Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

I searched for this and nothing, at least I could not locate anything on the topic.

Got my new to me Doka and trying to find a good way to mount the US plate on the Back. In Georgia and no front plate needed. Right now I bolted a piece of aluminum flat bar to the euro spaced holes and drilled holes in that plate for my GA plate.

Does not look good. Is there no commercially available plate holder that will do the job and look good? I have looked and found nothing so far. Aside from the holes being further apart there is just barely enough vertical space to fit under the lights and above the latch.

What do you doka owners do?
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

While I don't have a Doka, the ones I have seen seem to have it the same place as a regular van - Centred between the tail lights, and right under the 2 little license plate lights.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct. The European plate holes are around 16 inches apart where the US plates are much closer together. I know I could drill some more holes in the truck but would prefer not to. Even if I did I would need to repair the 2 holes for the Euro plates. As many cars are imported there must be a cleaner way than just drilling more holes?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

I'd just make up a bracket out of some flat steel & call it good.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

for some reason the place holder already has 2 holes for the US license plate. The Doka is from Germany.
btw what's wrong to drill 2 holes on the plate holder?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

Yeah, I did that. It looks just like I made a bracket out of flat aluminum and called it good- but it's not good enough.

Would like to hear from some doka owners with a different fix, although I am not hopeful there is one that will look good enough.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

how about getting one of this, mount it on the licence plate flap door and put your licence plate on it?

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Universal-License-...C1R713CCG3
bajabones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

Mine came with holes from PO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
for some reason the place holder already has 2 holes for the US license plate. The Doka is from Germany.
btw what's wrong to drill 2 holes on the plate holder?

Mine does not have that plate holder, hence the problem, just the 2 holes from the Euro plate.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
how about getting one of this, mount it on the licence plate flap door and put your licence plate on it?

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Universal-License-...C1R713CCG3

That one might actually work. I ordered another one from amazon that was supposed to fit but the holes were more for an American plate.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

bajabones wrote:
Mine came with holes from PO

Yours has had the Euro holes filled and new ones drilled. looks like what I will need to do. Just thought there might be another option.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

I think that plate holder has enough holes to fit whatever you need. Mine is similar to it but it's metal not plastic, 30 year old and some rust.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

This is the kind of thing that calls for a 3-D printed solution to change the design of the hatch from Euro plate dimensions to us dimensions. No matter how you slice it, us plates don't fit the Vanagon design and it shows.

Or you could do like DuncanS and rebuild the van to fit the plate...I recommend reading the thread to see what happened here...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8614293

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

For the Doka rear plate, seems like an opportunity to make a plate bracket that uses the Euro spacing, holds the US plate, and adds mounts for a rear fog lamp (red) plus a bright back up light as well. Make it complicated, make the vehicle better, and have fun!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

I would remount the old European plate and attach the American plate to it. That way it's easy to get back to Europe if you decide to move there sometime.

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

This is a hilarious thread. So many solutions. There are about a billion possibilities here. So I am going to throw in my 2 garbage cents.

Drill 2 holes through the license plate to match the euro bolt spacing.
bajabones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

Another NW Doka

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

Definitely Not a Doka ! If keeping with common slang it is a "Sinka" or Single cab.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajabones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

I stand corrected
Let’s call it a NW water cooled truck
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. license plate on a doka from Germany Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
This is a hilarious thread. So many solutions. There are about a billion possibilities here. So I am going to throw in my 2 garbage cents.

Drill 2 holes through the license plate to match the euro bolt spacing.

Genius. I will stretch that US plate another 6 inches and drill thru it. Why didn't I think of that?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: