Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Column Help?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

I have a pile of parts for the steering column / turn signal. I didn't take it apart so I don't know how it goes back together.

Now, I have the brown Bentley and the car is a 67 so it's the wrong book. But I can't even find 68+ instructions to start with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

You might want to look thru Clatter's thread or Monte's thread for pics of rebuilding the 67 and earlier column head. I know Monte has some great pics of when he did his. Scott also has some pics from doing his early T-34 that might help.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

Reading ...

Already it looks like some parts are missing. The spring and split washer on the shaft.

Some good news ... the ignition switch is an ISP replacement so NOT 53 years old. That makes me so happy

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

What keeps the switch in place? It looks like there needs to be a screw or post through the semi-circular part to engage the switch?

PS: can someone translate those position markings?

Max
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

Maybe this exploded view helps

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/type+3++type+4/t3/1967-33/4/415-49000/

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

You're missing a few pieces and your rubber blocks should be replaced.
Here's another exploded view:
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

I'm making a list of missing parts using https://www.vwispwest.com/pg94

113415589A Thrust Ring
113415587A Thrust Spring
113415593A Washer
111415521D Locking Shell

ISP shows some of these as sold out.

I'm wondering if my best bet would be to obtain another steering column (like from a bug) for parts. Those are all type-1 bug part numbers. A column from a 61-67 bug should do, right?

Max
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

So ... the body meets the chassis in three weeks. That is when I need a functional steering column.

It has been suggested to me on the type3 list that a later type-3 column might work. Can anyone here confirm that?

Max
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

The hole for the half moon piece to bolt to the ignition switch is under the ISP sticker. I have used several of those ISP switches on early columns I have rebuilt, always work perfectly. Great product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

Ahhh. Under the ISP sticker. One mystery solved.

Thanks!

Max
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
So ... the body meets the chassis in three weeks. That is when I need a functional steering column.

It has been suggested to me on the type3 list that a later type-3 column might work. Can anyone here confirm that?

Max

I've been using a 71 column in my 65 Notch for 20 years now. I used the 65's lower tube though, as the 71 version was a little too short. I did have to modify the rubber bits that hold the column head to the dash though. I also added a couple of washers in there to angle the head down to a more comfortable position for me (seemed to be angled up too much).
I haven't had to touch it in the 20 years I installed it, other than replacing the electrical portion of the switch (did that during the install). Other than the self canceling portion (was broke when I got it), everything works like it's supposed to.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

Good to know. Thanks Bob

Max
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Column Help? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Good to know. Thanks Bob

Max

Yeah, but I screwed up though, and used a 1 year only set up (71 only). If I had to do it over, I'd use a 68 thru 70 unit, as you can get parts for them.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: