Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

I ordered some preventative maintenance parts!

What did you do? Pictures would be awesome!

Last edited by EVCSNOW on Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Took it to the coast, took a ferry and got away from lockdown!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Our EV sat at the curb. 4 cars with 2 drivers in the house and the EV is hardly a great errand runner. It runs fine but is cumbersome in a parking lot at Home Depot.
And to the OP, you might want to ad a "to" in the title...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

AWESOME!

dazey77 wrote:
Took it to the coast, took a ferry and got away from lockdown!
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

I removed my totally non functional Westfalia camper water tank level sensor; cut it open; fully rebuilt it, including the electronics; water tested it; re-installed it; and enjoyed seeing the functional water tank icon on the overhead display again. This had never worked since I’ve owned the van, but it’s all good now.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
I removed my totally non functional Westfalia camper water tank level sensor; cut it open; fully rebuilt it, including the electronics; water tested it; re-installed it; and enjoyed seeing the functional water tank icon on the overhead display again. This had never worked since I’ve owned the van, but it’s all good now.

What did you have to do to rebuild the tank level sensor?
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Finished the front brakes finally. Lucas RC54 calipers. Had to drill 3 of the 4 pins out.

A lot of antiseize this time...

Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

EVCSNOW wrote:
Westfabulous wrote:

What did you have to do to rebuild the tank level sensor?

It was pretty much a full rebuild: new resistors, new reed switches, new lead wires, new mounting hardware (the original mounting hardware disintegrated). Reinstalled the repaired electronics and then repaired the existing tube after cutting it open. Water tested for 24 hours. Bench tested. Tested in vehicle. Installed in vehicle. Voila!

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

I installed a digital thermostat. Honeywell Pro 1000 model. It works great!

It's backlit too!

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Put two zip ties around the fan speed regulating resistors as they rush to entropic death
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Installed some LED tubes to replace the fluorescent ones.

compared to the fluorescent ones the LED tubes are much brighter and use less electricity. Below is how bright the fluorescent tubes are. Note that they look really bright in the photo but are much dimmer than the LED version.

MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

EVCSNOW wrote:
Installed some LED tubes to replace the fluorescent ones.
[pics]

compared to the fluorescent ones the LED tubes are much brighter and use less electricity. Below is how bright the fluorescent tubes are. Note that they look really bright in the photo but are much dimmer than the LED version.

[pic]

Did you replace the entire light fixture? The one above the sink does not look like the stock light.
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

No, it's stock as far as I know. I had to rewire the lights to bypass the ballast and installed the LED tubes. Then I put the light cover back on. Super bright and easy to do. Tubes cost around $20/each.
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Installed mesh covers around the suburban exhaust inlet-outlet to keep bugs/critters out! Going to swap out the ports and get new bolts, then caulk the perimeter of the unit.

OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

We have a parasitic power drain *somewhere* in the EV. I keep a small solar panel on it to keep enough juice in the battery to start it. Since the 69 Westfalia is currently out of service, I wanted to take the EV out Wednesday night to a local VW get-together. It had just enough battery (11.9 volts) to start.
It was a reminder that the EV is a very comfortable car to travel in. Great for getting out on the road. Post Covid we will be doing more of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

What tubes did you use for that? I replaced some burned out fluorescents recently that were probably original, but I'd really like to put LEDs in there. Did you also replace the one in the roof?

EVCSNOW wrote:
No, it's stock as far as I know. I had to rewire the lights to bypass the ballast and installed the LED tubes. Then I put the light cover back on. Super bright and easy to do. Tubes cost around $20/each.

64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

I used THESE.

I also had to rewire the light housing to bypass the ballast. If you like, I can make a write-up for that.

I have been pleased with them so far. I wonder if they will last as long as the original tubes which were made in Japan. Some reviews were stating that the bulbs burned out prematurely. Anyway, I wanted to try them out. Hope this helps.

sgirard wrote:
What tubes did you use for that? I replaced some burned out fluorescents recently that were probably original, but I'd really like to put LEDs in there. Did you also replace the one in the roof?

EVCSNOW wrote:
[/url]
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! I would be very interested in a write up on that if you have a chance.

EVCSNOW wrote:
I used THESE.

I also had to rewire the light housing to bypass the ballast. If you like, I can make a write-up for that.

I have been pleased with them so far. I wonder if they will last as long as the original tubes which were made in Japan. Some reviews were stating that the bulbs burned out prematurely. Anyway, I wanted to try them out. Hope this helps.

64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

EVCSNOW wrote:
Installed mesh covers around the suburban exhaust inlet-outlet to keep bugs/critters out! Going to swap out the ports and get new bolts, then caulk the perimeter of the unit.

Good idea, done it myself on each of the body openings, mud daubers love places like that to nest. Underneath the battery box is an opening you can screen also.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
steve2sloth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

I'm working on a way to transport my stand up paddleboard in the EVC. Previously I just set it on the floor, leaned up on the back seat, nearly touching the back window. That worked ok but it blocks my fridge and takes up a lot of the floor space in transit so it's not so convenient. Also, it has to go in/out through the back door because it's too big to go in the sliding door. I won't put them on the roof because the poptop is not so strong and I've got some solar panels up there already.

My idea was to hang the paddleboard(s) inside, from the ceiling, so they won't take up any floor space. To that end I made a couple of wooden 2x4" joists, with notches cut on the sides, that sit on the upper bed track, which was designed to hold more weight than just my 35lb paddleboard. There's a ratcheting strap that goes through a 3/4" pipe and hangs the paddleboard from the joists which I padded with a pool noddle glued to the underside of the joist.

This was my first test of the idea... it was ok, not great. The way that I have the 1" ratcheting strap going through the pipe and the ratchet positioned above the board makes it difficult to tighten/loosen and (though you can't see it in the pics) it doesn't hang straight down so the joists can twist a bit when tightened. I have an idea to change the way the straps work and I'll test that out soon.

In these pictures, the straps are loose and the board hangs low. The good thing was that it was easy to load the board by myself. I simply put the joists onto the bed shelf, loosen the straps, open the back door, slide the board in resting the front of the board on top of the back set, push the board forward through the two sets of straps, then then tighten the ratchets to raise the board against the ceiling.

Seems to work fine with my 10.5' paddleboard (it's on the shorter end of paddleboard types)... the front of the board is very close to my head in the drivers seat, a couple inches away, but it doesn't obstruct my view or make me bump it. Also it does not slide forward/back so my windows are safe. I'm not sure that it would work with a longer board or with a second board... I'll have to try it out and see.

Anyways, that's my silly project Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: