Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

On so many sites and groups, I'm seeing a lot of posts about folks putting their cars away for the season. Of course, "the season" is subjective, as in FL, the car driving/enjoyment season is just getting under way as the cooler weather is soon approaching - like the cool front that passed today.

Made me wonder who's putting away and who's getting out? And who NEVER puts it away!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

We put our 73 Thing, and, Mercedes 240D away for the winter at a friends storage building surrounded by Ferarris, and other exotic cars. Then a few days after Christmas, we put away the wifes Lexus RX350 in our garage, and take my Honda Accord down south to LA, lower Alabama, and wait on spring to come back home. A pleasant ritual, that enables our cars to remain rust free for many years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

I put the toys away when they salt the roads here in Ohio. Depending on the winter I've had them out as late as mid-December.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

Here in the Inland Empire in SoCal the summers are quite hot. 110* is not uncommon. Kinda takes the fun out of driving a car without AC. So I'm with the OP. Fall is the start of the "in" season for me. I use my car more as a DD this time of year as well.

But to be fair, I never really put my car "away" in the summer either. Just mainly use it for evening crusin or shorter errand running.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

I never put my vehicles "away". I still drive them during the winter, however I do modify my driving parameters somewhat. I only take them out when the roads are dry, and when the county decides to waste their mountains of salt by spraying the roads for no reason (we haven't had a true snowfall here in several years) I will wait until we have a very good and heavy rainfall to wash the roads clean. I will also pay extra attention to keeping the cars clean and washed, and hosing down the undersides more thoroughly than usual. Other than that, no changes for me. Blue Bug VW Logo

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

I drive my two Bugs year round. Daily drivers. They're ugly but in excellent mechanical condition. I've got one set up mainly for summer and the other mainly for winter. I can drive both at any time but each has been optimally prepared for their respective seasons.

It pisses the old lady off that I keep two old cars on the road insured. I've explained to her that with my help and by today's standards my two Bugs together gives me an affordable and dependable driving system.

They give me something productive to do that has a real benefit and that I truly enjoy. The whole family for years has been trying to get me to give up my 'instant death' Bugs and drive a 'normal' car. Fat chance.

Like Charlton Heston, I'll give up my Bugs when they pry my cold dead hand from the gearshift knob.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

One of the beauties of getting old is that insurance collapses to about $200 a year for an extra car, so I keep lots of old stuff on the books for those warm dry winter days when the salt has been washed away.

December through March is usually bad on our cars though.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

Definitely the summer stuff gets put away for winter.

The little British cars and the Bus get put away.

I do have a hardtop for the MG and I just had the Bus out camping a few weeks ago, so I definitely try to extend the New England driving season.

And who really wants a campfire on an 80 degree August night anyway? Camping in October is much better.

Winter here is for 4WD. Jeeps for us.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

I put my summer bike away
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And take out my winter bike

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
On so many sites and groups, I'm seeing a lot of posts about folks putting their cars away for the season. Of course, "the season" is subjective, as in FL, the car driving/enjoyment season is just getting under way as the cooler weather is soon approaching - like the cool front that passed today.

Made me wonder who's putting away and who's getting out? And who NEVER puts it away!

Mine run/are driven year round; Arizona. Here fall is best weather, gets down to the 90s.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I drive my two Bugs year round. Daily drivers. They're ugly but in excellent mechanical condition. I've got one set up mainly for summer and the other mainly for winter. I can drive both at any time but each has been optimally prepared for their respective seasons.

It pisses the old lady off that I keep two old cars on the road insured. I've explained to her that with my help and by today's standards my two Bugs together gives me an affordable and dependable driving system.

They give me something productive to do that has a real benefit and that I truly enjoy. The whole family for years has been trying to get me to give up my 'instant death' Bugs and drive a 'normal' car. Fat chance.

Like Charlton Heston, I'll give up my Bugs when they pry my cold dead hand from the gearshift knob.

I’m driving all year but with restrictions for ice storms. The last few years have been warmer than usual, nobody knows why. Driving the bug is a diversion now I’m a weekend driver now, no shame in that game. 😀 blue skies as I’m looking out, good day for a drive.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

The air cooled get put away when salt hits the road. The 77 300d benz is the winter car...
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

"...blue skies as I’m looking out, good day for a drive."

Always a good day for a drive, Zundfolge1432.

I find myself traveling less and less as I get older, less reasons to travel. But I get out everyday and make my rounds. There's only so much Jerry and Maury I can stand before I puke. My Bugs are my freedom machines (at least until they take away my keys).

But if they do, I've got my bicycle, which incidentally, I break down and put in the back of my Bug and head to the trails.

Winter is tough on all cars but if you cover every square inch of the undersides of your Bug with some form of petroleum product, it'll easily survive. You may have to touch things up occasionally depending on the winter but a cheap pump sprayer from Harbor Freight should make that easy.

Hang in there and enjoy what's left of the Fall colors.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

First year with a license, will be first winter driving. I will drive my turd Squareback Laughing as long as there isn’t salt on the roads and it isn’t sub zero. The heater works good below freezing. There are so many rust holes after only 36,000 miles from Michigan winters, I don’t want to watch it get worse... unless there is some miracle rust proofing cure all that prevents any and all rust on our non-galvanized cars Rolling Eyes I will probably drive it once every two weeks even with salt to not let crap start clogging stuff
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

having a detached garage built here. looking to get some more time on the road before they get put away for good til road salt is gone. I also use them until the 1st salt though i have not used the bus much this year as that is kept in the storage unit and due to covid i have been twice as busy as normal at work and dont get to the storage unit as much as in the past.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I put my summer bike away

Glenn, remind me what your summer bike is...

Emonda SLR 7 maybe?
I can see it has had a few things upgraded too Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

I can’t wait for the slush as I rebuilt a turbo S70 AWD this fall and it’s itching to take on some winter weather. I love Swedish metal, I roll.

I’m not even sore about the 12 hours to drop the carrier and fuel tank to replace $10 of fuel line
Rag00oll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

If I was in Western PA I'd be lucky to have a few weeks left.

However in Oklahoma City it's a different story. We got an ice storm a few days ago but other than highways there was no salt. So I just didn't go on the highway. Can drive year round here. It's definitely nicer in the fall through spring... not as hot.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

obus wrote:
having a detached garage built here. looking to get some more time on the road before they get put away for good til road salt is gone. I also use them until the 1st salt though i have not used the bus much this year as that is kept in the storage unit and due to covid i have been twice as busy as normal at work and dont get to the storage unit as much as in the past.

With that nice big garage, you can still play with your toys throughout the winter! Very Happy Given all that height, you gonna get a lift?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tis the Season! Who's putting away, who's getting out? Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
First year with a license, will be first winter driving. I will drive my turd Squareback Laughing as long as there isn’t salt on the roads and it isn’t sub zero. The heater works good below freezing. There are so many rust holes after only 36,000 miles from Michigan winters, I don’t want to watch it get worse... unless there is some miracle rust proofing cure all that prevents any and all rust on our non-galvanized cars Rolling Eyes I will probably drive it once every two weeks even with salt to not let crap start clogging stuff

Winter driving in a nutshell.

When it gets nasty... ignore the flow. They are all driving too fast because they think they have four wheel undrive.

Halve your speed, double your following distance.

Snow tires on all four. No all -seasons. If you can only afford two, they go on the back, not the front.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: