Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

For the workshop manual Wolfsburg West, Amazon, Ebay, most any Vw parts supplier, etc.. For lowest price search the classifieds (daily), or any VW swap meet when this Covid mess is over.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
For the workshop manual Wolfsburg West, Amazon, Ebay, most any Vw parts supplier, etc.. For lowest price search the classifieds (daily), or any VW swap meet when this Covid mess is over.

Yeah, I'm a dope, it's still in print! I'll keep an eye out...

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

Yeah, I'm a dope, it's still in print! I'll keep an eye out...

Think we can speak for all on this here thread, we still love you! Laughing

WWW searches are so awesome of a tool....
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Oh, for those who are curious, here's the m-plate from my bus...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trucks were very simple back then, not a lot of options here...

Happy Thanksgiving!

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
The history of Otto
I vaguely remember having to have the transmission rebuilt or fixed in some way, but I don't remember precisely.

My friend Al did most of the heavy lifting on the project, scaring up parts and pointing at things and telling me to loosen them. It was a lot of fun for two bachelors.

The trans was puking oil badly, we pulled it, and Bugformance San Jose rebuilt it.
We reinstalled it with new mounts, and it was drivable, but I never liked the way it shifted into 1st.
New mounts, new shifter bushings and, the rebuild should have fixed it. It's a tunnel case trans in a split case bus,
so the front mount is an adaption that I cleaned up from the first guy that installed the tunnel case.
We did a 12 Volt conversion using parts from your 70 Westy, so the Gen is a 38, not a 30 Amp.
It stopped running sometime after 2000. I played with it, but didn't get it running.
I didn't have a good battery for testing, and work got really busy for 20 years! Confused
I found (what I hope worked out for you) big brake, small nut drums, at the VW Classic around 2002?
I'm so glad to see all the progress!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
bobrk wrote:
The history of Otto
I vaguely remember having to have the transmission rebuilt or fixed in some way, but I don't remember precisely.

My friend Al did most of the heavy lifting on the project, scaring up parts and pointing at things and telling me to loosen them. It was a lot of fun for two bachelors.

The trans was puking oil badly, we pulled it, and Bugformance San Jose rebuilt it.
We reinstalled it with new mounts, and it was drivable, but I never liked the way it shifted into 1st.
New mounts, new shifter bushings and, the rebuild should have fixed it. It's a tunnel case trans in a split case bus,
so the front mount is an adaption that I cleaned up from the first guy that installed the tunnel case.

It shifted really well, as I remember, once we gave up on the shift lock kit, which never worked right.

Quote:
We did a 12 Volt conversion using parts from your 70 Westy, so the Gen is a 38, not a 30 Amp.

Oh, interesting! I think it still has the 6 volt starter and wiper motor, right?

But did the 69 get new stuff?

Quote:
It stopped running sometime after 2000. I played with it, but didn't get it running.
I didn't have a good battery for testing, and work got really busy for 20 years! Confused
I found (what I hope worked out for you) big brake, small nut drums, at the VW Classic around 2002?

I have some drums, probably that’s where they came from. I need to build all that out yet.

Quote:

Thanks for remembering stuff I forgot, it’s fun!

Today, finish rear wheel seals and work on the brakes.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

One interesting thing about my truck is the modifications to the seat supports. Seems like someone who was tall did some hacking on the supports.

Not sure what's going on here, but it doesn't seem stock.

But this is definitely epic, a piece of angle iron scabbed into the bracket to give more leg room. As a 6'2" driver, I appreciate this.

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
ach60 wrote:
bobrk wrote:
The history of Otto

It shifted really well, as I remember, once we gave up on the shift lock kit, which never worked right.

Quote:

Oh, interesting! I think it still has the 6 volt starter and wiper motor, right?

But did the 69 get new stuff?

Quote:

I have some drums, probably that’s where they came from. I need to build all that out yet.

Quote:

Thanks for remembering stuff I forgot, it’s fun!

Today, finish rear wheel seals and work on the brakes.

I forgot that the shifter lock was an issue.
On your 12V conversion yes your wipers & starter are still 6V.
They made 12V windings for the wiper motor retrofit, but 6V starter has no issue with 12V.
The Brakes worked in 2005, but the Honda Minivan had no issue pulling Otto with all 4 drums locked by a Panicking Al.
The Westy got an Alternator Conversion when the Engine was rebuilt.
I'm hoping you put a gasket between the Reduction Box, and the new Backing Plates.
Swingaxle outer wheel bearing cavity is design intent is to leak excess(?) gear
oil out the back of the backing plate. Confused away from the brake shoes.
1930's tech?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
I forgot that the shifter lock was an issue.

For the value of what this truck has, I should probably look into it again.
ach60 wrote:

On your 12V conversion yes your wipers & starter are still 6V.
They made 12V windings for the wiper motor retrofit, but 6V starter has no issue with 12V.

Cool, I saw the armature for the wiper motor at WW.

ach60 wrote:
The Brakes worked in 2005, but the Honda Minivan had no issue pulling Otto with all 4 drums locked by a Panicking Al.

The back left seal was leaking and the brakes looked like crap back there.
ach60 wrote:

The Westy got an Alternator Conversion when the Engine was rebuilt.

Ah, yes, now I remember!

Obligatory comment: Shoulda kept that one.

ach60 wrote:
I'm hoping you put a gasket between the Reduction Box, and the new Backing Plates.

Yup, all sorted.

ach60 wrote:
Swingaxle outer wheel bearing cavity is design intent is to leak excess(?) gear
oil out the back of the backing plate. Confused away from the brake shoes.
1930's tech?

Well, I think only if the seal doesn't work. The weep hole is outside of the seal, but before you get to the brakes.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Got a bearing seat tool set from our favorite cheap ass tool store and set the rear bearing seal down where it needs to be on the bearing seal holder. Ripped out the big beetle o-ring and put a new gasket on because it kind of got messed up during that process. Good thing I accidentally bought an extra kit! Rear bearing seal done.

Then, I assembled the brakes. It's been a while so it took me way longer than it should have, but I think it's right.

Drum was a little rusty on the splines so I brake-cleaned it and greased it up a little and the whole thing went on perfectly.

Ran up the castle nut and realized I needed to really check out the tire size since I knew it was going to be tight.

Sweet, I have to really push it in there but it fits after and looks like clearance won't be an issue. The '63 rear end seems to be wider than the '59...

Cheers!

Still have to hook up the hydraulics and stuff, but that's a future job. Hoping to get the left brake done today.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

Then, I assembled the brakes. It's been a while so it took me way longer than it should have, but I think it's right.

The parking brake cable is not quite right. Needs to be down on the next ledge of the bearing cover.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
bobrk wrote:

The parking brake cable is not quite right. Needs to be down on the next ledge of the bearing cover.

Awesome, thanks. It didn't really want to sit there... I will fix it!

The new top spring was weird. It had one really large hook on one end and a smaller hook on the other. The old springs on mine were different, one looked like it had broken and a new hook made out of what was left and the other was symmetrical on both ends. Which side does the big hook go on? I put it in back because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

The new top spring was weird. It had one really large hook on one end and a smaller hook on the other. The old springs on mine were different, one looked like it had broken and a new hook made out of what was left and the other was symmetrical on both ends. Which side does the big hook go on? I put it in back because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spring ends should just be same length ends. Sounds like a manufacture "who is going to care" end result.

You are also missing the clip on the lower spring and lever bar.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
bobrk wrote:

Spring ends should just be same length. Sounds like a manufacture "who is going to care" end result.

I'll take a picture. It's weird.

Eric&Barb wrote:
You are also missing the clip on the lower spring and lever bar.

Ah yes. I saw that in some other pictures, have to see what happened to mine.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

To me it looks like the bearing cover is installed upside down. The part with the drain hole needs to be on the bottom. And then the parking break cable should also have the guide it needs.

bobrk wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
bobrk wrote:

Awesome, thanks. It didn't really want to sit there... I will fix it!

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
To me it looks like the bearing cover is installed upside down. The part with the drain hole needs to be on the bottom. And then the parking break cable should also have the guide it needs.
Nope, the bearing cover is correct. There is a hook at the top and the weep hole is at the bottom. From what has been stated before, I think the hook keeps the E-brake spring from fouling the top return spring.

Last edited by bobrk on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Sano.
I like to put Never Sieze on any moving or friction part. Also I like to sand the drum shiny glaze with 80 grit.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Sano.
I like to put Never Sieze on any moving or friction part. Also I like to sand the drum shiny glaze with 80 grit.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. The left side brake is putting up a fuss. I don't think the shoes seated right and the drum splines aren't as easy as on the other side. But it was getting cold and dark, so I quit to try again tomorrow.

I found one of the clips from the spring to the e-brake plate and there's no way it would clip on to anything I have in there. I'll do some more looking around on that.

I also found out today that the adjusters for the front brake are an ever slightly different size than the rear ones. I had a big pile of adjusters left over from the front disk brake conversion and mixed them up with the ones from the rear brakes. Some of them would not fit into the backing plate holes. When I examined them closely (I didn't measure the diameter other than trying to put them in the holes) they looked a bit longer, as well.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Good Morning!

bobrk wrote:
I found one of the clips from the spring to the e-brake plate and there's no way it would clip on to anything I have in there. I'll do some more looking around on that.

I fiddled around with that clip and figured out how it works. Just need to find the other one.

So the left brake is still not going on. I think what I'm looking at is a tolerance difference between the two brake shoes. I measured the distance between the two shoes at the adjusters and it was the same for both sides. I measured the distance between the two pistons on the cylinder, and they were also the same on both sides.

By the end of the job, I was getting way too good at putting the shoes on and off. The other day, I was so frustrated at that task, I had to take a break, but today, I became a pro...

I was super bummed to have broken both of the adjuster springs while I was playing around with the adjusters. They were super brittle. Those springs were the main reason for buying new backing plates. Grrr. I guess I will learn how to make those springs.

Initially, the drum itself wouldn't slide onto the splines very easily, so I tried the drum I had on the right side and it had the same issue. I looked at the splines and some of them were probably just beat up enough to prevent the drum from going on, so I did some gentle filing to clean up some corners and gouges.

After that, I got the drum all the way on, but this was with the shoes removed. I put the shoes back on, and tried again. Definitely, the drum is running into the shoes. It looks like the back shoe might go, but the front shoe is too thick.

It's close enough that I know I have the right size parts, just some combination of lots of intolerances. The right side was just barely touching...

I'm thinking about trying to grind off part of the tang on the shoe and see if I can get a few millimeters of clearance out of it. Does that sound insane?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Have you measured the block the adjusting stars are seated into?? If a little bit longer....

Original parts are all too often better than new ones. You might be able to make new adjusting star retaining springs and the other brake lever/spring clip out of banding strap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: