Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

small engine repair
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: small engine repair Reply with quote

Hey. Trying to see if my logic is sound. I have a 2012 Husqvarna lawn tractor with oil weeping out of the case seam. I recently resealed my vanagon water jacket, and now am wondering if I can use The Right Stuff as a sealant for the Briggs and Stratton engine case. It had a thin gasket originally, but I can only find a gasket set for the engine at $114, not just the gasket. Any thoughts appreciated about whether The Right Stuff is appropriate in this situation. Bob
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

What about Permatex Ultra Grey?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

I was hoping to use stuff that I already had, but that looks like the right choice - thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
What about Permatex Ultra Grey?

I was at the parts store today and got this stuff. I bet it would.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

Right Stuff is awesome but might be too thick. I use it on the cam plug and if i'm installing a deep sump. But I use Permatex Aviation on the case halves.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

Well well well - I have Permatex Aviation as well. That stuff is just about the messiest stickiest stuff around. Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

Are you proposing to goop this on the outside of the seam with the engine assembled?, or use it on the seam mating surfaces before reassembly?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

I am looking for something to use on the mating surface instead of the paper gasket.
adventurebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

Yamabond.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

adventurebob wrote:
Yamabond.

Agreed, but that Permatex gray is pretty much the same stuff. My only concern would be if it's counting on the gasket as a spacer and the end play tightens up so much it locks it up or eats the bearings after an hour. Let the goo set up 15 minutes before assembling so there's a hard scum that will replicate the gasket thickness if you are worried too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

Hylomar ..... the original formula.

It baffles me why such a great product isn't more widely distributed.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

You can also purchase a sheet of gasket paper and make one. It’s p easy, especially if your into arts-n-crafts😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Hylomar ..... the original formula.

It baffles me why such a great product isn't more widely distributed.

Dave

Good stuff, maybe a little pricey. I think at one time Rolls Royce held the patent for this. We used it a lot in fixing old airplanes 727s, DC 9s etc. https://hylomar.com/en/about-us/
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

Be careful using a sealant. On some engines, the gaskets set the crank end play. Check this after you reassemble. The gasket is available separately. You just need to find the right parts person, or send me the Model, Type & Code of the engine & I can look up a part # for you...
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

I have had some success using Permatex spray sealant leak repair.
https://www.permatex.com/products/adhesives-sealan...cale=en_us
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

yamabon or haylomar or gelseal... no the permatex is nothing like yamabond#2 what ever you use be sure it's totaly clean. you can not clean it good enough,I would still use the papar gadget unless there is a problem with using them like getting squised out due to case movement/migration. then 518 would be my choice( gelseal) the oto factorys clean with robotic plasma spray gun thingy seconds before the sealers are applied. thats how they get the silycone to work long term. ( look's like there welding them before squirting on them)
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input gang. I went with Permatex Grey, for better or worse. It's winter here so I won't be testing it anytime soon. Will report back with success/fail.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

The Ultra-Black designed for oil pans is what you want. The grey is good for sealing cylinder bases is about it. The Black seals really nice and stays pliable. Be perfect for the case cover on small engines.

I use it on my repairs and stays put. I got into this hobby recently - building longtail boat mud engines. They are fun!
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine repair Reply with quote

OK, it's midsummer and obviously I have been using the lawn tractor regularly. Happy to report that the reseal went perfectly. The Permatex grey is holding strong and there have been no leaks with about 20 hours of tractor use. Now I can say I have resealed a Waterboxer and a Briggs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: