Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yep, yet another "starter clicks" inquiry!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWilliamsga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yep, yet another "starter clicks" inquiry! Reply with quote

The end of the tumbler is worn like someone else said. I finally got tired of messing with it and put a push button in panel under rear seat passengers side get in turn in switch reach back hit button away we go. I was told you could put jb weld on stem on tumbler to make it then more. One day I will fix it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Yep, yet another "starter clicks" inquiry! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

No sealants are prescribed for such mounting points. If you know of one and have documentation to support it, I would love to research it.

If they did use anything, you think that it would be used on the battery terminals. But nothing. Well, at least on the cars I have and have seen.

Sure, no problem:

1. VW Official Service Manual for 1970 on VW Beetle/KG, section 7 (Electrical), page 10, 5.2,
"To Install 1. Lubricate the starter shaft bushing with multipurpose grease, then apply a good sealing compound around the starter opening in the transmission case.".

2. VW Official Service Manual for 1966-69 VW Beetle/KG, section 10, page 14, 4.3,
"2. Apply a good sealing compound between intermediate bracket and transmission case.

Both the above mention sealing the solenoid.

3. Workshop Manual Volkswagen 1200 (Type 1), Electrical System:
E-3, page 2,
"2 - Apply Genuine VW Sealing Compound D 1 a between intermediate bracket and transmission case.

E-3, page 12,
"2 - Coat the outer edge of the solenoid face with a thin layer of VW Sealing Compound D 15."

Workshop Manual VW Transporter 1959: Has same starter sealant info as the VW 1200 workshop manual, Electrical System, E-3, page 2.

Workshop Manual VW Passenger Car 1960: Has same starter sealant as above, Electrical System, E-3, page 2.

Workshop Manual Volkswagen 1500 1965: Has same starter sealant as above, Electrical System, E-3, page 2. Next page has starter solenoid installation info with sealant.

Workshop Manual Volkswagen Transporter 1963: Electrical System, E-5, page 2.
"2 - Seal the starter flange mounting surface on the transmission with Genuine Sealing Compound D 1a." Next page has starter solenoid installation info with sealant.

Same general starter and solenoid sealing info in the:

1. Volkswagen Service Manual VW 1300 1500.

2. Volkswagen Service Manual (1968-1970) Station Wagon, Delivery Van, Pickup, Double Cab.

3. Volkswagen Official Service Manual, Station Wagon/Bus 1968-78.

This last one above has (I had not noticed before!) in the section 4, Electrical System, page 6, 4.1,
"After the terminals (battery) have been cleaned and the positive cable and ground strap tightly installed on the battery posts should be coated lightly with petroleum jelly or sprayed with a commercial battery terminal corrosion inhibitor."

Same battery terminal info in the VW Official Service Manual Type 1 1970-1979 as above.

That battery info probably to be due to the VW Computer Diagnoses. Also mentioned in those last two later manuals is that if replacing with the wrong ground strap, the voltage can be changed enough to affect the computer.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:43 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Yep, yet another "starter clicks" inquiry! Reply with quote

Thanks! I will check out all of those this weekend!

Any other auto manufacturers you know of?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Yep, yet another "starter clicks" inquiry! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Thanks! I will check out all of those this weekend!

Any other auto manufacturers you know of?

Glad to help.

The few other Manufactures of automobiles that I have had to work on, never came with repair manuals that were anywhere as detailed as the VW ones.

For a few years not long ago had a starting problem with our 1963 single cab still running 6 volt system, that is not driven daily. It just would not start for the first time each day after sitting overnight. Turn the key and not even a click. Had to jump it with another battery or top the battery with the battery charger to just get it to start. Rest of that day it would start just fine. Went thru all the wiring connections and usual grounds, with not much better results. Even changed the starter, no change. Finally cleaned the starter to transaxle and put on the dielectric grease. Suddenly the starter engaged without jumper cables or using the battery charger, if it was run about the day or two before. Still the starter was kind of slow, and if it did not fire in less than 30 seconds, it was not going to start till battery was charged back up or jumped. So pulled the starter to clean/grease between the solenoid and starter body. That ground did not look corroded at all. Once back together the SC turned the engine over much faster, even after a week of sitting it can start. Now it is more of a problem that after a week in the Summer sitting the carb/fuel pump will be dry, so need to pour in a teaspoon of fuel down the carb throat to get going. Think part of that problem is the SC fuel tank is lower than any other type 1 or type 2 other than the double cabs.
Elwood55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Yep, yet another "starter clicks" inquiry! Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my '69. I would just get a click sometimes. The first thing I tried was an Autozone rebuilt starter. No change. BTW battery checked OK with my battery checker. Next I installed a hard start relay. No change. I then replaced the battery with a new one. No change. I would get a click 1 in 12 times I tried to start the car. Finally, I tested the charging voltage. Guess what? It was only 12.7 volts. There was enough charging voltage to where the gen light would not illuminate, but the battery was not fully charged ever. I flashed the generator and then the charging voltage went up to 13.8 volts. If I was a little bit smarter, I would have checked this first, but with no gen light lit and battery voltage at 12.7v this threw me off. I've had no problem since then about 1500 miles. Hope this helps.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Yep, yet another "starter clicks" inquiry! Reply with quote

Elwood55 wrote:
I would get a click 1 in 12 times I tried to start the car. Finally, I tested the charging voltage. Guess what? It was only 12.7 volts.

Seen the same with a beautifully restored 1958 Westfailia. NOS regulator a year before was only putting out at most about 6 volt instead of the 7.2 volt it should have. Everything has to be checked, everything.

BTW, CONGRATS on your first post!!! Always great to see someone new get involved.

Been involved in getting some David Bradley walk behind tractors working on our place over the last few years, that were made from the end of WW2 till late 1960s. Joined several forums that are oriented specifically on those tractors. Have been very disappointed that less then five posts a month is a real busy one. Same forums back in the 2000 thru 2009 were getting around a thousand posts per month.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Yep, yet another "starter clicks" inquiry! Reply with quote

Elwood55 wrote:
I flashed the generator and then the charging voltage went up

When Mrs. Cusser flashed, the generator wasn't the only thing that went up
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: