Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper Distributor lubrication
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Early 70's Bosch Aluminum Distributor Exploded Diagram (translated from German):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Early 70's Bosch Aluminum Distributor Removal/Installation Instructions (translated from German):

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

This is later Volvo lubrication chart. Basicly Ft1v4 on the points block (and cam), oil on felt under rotor and Ft1v26 on everything else. Or Volvo "distributor grease" 116 1136-7 on everything. Due to the different coupling I don't think they intended it to be taken apart more than the expload view shows for lubrication and nothing is shown for lubrication of the lower shaft.

Ft1v4 is in modern Bosch part # 5700002005 (or ..025)
Ft1v26 is in modern Bosch part # 5700005005 (or ..025)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:

Quote:
1) The upper (in the house) fibre and steel washers is lubricated with both oil and grease, the lower just oil (but there can be nothing wrong with both). The lower will get in contact with the engine oil in use.

So grease on all shims/washers on reassembly and then oil at maintenance time?

Quote:
3) If you look at the Bosch lubrication scheme you use both grease and oil on the shafts at a distributor service.

It seems to be grease on the upper shaft and oil on the lower shaft.

Quote:
Bosch news letter say that although this after lubrication is important, the service lubrication (as in schart) is probably more important for maintainance.

Thanks for confirming this.

1) The "maintenance" or "after lubrication" as bosch calls it, for the lower shaft, bushings and shims/washers was on a distributor without oil or grease cup on the house (as a vw distributor) depentent only on the engine oil comming up from the engine through the shaft. I think this is also why the upper shims and fibre washer was ment to be greased as well during service lubrication/ assembly, as engine oi not should come this far.

3) The early bosch and volvo scheme states both oil and grease on upper (Ft1v8 and Ol1v2) and lower shafts (Ft1v22/Ft1v26 and Ol1v13).

The only maintenace/ after lubrication added actively as maintenancy was the oil on the felt under the rotor (for upper shaft and advance lubrication) on distributors with mechanical advance. The full service included a tear down to perform the lubrication as the scheme. This is why bosch thougt this was important part of maitainance. Car manufacturers might have had a different view on a car that mayby had a 10 year expected lifetime/ should be cheep to service. Later on a new replacement distributor probably was more cost effective/ faster.

Last edited by Frederik on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
Later on a new replacement distributor probably was more cost effective/ faster.

Definitely a preferred choice given the time/space the vehicle would be taking up at the dealership or speed shop.

This sadly led to multiple Brazil made 009's being installed in so many VWs over the years as it was the cost (in)effective alternative. It's a pity that the Aircooled.net's SVDA or the Mexican SVDA is NLA.

Thankfully, this community has the resources to rebuild the German factory made distributors and keep them alive through the sharing of knowledge and the rebuilding services that are available (thanks Guys!).

Thanks to everyone for everything that has been posted here.

PS. I've still got the 205P from my pickup with only 36,000 km on it and was garaged its whole life. I plan to take it apart and see what I can learn about how it was lubricated comparing it to the NOS Mexican 034 I have on hand.

Of all the distributors I have on hand, it has the smoothest rotating shaft but I'm skeptical of aging greases until I disassemble it.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

From 2007/2008 Bosch Accessories Catalog:

Frederik wrote:
Ft1v4 is in modern Bosch part # 5700002005 (or ..025)

Heißlagerfett
Farbe: naturfarben dunkel
Therm. Einsatzbereich: –10...+90°C. Eigenschaften: Wärmebeständig, sehr gut haft- fähig. Nicht geeignet für Schmierstellen mit Wasserberührung und Wälzlager.
Anwendung: Zündnocken und Gleitstück an Zündkontakten.

Hot "bearing" grease
Color: natural dark
Therm. Application range: –10 ... + 90 ° C. Properties: Heat-resistant, very good adhesion. Not suitable for lubrication points that come into contact with water and roller bearings.
Application: ignition cams and sliders on ignition contacts.

Quote:
Ft1v26 is in modern Bosch part # 5700005005 (or ..025)

Wälzlagerfett
Farbe: blau
Therm. Einsatzbereich: –20...+120°C. Eigenschaften: wasserbeständig, korrosions- schützend.
Anwendung: Gleichstromgeneratoren, Elektrowerkzeuge, Gleit- und Wälzlager
bei hohen Flächenpressungen, Motorzahnkränze, Starterritzel.

Rolling bearing grease
Colour blue
Therm. Application range: –20 ... +120 ° C. Properties: water-resistant, anti-corrosive.
Application: DC generators, power tools, slide and roller bearings
with high surface pressures, motor ring gears, starter pinions.

Ft2v3 (5 700 082 025):

Silikonfett
Farbe: schwarzgrau
Therm. Einsatzbereich: –40...+120°C. Eigenschaften: synthetisch, wasserabweisend, sehr alterungsbeständig, mit Hochdruckzusätzen. Anwendung: Wälzlager, Einrückachsen, Ritzelschäfte.

Silicone grease
Color: black-gray
Therm. Application range: –40 ... +120 ° C. Properties: synthetic, water-repellent, very resistant to aging, with high-pressure additives. Application: roller bearings, engagement axes, pinion shafts.

Last edited by ratwell on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Google translate? Ft1v4 is a hot bearing grease, not "storage" Wink

And by the properties you can see why I pointed out and still think it is better to use a ball bearing grease (universal lithium grease) in place of Ft1v26. The nick name "distributor grease" for Ft1v4 have had people think it goes everywere in the distributor, but it is only for the points. It's good for points block and cam where you (should) wipe it off and apply new grease at least every points change. Not as good inside the distributor where its stays longer. The sticky properties is also great for points, but not needed or as good elsewhere. There is also no advantage in the hot/cold properties..

In reallity it might not matters what you use inside the distributor, but it is sure not more correct or better to use the "distributor grease" ("points grease") Ft1v4 as I see it. Everything is better than 50 years of dirt though..
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Here’s what Bosch has to say on the availability of these lubricants which might help track down any old stock in future.

NMV = NLA
Unbekkant = unknown

FT1V4 = 5700002025
FT2V3 = 5700081025 / nicht mehr Verfügbar
FT1V26 = nicht mehr Verfügbar
Ft 1 V 8 = 5700003005 /025 nicht mehr Verfügbar
Ft 1 v 22 = unbekannt
Ol 1 V 2 = 5701071610/ nicht mehr Verfügbar
Ol 1 V 13 = unbekannt
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

I thought of this thread while I took apart a basically brand new Mexican 034 yesterday. I guess you can say the factory liked to over grease! lol.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I thought of this thread while I took apart a basically brand new Mexican 034 yesterday. I guess you can say the factory liked to over grease! lol.

Is all that hair? That's what I found in the NOS one I opened up.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Is all that hair? That's what I found in the NOS one I opened up.

It looked more like felt fabric fibers.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

This is a later Bosch grease table (mid 70's). It's in Swedish but I can come back with a translation of needed. I also have it from late 50's but it might not be interesting as it all is in Swedish.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Lubricate and/or oil anything that has metal on metal. You do not want metal to be touching metal without any type of lubrication. Once you lubricate and run the distributor you can easily clean up any excess with a small towel. Just attach the bottom of the drive gear to something that can spin it quite well. Then take a small towelette and wipe off the inside of the distributor.

Very weak grease used on a rotation area will easily slide off the unit. For instance, if you put wheel bearing grease on the cam lobes it will easily disappear due to centrifugal force and not provide any support. This is what the point grease is for. It is a high temperature grease to support this area.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Bosch Distributor Grease does not come off from the centrifugal force of running the engine. That's why it works so well.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

I located some Ft 1 v 26 grease on eBay:

It was repackaged by Kohler and their part number is 33-527-02 if more can be located.

The grease itself has a creamy consistency and I'm going to see what I can source that has similar composition and consistency.

Like the Ft1v4 distributor cam grease, there's a newer style white and blue colored tube out there somewhere.

Last edited by ratwell on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

That's more of a bearing grease.

This is the Distributor Grease.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Bosch distributor grease is readily available. It's $15 a tube on the classifieds here. It's also on ebay.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

There are a few grease points missing in the picture. Notably the vacuum canister and points plus a number of others.

You do not want to reuse those fiber washers under the weights. I have custom made plastic for those areas in my distributor rebuilds. The originals disintegrate very easily. When they do there is wear caused on the rods that stick out that becomes a problem.

ratwell wrote:

ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
This is the Distributor Grease.

Understood. We all know that as the grease for the cam and points rubbing block inside the distributor.

I'm going down the rabbit hole of the lubrication specs I started this thread with...
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

This is a German 0 231 178 003 (industrial engine centrifugal distributor). Not nos but probably very few hours on it.

Less "over" greased, but still a good smear under the weights contact to the plate. Some grease have been thrown out to the walls of the distributor, but here that doesn't matters. And No hair Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: