Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV work
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: CV work Reply with quote

I have a CV joint that has been slightly knocking during long climbs. It is now knocking around right hand turns. I’m planning to take the axles apart and repack all the joints. I would like to have all the parts on hand before starting. I know I at least need one joint. Is there a way to tell externally if I should order more than just the one?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

That’s tough. My choice would be to have inspected them prior to ordering. No way to tell externally. I ran a new joint along with a good used joint on my van. The new joint prematurely wore out. The new ones are so stiff, I think the used one was taking up all the movement causing the new one to remain more stationary. So, I’d replace them in pairs. Worse case you end up with a good spare. The original joints were the best ones. So don’t be quick to toss them.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

If it can sit in the mean time you could slice the boots off to inspect them. That is less work than removing them. However, it's not that much less work and I would rather just pull the axle, inspect, and order parts, like Mark said.

If you can't do that, ordering 2 new or refurb axles and swapping them is a much faster course of action. Rebuild 1 of the originals as a spare.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

It can sit, I just don’t want to get all greasy two times. Razz I might just order two joints and hope there are not more than 2 bad ones. Best case I have one of my ones for a spare. Worst case I have to order more later.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

Slight knocking which is occasional means you need 0 joints

Pull them off, clean and repack and they will be quiet for at least 10-50k miles miles
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

That’s good to know. I crawled under the van and both inner ones have play if I move the axle vertically. I can hear the bearings so they are dry for sure.

I ordered a couple Lobro joints in case. They are not that expensive. I’ll take apart and see. If they are still VW joints maybe they are ok. I’ll dig into it next weekend.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

Order parts for the worst case, so you're ready for any disappointing surprises.

Even if you find the originals can be cleaned & repacked with success, having 1-2 new CVs on board when travelling far from home is wise. And parts quality ain't getting any better, so buy good stuff now while you can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

Whoa! Cowboy!

A clicking CV is not always a bad CV.

A clicking CV mist likeky needs grease.

Cleaning it is good but I'd give serious hesitation to pulling out what may be an OG CV to slip in an inferior new one.

Lube your OG joint, it may last another 100,000 miles!

New parts are new....... not good or better, just new,

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
Order parts for the worst case, so you're ready for any disappointing surprises.

Even if you find the originals can be cleaned & repacked with success, having 1-2 new CVs on board when travelling far from home is wise. And parts quality ain't getting any better, so buy good stuff now while you can.

x2... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Whoa! Cowboy!

A clicking CV is not always a bad CV.

A clicking CV mist likeky needs grease.

Cleaning it is good but I'd give serious hesitation to pulling out what may be an OG CV to slip in an inferior new one.

Lube your OG joint, it may last another 100,000 miles!

New parts are new....... not good or better, just new,

Dave

Tell me about it. This isn’t my first rodeo Dave. Having driven these bricks for 15 years I know all about replacement part quality. I have no idea if these are VW joints, but the van only had 60k on it when I got it so I suspect they might be. If they look good, they will get repacked and swapped to the opposite side of the van and I’ll have a couple extra joints to toss under the back seat.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

One more quick question. How much lateral movement should there be? Should I be able to move the axle far enough to the outside that it hits the hub?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

^^^ Normal...

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

Double glove to keep the moly off your hands and clothes. It’s great stuff and doesn’t wash out, that’s why you want it in your CVs
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

One thing I discovered on my recent 1200 mile drive is that grease prevents oscillation and looseness by damping harmonic vibration. I realized this when my CV joint began to vibrate and rattle. Turned out it was in perfect condition metal-wise (not pitted) except that it was dry. I simply repacked them and flipped them over to expose the other surface to pressure. Not side-by-side but just install them flipped.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

So far so good!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

You can get a good idea of the wear on the joints if you jack each wheel up in turn and with the transmission in gear have someone turn the wheel hard in each direction by hand while you slide the axle shaft back and forth laterally, if you can feel the balls dropping hard into the pits then the joint may well be worn beyond use. Note that this is NOT a definitive test.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

Get a zerk needle grease adapter and shoot some in the joint. I do this twice a year to all CVs and they have been flawless for thousands of miles. Every 50k miles, or before a big long road trip, I will tear them down, clean, inspect, and repack then add new boots.

I used to have CV joint problems but not for years now. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CV work Reply with quote

That was a fun, clean project. /s Laughing

Ended up finding 4 cv’s each dated the same date, a couple months before van was built. I ended up just swapping sides after cleaning and repacking them. The only have 80k or so on them and looked pretty good.

I did try to test fit a brand new Lobro and it would not even fit onto the axle. The bore is too small. I don’t know if it makes sense to even throw these in my part bin since they don’t even slide onto the axle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: