Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first breakdown!!! White steam coming out the left side vent.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My first breakdown!!! White steam coming out the left side vent. Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Hopefully it went to someone who will read the owner's manual, measure the ATF fluid level correctly, and pull over when the engine is catastrophically overheating. Razz

that's fuckin cold Laughing

but true Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My first breakdown!!! White steam coming out the left side vent. Reply with quote

Shucks, I was aiming for humorous teasing in a good natured manner. I mean, I added the 'Razz' emoticon. Maybe I missed the mark.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My first breakdown!!! White steam coming out the left side vent. Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Maybe I missed the mark.

internet is a dangerous place. welcome to my world. a solid 80%+ of what i say gets horribly misconstrued

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: My first breakdown!!! White steam coming out the left side vent. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:
Maybe I missed the mark.

internet is a dangerous place. welcome to my world. a solid 80%+ of what i say gets horribly misconstrued

..and the other 20% is kale recipes.

Off to do the T5 water pump pipe this morning, my favorite.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: My first breakdown!!! White steam coming out the left side vent. Reply with quote

Go Easy guys!

He was completely green to mechanics and the "needs" of older vehicles and the seriousness of warning lights.

Those raised on OBDII were actually taught to ignore warning lights. In particular, tape over the ever illuminated "check engine" light.

He learned a lot and came to recognize that this isn't the vehicle for him. He was man enough to see his limitation and bailed ..... at a financial loss.

I give him huge kudos for what he learned and accomplished after the initial event happened.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: My first breakdown!!! White steam coming out the left side vent. Reply with quote

Reading and heeding the Owner's Manual is the simple solution for new owners who are not used to the nuances of older vehicles. The Vanagon Owner's Manual is an easy read in 1/2 of an hour and doing so can save an owner thousands of dollars (and also clue them into some cool unusual features).

FWIW, ignoring the check engine light in new vehicles is also a bad idea.
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My first breakdown!!! White steam coming out the left side vent. Reply with quote

I work on a huge variety of diesel powered equipment in my day job. djkeev, what you say rings true for operators of those even! They will happily ignore many warning lights until they've finally been derated to uselessness.

That being said, there are so many warning lights on a big diesel these days (check engine, stop engine, engine picture light, not to mention all the aftertreatment lights) I'm not surprised they conveniently ignore them.

Oh well, work for me I guess!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: