Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjust throttle linkage to adjust idle?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Adjust throttle linkage to adjust idle? Reply with quote

My van has a high idle. It'll stay around 1,800 RPM when I first start the engine and will settle down temporarily to about 1200-1400 if I blip the gas pedal. I think my throttle body butterfly axis has a small bit of play in it but this issue seems to have worsened since I had my auto trans R&Red.

I recently noticed that the lock nut on the end of the throttle linkage was loose so I tightened it without making any changes to the length of the threaded portion that extends past the nut.

If I push on the linkage in the direction my finger is pointing this photo, the idle will go down to about 1,200 RPM. I'm thinking I could adjust the linkage to increase the amount of threads extend past the nut but worry that may throw something else off, like the kick down adjustment.

Any thoughts on this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjust throttle linkage to adjust idle? Reply with quote

Here’s the deal. At idle that rod should be invisible to the throttle body. You need to look at the manual where it describes adjusting the throttle plate stop and then the throttle switch. Once you have those adjusted properly then you can look at the lever between the throttle body and the trans adjustment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: