to get with the body restoration.

Wish us luck!

Bus in my driveway:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bus with the firewood I was looking for on craigslist:

Rear shot:

Front shot:

Engine rear and top:

Popped top:

Interior:

Last edited by the blob on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Relatively little rust on the exterior and almost no rust on the bottom/rockers

Shocked
the blob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Also forgot the engine code (looks original to the bus):
GE032166

And M Codes (factory pick up in Germany!):
82 128 586
982646 D52 P27 073
20 2 7481 UT 2319 61
the blob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

scubasteve321 wrote:
Relatively little rust on the exterior and almost no rust on the bottom/rockers

Shocked

Well maybe that's a bit generous, but relatively little compared to what I would have expected for a bus that had been sitting for 25 years Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Wooooo...!, European spare mount on the front, I want to see the M plate! (click links below).

Tcash wrote:
M-Plate locations
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder
VOLKSWAGEN TYPE 2 M-PLATES UNCODING

Good Luck
Tcash

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Now that is something you don't see everyday here. The euro spare tire mount.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wooooo...!, European spare mount on the front, I want to see the M plate! (click links below).

Tcash wrote:
M-Plate locations
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder
VOLKSWAGEN TYPE 2 M-PLATES UNCODING

Good Luck
Tcash
. Once I saw the Tire Mount, I was half expecting Helsinki model interior pictures being posted versus the normal interior.... Smile
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Congrats on the new ride. You will need fuel injection appropriate vacuum hoses too. See:
https://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

You also need some FI parts. S boot, AFM, air cleaner/filter, and it looks as if someone took out the FI computer (it would be in the vertical rectangle hole above the battery ground strap)
Fun project!
the blob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Thanks all for the comments and advice. That fuel line diagram will be really helpful.

my59 wrote:
You also need some FI parts. S boot, AFM, air cleaner/filter, and it looks as if someone took out the FI computer (it would be in the vertical rectangle hole above the battery ground strap)
Fun project!

Thanks! I think I may have at least some of those here:
I think this is the air cleaner/filter housing and the AFM:

I googled it and this looks like the "S Boot":

And there's also this big plug thing in the engine. Assuming it goes to the FI computer?

Is the FI computer the same thing as the ECU? If so, the prices I'm finding online explain why a PO might have parted it out...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

the blob wrote:
Is the FI computer the same thing as the ECU? If so, the prices I'm finding online explain why a PO might have parted it out...

Yes, I don't know where you have been shopping, they look very reasonably priced for 40+ year old parts here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
They almost never fail (yet they are the first thing uneducated mechanics blame), as long as it doesn't look like it's been in a fire or under water it'll very likely work fine.

Scroll down here to find the numbers that are compatible: https://ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
the blob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Oh great! Thanks, busdaddy. I was looking at busdepot. I'll remember to check the classifieds next time.

Thought I'd post pics of the different booklets that came with the bus, too.

Manual:

Other booklets. All are in good shape except for the owners manual insert for tourist vehicles in Europe:

The warranty and maintenance booklet has stamps for the factory service up until the 30,000 mile maintenance, then it stops. Based on the odometer and title records it looks like this has engine has 146k miles on it:

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

my advice would be to title / register it as non-op in VA and make sure you can get a valid ownership before investing anything in it. Then get with someone like Robbie AirSchooled, or Colin The Ice Cream Bandit to have them go over it and make you a list of what needs to be done. Better set a budget too - I allowed $15K in 2010 and it turned into double that. That is a common issue, especially if you want cosmetic repairs. A pristine Westfalia restored to factory quality is about $60K worth of work.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Awesome project and documentations! It looks like mostly surface rust, and not heavy frame rust. The interior should clean up nice! That will be fun once its done!
Good luck, Aiden
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

shine a light down in the spot where the ECU goes on the right side of the engine to see if they dropped it in there. If you see eyes looking back then you have another issue to add to the list. Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

I'll bet it got sick from a big vacuum leak and was taken to a shop, the "expurt" there said "it's the compooter" and pulled it out to send off for repair or replacement and it got lost somehow, after sitting at the shop a few months it came home to sit forevermore.

Still want to see that M plate. Wink

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'll bet it got sick from a big vacuum leak and was taken to a shop, the "expurt" there said "it's the compooter" and pulled it out to send off for repair or replacement and it got lost somehow, after sitting at the shop a few months it came home to sit forevermore.

Still want to see that M plate. Wink

I'd be willing to put money on that analysis.

Chris Morrice in Oakland, Ken Madsen @ TheBusco, Avery's Air Cooled, or Chris at BustedBus might have one that is reasonable. The shops that work on them last time I checked told me they simply look over the board and re-solder any suspecting bad solder joints. There is no machine or anything that tests the boxes better than a bus does. They don't go bad often unless someone hooks a battery up backwards.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Here it is http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=45830 it was already showing someone else had put it in when I did it.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Interesting, so the spare was added afterwards, maybe they stopped by the Westfalia shop while they were in Germany?

Слава Україні!
the blob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia restoration project Reply with quote

Thanks Aiden and SGKent.

I'm definitely expecting to invest a fair amount, but I'm not planning to get it quite back to factory original shape so hope I won't have to put quite 60k into it. Hoping to put 10-15k more doing most/all of the labor ourselves (with the exception of painting (if we do paint at all this budget would only include touch ups) and maybe some of the welding on the tricky panels). For now I'd to make a weekender that can reliably make it 2-3 hours at a time in the spring and fall (or in the summer mornings). Don't think it'll be taking any cross country trips in the foreseeable future. If I fall in love with it on the way maybe I'll make some fancier upgrades, but I'm not committing to that yet.

The soonest I could get an appointment at the DMV was mid-January, so won't know for sure on registration until then. In the meantime I'll probably focus more on the labor heavy but not price heavy parts like stopping the rust and cleaning the interior.

I'll take a look in the computer hole tomorrow and let you know if I find any critters down there.

I checked the M-Codes on that site after buying it, but I couldn't tell much about it besides that the paint and interior fabric were original since I didn't really know what to look for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: