Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct ID for the brake vacuum
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Correct ID for the brake vacuum Reply with quote

My line is totally shot, did some measurements, and best as I can tell its a 11/32"- but want to make sure before i go buy 20' of hose
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Correct ID for the brake vacuum Reply with quote

Can't help you with the ID, but if you are replacing vacuum tube with hose, it will need to be strong enough not to collapse. VW back in the day, had vacuum hose with a wire reinforcement.

I've not seen the plastic tube actually fail. Are you sure you need to run the entire length of the van?
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Correct ID for the brake vacuum Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Can't help you with the ID, but if you are replacing vacuum tube with hose, it will need to be strong enough not to collapse. VW back in the day, had vacuum hose with a wire reinforcement.

I've not seen the plastic tube actually fail. Are you sure you need to run the entire length of the van?

I guess I could cut the portions where its got holes in and splice, but it seems to be a pretty straightforward line with a check valve, so I figured id just replace it
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Correct ID for the brake vacuum Reply with quote

It just needs to be thick walled. Otherwise, the vacuum inside will allow it to collapse on itself.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Correct ID for the brake vacuum Reply with quote

I contacted this co about these lines: https://www.siliconehose.com/0-3125-8mm-5-16-id-high-performance-silicone-vacuum-hose/

will report back
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct ID for the brake vacuum Reply with quote

and this:
https://www.vanagain.com/shop/black-vacuum-hard-line-for-all-vw-bus-and-vanagon-brake-booster
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct ID for the brake vacuum Reply with quote

I just bought this hose for my Truck. The only place that actually had it in stock was "West Coast Metric" they sell it in 3 ft lengths and it is pricey. My original lasted over 30 years so spending $45.00 on its replacement is OK with me.
These are expensive toys, don't cheap out over a few dollars.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Correct ID for the brake vacuum Reply with quote

Tube for Brake Booster - 12.5x1.25x3450
Plain ole 1/2" nylon air brake tubing. Both have plain ends. I would use internal sleeves.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: