Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New fuel tank. Treat it or not?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

Brand new 72 tank, sender, sock and pads. Engine bay is ready for me to mount it.

I cleaned the innards vigorously with Marine Clean 100%. Then rinsed and dried it.

What, if anything, should i seal the inside with?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

even after doing things to the 9's years ago and following the directions to a T....I will never seal another tank as long as I live.

some people swear by tank sealants...I got bit by them so never again. if this were put to a vote, I would bet there would be a 50/50 split.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

Why put sealant in if the tank is not rusty? If it is, use the POR system.

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

I have seen a hundred people use a sealer and be happy then a year later 5 of them it fails and is a nightmare. Are you willing to be in that 5% who gets bit? I did not seal mine.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

Any kind of paint, product or sealant can fail for whatever reason. If it’s on the body work you can sand it down and start again but not on a tank. POR products seem to always peel eventually on enclosed surfaces that are even a little bit smooth even with the best prep.

For a fuel tank, I would let the filter handle any left over crud (and new crud) coming from the gas tank. Peeling sealant...the tank is done when that stuff starts to let go.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

Another vote for no sealant, unless the tank is peppered with pinholes it's not worth the risk IMO.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

Id run it as is and keep gas in it and full when not in use.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

Have had classic cars, VW’s, a Porsche 356 and a 67 muscle car for more than 40 yrs, drive them all in the summer and living in Northern WI, store them in the winter months as soon as the salted roads appear. All have steel gas tanks ,not the plastic tanks of modern cars. None have coated tanks.
Always, always store with full gas tanks, treated with Sea Foam or Stabill, run motor to get stuff through the fuel system.
Never had a rust problem and cut fuel filters apart when changing, no rust!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

Thanks. I guess that is one less thing to worry about.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

With a lot of experience in the antique/vintage motorcycle world I agree with the idea of not using one if possible. If your tank is clean and solid just take care of it and keep it clean.

If you HAVE to, run POR or Redkote, my preference being the latter.
Strega51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

I just purchased a 65 bug. Prev owner took the tank out because it had gas sitting in it from 6-8 yrs. The tank doesn't leak. It doesn't look that bad inside. I was going to seal coat it but now I'm thinking of just using it and buy some xtra fuel filters especially after some of the comments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel tank. Treat it or not? Reply with quote

Strega51 wrote:
I just purchased a 65 bug. Prev owner took the tank out because it had gas sitting in it from 6-8 yrs. The tank doesn't leak. It doesn't look that bad inside. I was going to seal coat it but now I'm thinking of just using it and buy some xtra fuel filters especially after some of the comments.

Avoid the seal, cleaning tips here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378770

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: