Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

[quote="bobrk"]
bobrk wrote:

Ok, just read 15 pages of the 20 page dual circuit conversion FAQ. I have them backwards, and need to decide if I want to T the front brakes for another brake light switch. 🙄🤔😂

And move sender you have to the other side to allow for pedal pan install.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

This from page 54 of the thread I listed earlier, but it doesn't show mounting like I thought it did, but here we go.

Eric&Barb wrote:
glideking wrote:
Using the '79 MC does NOT allow running a pan because of the bottom port.

Took a photo under our 1963 SC showing how to bend the short line and run it to a tee fitting as used in 1967 Bus front brakes, and all rear brake lines of VW. This allows the pedal pan to fit with no problem with the 1971-79 Bus MC. Hopefully the Fox MC works as is, but if not you can go back to plan "A"....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You could use a bolt, washer & nuts as a stand off, and mount it off that bulkhead shown.
I wouldn't leave it hang in space, like in the photo shown, that photo must be an in process photo.

For something completely different, I needed to use the Passat, so I walked out to the barn where I keep it.
But I hadn't used it for a month or so, and the battery was dead.
The same for the New Beetle, fortunately the '78 Convertible started, and I got everything jump started.
I'm going to have to stop using the Atlas for everything, so the others stay charged, and ready to go.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
You could use a bolt, washer & nuts as a stand off, and mount it off that bulkhead shown.
I wouldn't leave it hang in space, like in the photo shown, that photo must be an in process photo.

That's the plan! Parts bought, ready to go.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
ach60 wrote:

That's the plan! Parts bought, ready to go.

I'd just like to point out that cip1.com is a pretty good place to buy stuff from. When I first started this brake upgrade, I bought my CSP disk brake kit (with a pretty good discounted price) from them, and they called me to check that I was real because it was my first order from them, and it was also a lot of money. On this latest purchase, they called me because that short 160mm brake line was not available and would I like one that's 190mm instead? Pretty good service and the prices are comparable if not better, even if their website (of apparently an infinite number of parts) is a bit sketchy looking. I was surprised that they're based in Canada, despite their name, California Import Parts.

https://www2.cip1.com

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
...Pretty good service and the prices are comparable if not better, even if their website (of apparently an infinite number of parts) is a bit sketchy looking. I was surprised that they're based in Canada, despite their name, California Import Parts.

https://www2.cip1.com

I've thought the same - their website looks like someone from the 80s designed it. But, I've had really good luck with parts availability from them lately.

And from their perspective, they import parts from California, so it makes perfect sense to them! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Despite the awesome usefulness of this site, I got tired of not knowing anything that's not from the horse's mouth, especially considering how Frankenstein my bus is. This ought to cover it.

Also, parts have arrived for finishing up the dual master conversion, hopefully I can get that done this weekend or sooner, depending on the weather. We had thunderstorms today here in San Jose, very weird.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Despite the awesome usefulness of this site, I got tired of not knowing anything that's not from the horse's mouth, especially considering how Frankenstein my bus is. This ought to cover it.

Enjoy the reading of those manuals!!! Smile
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
bobrk wrote:

Enjoy the reading of those manuals!!! Smile
I'm cracking up my kid by turning to random pages, just to see what's in there...

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

Actually have had the brake lines just like that for a little over 200,000 miles now. Would like to get a longer short pipe to mount that "T" up higher, but what we have seems to work.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
ach60 wrote:

Actually have had the brake lines just like that for a little over 200,000 miles now. Would like to get a longer short pipe to mount that "T" up higher, but what we have seems to work.

I got a 190mm pipe from cip1.com that I'm guessing will be enough, we'll see...

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Today, I buttoned up the T-fitting for the dual circuit master. I thought I would have enough pipe to mount the T-fitting to the sheet metal down there, but the two front brake lines are a bit too short for that. So I found a spot out of the way to attach the old lines to the new fittings and the short piece of pipe to connect to the master cylinder.

Still have to wire up the brake light switches.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Another mystery on my truck is this antenna mount. It looks like they had it mounted between the windshields with the cable running down to the radio in the dash. Seems like it had a very weird angle to clear the top. Maybe it was a CB radio with one of those swiveling mounts?

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Can't wait to try out these brakes.

Gotta have a stance shot.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Hole in the dash is for cigarette lighter socket.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

I got into the cab today to poke around and had forgotten about this lovely dash repair.

Al and I had installed a "faster" speedometer...

Nice bondo work...

Nice.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Hole in the dash is for cigarette lighter socket.
Hmmm, I wonder how they got the antenna cable over to the radio? Maybe just jammed down between the windshields?

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

Also, parts have arrived for finishing up the dual master conversion, hopefully I can get that done this weekend or sooner, depending on the weather. We had thunderstorms today here in San Jose, very weird.

I have a '78 Convertible, but the Bentley Manual Covered nothing about the Convertible Bits of the Car.
The Old Blue Manuals from the 50's had all the details, so I started buying them.
But yours look like they are Hardbound ?
That is so cool you found them !
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

I hope you didn't kick the Brake Bleeder Tool on the roof.
Like I did Embarassed
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
bobrk wrote:

I have a '78 Convertible, but the Bentley Manual Covered nothing about the Convertible Bits of the Car.
The Old Blue Manuals from the 50's had all the details, so I started buying them.
But yours look like they are Hardbound ?
That is so cool you found them !
Wolfsburg West has them!

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
bobrk wrote:

I hope you didn't kick the Brake Bleeder Tool on the roof.
Like I did Embarassed
i have a new one from HF that uses compressed air pressure. We’ll see how that goes.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: