Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Wow! Great job finding the issue.
Everyday you get closer to......I don't know?
I think I'd have the "new" drum machined down,
I wouldn't even know how to start looking for the longer stub axle,
and I wouldn't know about the matching gear that goes on the long axle.
I'll defer to the experts though.

How did we not notice this? 😂

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

So are these the drums I got "new" ones at the VW Classic?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
So are these the drums I got "new" ones at the VW Classic?

Nope these were the drums on the truck.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Nice score on the truck, 27 years later ... Laughing
I like the TLC you have taken on the paint & logo's, Earlie RED trucks are cool, not the boring white. Laughing
My 1st Vw was a '59 Singlecab, bought in Colorado for $400 in 1980:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fight your way through this brake/axel issue and you'll be rolling !

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Nice!

Shopping for machinists now. Does anyone have suggestions in the San Jose area?

don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Nice!

Shopping for machinists now. Does anyone have suggestions in the San Jose area?

Give this place a call...

Nice work on the SC by the way... Very Happy

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

That's hilarious! But you can only get banh mi there now! 😂

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Ray Schubert (Mark Merrill's collection mechanic) will know of machine shops around San Jose. He's hard to get a hold of, but you can try [email protected]

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Oofff, finally got some work done on a glorious San Jose late winter day. I think I have all the brake plumbing done, except for the new master cylinder installation.

Front brake lines from my disk brake kit.

Rear flex lines and a new hard line for the rear

Also put these babies in, not easy.

Scoping out the new master cylinder installation

Little worried it will foul on the sway bar...

Remembering the hack job we did to adapt late too-long e-brake cables to an early bus. LOL

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Well, I think it’s gonna work. My empi spacer kit has triple-square 12 point bolts for which I don’t have a bit so that’s holding me up. Put everything up there just to see how it was going to fit though. Looks good to me!

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Spent some time getting the master cylinder mounted. Pretty sure I got the correct pipes hooked up to the right spots. Can't wait to get some fluid in there to test it.

EMPI spacer kit

Brake lines connected

Brake light switch connected

Front brake line on the bottom, rear on top

You can see them up there...

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Oofff,
Remembering the hack job we did to adapt late too-long e-brake cables to an early bus. LOL

My head hurts from those pictures, another ghost from the past comes back to haunt me!
And all I had to do was order this, VW Cable Shortening Kit, Parking Brake
Qty: 1 Code: 3169
https://www.jbugs.com/category/vw-dune-buggy-off-road-emergency-brake-cables.html
Funny what you can learn from a Dune Buggy.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

My head hurts from those pictures, another ghost from the past comes back to haunt me!
https://www.jbugs.com/category/vw-dune-buggy-off-road-emergency-brake-cables.html
Funny what you can learn from a Dune Buggy.

LOL

At least I didn't have to make a spacer for the new master cylinder!

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

I tried that kit, but the first time I yanked up on the handbrake to test it, it just ripped out. Tried tightening the grub screw even more, but it just stripped the hex head.

There are a few threads in the FAQs on more reliable ways to make the cables work. I think Glideking's solution in his Funky Truck thread is the most elegant though.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Yeah, when I saw “set screws” I was like, naw.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

Brake lines connected

So I put the front lines in next to the pedal (bottom of the picture) and the rear line and switch at the other end.

Is that right?

Ok, just read 15 pages of the 20 page dual circuit conversion FAQ. I have them backwards, and need to decide if I want to T the front brakes for another brake light switch. 🙄🤔😂

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
ach60 wrote:

I tried that kit, but the first time I yanked up on the handbrake to test it, it just ripped out. Tried tightening the grub screw even more, but it just stripped the hex head.

There are a few threads in the FAQs on more reliable ways to make the cables work. I think Glideking's solution in his Funky Truck thread is the most elegant though.

glideking wrote:
Usual problem of having non stock length hand brake cable when using "big nut" rear brake drums with early bus.

For years I used these off road cable ends and cut down the long '67 length cables. I used Loctite and they have never slipped.

Problem is there is very little room for adjustment as the cable stretches and brake lining wears. The hex section is too large to fit into the compensating lever and can't go through the tubes to remove the transaxle or RGBs. Once the cables have stretched they must be replaced. Later split buses have much more room for things like coupling nuts and treaded rod. No such room in the early bus. These are one time only use because they smash the cable.

Always looking for a better way. Turns out I had the solution all this time. I make my own aircraft control cables. This tool is $19 bucks from Aircraft Spruce.

3/32 tin plated copper swages are a perfect fit and stronger than the factory ends.

Here is the total length I used for a '67 brake backing plates with a stock '59 rearward positioned hand brake lever. Even with shrink tubing they fit easily through the chassis tubes.

It is beginning to look like 1959 under here. Now there is plenty of room for adjustment and the cables can be easily removed and installed.
Kurt

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
bobrk wrote:

Brake lines connected

So I put the front lines in next to the pedal (bottom of the picture) and the rear line and switch at the other end.

Is that right?

Ok, just read 15 pages of the 20 page dual circuit conversion FAQ. I have them backwards, and need to decide if I want to T the front brakes for another brake light switch. 🙄🤔😂

glideking wrote:
Here's another long winded one.

I have been trying to find a way to have a dual circuit master cylinder without modifying my pedal pan cover.

First some background info. Some early cars had a one circuit hydraulic braking system. Problem was when you had a leak or other failure some where you lost all braking. Early hand brakes used to be called EMERGENCY brakes for a reason. The idea behind a dual circuit system is you would still have half of the system still woking front or rear depending on failure location or which reservoir went dry first. So dual is a desirable improvement.

This is the dual circuit master I have been using for the last 200k miles for twenty + years. Varga ind. Bras. Made in Brazil. Very good quality, affordable. A direct replacement for a '79 bus with disk brakes like the ones I have on Funky. Wonderful. Components that were designed to work together. Problem is it requires a spacer to clear the reservoir to the frame and a VW Rabbit pickup mounted backwards or an expensive '67 only reservoir. It also has one of the outlets on the bottom so my pedal pan don't fit! Like so many of us I have run without a pedal pan, dirt, sand and mud getting all over my freshly greased shift linkages, cables and bushings. Bad.

I could cut holes in my pan right? That would be too easy. Easy is not a requirement. I am here to amuse myself.

I found this curious looking thing on the web. It was $30 and includes the reservoir and seals at 85 mm between centers. It clears the beam without mounting it backwards. Cheap enough just to get the reservoir that will fit. But wait! It is exactly the same specifications as my '79 master.
(edit)
Eric&Barb wrote:
VW Fox from searches on line shows as a 20 mm MC piston size.

1967 Bus is 22 mm.

1972-79 Bus is 23 mm.

Will be interesting to hear if the pedal pressure is a lot easier during braking and how high the pedal is from the floor when pressed down.
Could the master be used too? Too bad it has those bumps on the bottom.

I sawed off the unused bosses on the bottom. It fits without the spacer and the lid is accessible through the floor.

This pedal pan will now fit but it is for a '65 or so. It has a bulge for the steering box and bumps in back for a bigger master. I know they are all interchangeable but it is fun to see if I can get the right one to work.

I had to take another 4mm off the back to clear the pan. Hey it was 30 bucks.

No bumps. No holes. Flat around steering box and what a fabulous color! Screws holes are machine threaded same as engine tin.

The outlets are all now on the sides. I now have a full tilt dual circuit master cylinder hiding behind a correct '59 pan! I know, I know but it made me really happy doing it. It fits! Now I have to make it work.

I shortened the clevis and the pushrod. The nut must never touch the plunger during operation. Red arrow. There must also be some wiggle room here when the pedal is at rest.

First problem is the pedal return spring hits the frame preventing full depression of the master. This is important. It would defeat the advantage of a dual circuit during a failure if you can't press the pedal down enough to use the remaining circuit!

I cut clearance for the spring. Now we have full function.

A side tip. Here is how I wind up the pedal return spring easily. Bailing wire through a deep socket for comfort. The scratch in the paint the spring leaves gives it that stock VW authenticity.

We won't know how well this works until testing in April 2016. I will run it in both front and rear failure modes.

See you at OCTO
Kurt

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Photo of Kurt "glideking" I took in 2016(?) at Kelly Park
Craftsman with the 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck"
I recognized the Truck, from reading
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...unky+truck
which I had been following in 2016.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Thanks Al! I love the funky truck—have watched all the videos.

I see some issues that need to be addressed, namely, examining the brake pedal play and travel carefully.

As far as T-ing the front lines, I think I can do that with off the shelf parts, like this:

Shortest brake line in the CIP1 catalog:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D611%2D735%2DF

T-fitting:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D803%2D611%2D755

Another brake light switch or two:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D945%2D515%2DHGR

Find a place to hang the T-fitting and Bob's your uncle (he actually was!).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: