Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New project: 63 sunroof notch
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Yesterday I bought myself a new project. It is a Dec. 62 sunroof notchback puzzle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More to come once I pick it up.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car

Last edited by mdege on Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Ruby red and sunroof! Aaaaaghhhh!

Nice!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Very cool. Looks mostly complete on the outside. Not sure how much is left of the inside. More pics when you can please. Cool
Make sure all of the mechanical parts for the sunroof are there though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Nice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Very cool. Looks mostly complete on the outside. Not sure how much is left of the inside. More pics when you can please. Cool
Make sure all of the mechanical parts for the sunroof are there though.

Sunroof is complete and working. Luckily it hasn't been torn apart.

I'll post more pictures when I pick it up and during the resto.

260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Very nice looking project you got there.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

WOW
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

I picked up my notchback yesterday. What I got is a big puzzle with some extra and some missing pieces.

Most of it is actually quite nice, but I have decided I will need to replace the heater channels, inner rockers and probably also the outer rockers which are new but not well done.

Once I am at it I might also decide to replace the floor pans on both sides.

It looks like I will have to make the inner rockers and heater channels my self because all I can find are replacements for the later style. I will need some measurements of the front heater vent. The PO welded them shut Shocked

Here are two more pictures:

Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

One other thing is the side markers are in the wrong location on pre 64 cars they are above the trim line. I can get you measurements and pics of this as well as the heater vents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
One other thing is the side markers are in the wrong location. on pre 64 cars they are above the trim line. I can get you measurements and pics of this as well as the heater vents.

I haven't noticed the wrong location of the parking lights, good point. But at the moment I am glad I have good fenders. I will move the lights should I repaint the fenders at some point.

Measurements would be very helpful and much appreciated.

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Not nitpicking, but you are sporting a square back pass door, or in your case, a RHD driiver door. Notchbacks did not have passenger mirrors.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

See it as an update for traffic safety Very Happy . But, thank you for pointing it out, I am still learning, just got it and I am sure there is more to come.

How do you get the glove box cover to open when you push the button? I have to push the Button and then pull on the cover with my fingernails.

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

There are two rubber nipples at both top corners, that slightly push outward all the time. Over time, they flatten out and or are missing. When they are present, they push the lid out when you depress the chrome button.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Jason37 wrote:
One other thing is the side markers are in the wrong location. on pre 64 cars they are above the trim line. I can get you measurements and pics of this as well as the heater vents.

I haven't noticed the wrong location of the parking lights, good point. But at the moment I am glad I have good fenders. I will move the lights should I repaint the fenders at some point.

Measurements would be very helpful and much appreciated.

I will be out in the shop tonight and will get you some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
There are two rubber nipples at both top corners, that slightly push outward all the time. Over time, they flatten out and or are missing. When they are present, they push the lid out when you depress the chrome button.

The same part as the later fuel door uses.
I guess that's why an aftermarket pull handle (that goes under the button) was offered. The rubber bumpers might be in one of the boxes that came with the car.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

The bumpers are there, I'll try adjusting the catch a bit tighter hoping that will help.

I sorted through the parts and now have a fairly good idea of what is obviously missing, I have already started to hunt for parts. I should be getting a salvaged heater channel and rocker in really good condition for the left side. I believe I should be able to fix the right side because it nowhere as bad as the left side.

But right now I am working on getting the windows back in. I need to be able to move the car out side from time to time. We use the garage where it sits as a workshop and one of my sons need a new motor in his Jetta 1 Diesel. Once that is back on the road I can really dig into this one.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the engine compartment. I haven't done anything to it yet. Haven't even removed the hazelnut shells, that some rodent left there.

It looks like it is the original motor. The number fits to the chassis number and it has not been rebuilt. The fuel pump is not original but I am getting the correct one probably next week. I already have new bellows and the air intake is also in the parts stash.

Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Looks like the right motor for the smaller early engine bay. I found rebuild kits for the PHN carb on eBay, iirc, user was alfa1750.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint with the rebuild kit. I ordered one, I am sure I will need it.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New project: 63 sunroof notch Reply with quote

I started to do some minor work on my new project. First goal is to get all of the windows back in, because I need to be able to move it out side without the inside getting wet when it rains.

I disassembled and cleaned the door locks and reinstalled the window regulators.

I sanded down the rust on the rear window frame and treated it with Owatrol and Branthokorrux for rust prevention. This will need sometime to really dry toughly, then I reinstall the rear window temporarily.

I removed the steering column because some one had stripped the threads. Welded new material to the column and then turned it down to the right size on my lathe and used a M18 x 1.5 dye to cut the new threads.

I also did some exploration into one of the POs patches. Unfortunately it looked worse than I had hoped for. I have a complete left rocker clip but I will have to rebuild the right side myself.

On the positive side, my dash looks really clean, even the original pad is un-cracked.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: