Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. I can see by the interest that I'm entering the challenging part of the window build.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
If anyone has a good lead on better repro seals I'd love to hear about it.

Have you tried the seals Greg from Vintage Warehouse sells? They are much better than anything else I've found.

I got some for the “Goat’el”. They are very nice. A smidge thicker that the OG ones. I test fit them in my frames with Sekurit glass, no problem. When I started to install my OG SIGLA glass I quit because it was taking much more pressure. Not sure why. But, the rubber wouldn’t stay in the correct orientation. Removed, reset and tried again several times. I didn’t want to crack the glass any more than it already is, so I’m reevaluating.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Does anyone just sell the flat rubber that is squeezed in and trimmed to fit, like OG?

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Does anyone just sell the flat rubber that is squeezed in and trimmed to fit, like OG?
This is what I'm thinking of:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Building the jig should be fun...

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

OMG If I had just seen those Photos years ago.
I still remember fighting my convertible glass to re-assemble glass back into the frames with new rubber for 3 afternoons.
BUT I didn't break anything !
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
OMG If I had just seen those Photos years ago.
I still remember fighting my convertible glass to re-assemble glass back into the frames with new rubber for 3 afternoons.
BUT I didn't break anything !

So glad I bought those Bentleys.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

So happy to get the rear drum thing sorted out. Found a machinist who did an awesome job and it fits perfectly.

Now there’s no excuse not to finish the brakes.

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Sick work! Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

spend more money
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=261898003
Don't eat them, they'll cause cancer:
****WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm www.P65Warnings.ca.gov****
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Vent rubber time. Took about three nights of finagling and then realizing the vent flap should go in first, so I had to pull out the ends, but I think I got it. Patience is key. And baby powder.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Got the sliders in, I’m almost happy with them.

Next up, vent windows

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Congratulations Bob, I hate those vent seals and still haven't removed & reinstalled mine. I'm still using another set of windows on my bus. You reminded me of how much I need "man hands" to reinstall my seals. As a matter of fact I just joined the YMCA and the new guy working there has the strongest hands I have ever seen. When he is putting away weights lazy people leave out he lifts 50lbs and more with just one hand's finger tips! I've gotten to know him well and I'm going to see if he can push those bastard seals in after I remove them again and clean out the tracks.

My question is what is this seal?

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

That’s the back of the felt channels for the sliding window. I used Gorilla Glue to keep them from falling out.

I didn’t really need my strong hands. Lots of baby powder and an old dull screwdriver. Plus patience, beer, and a baseball game in my ears.

Last edited by bobrk on Mon May 31, 2021 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Built a jig and assembled the vent windows to frames using the WCM rubber. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

It was hard to trim behind the swoosh. I had to settle for less than perfect. I did manage to get most of it trimmed, unlike these pics indicate.

Assembled them into the window frames

Weather strip and assembly into the doors. I applied baby powder all over the bus to ease insertion.

Woofda, hardest part I've done so far.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Appears factory.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Appears factory.

Woah, thanks!

MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

I've replaced the vent-wing glass to frame seals a few times. I learned to stretch the seal slightly around the glass, reducing its thickness which allows MUCH EASIER insertion. Fold it all the way around to the open edge, clamping it there. Then insert into the frame and seat firmly. Do a rough trim, leaving about 1/4 in. all around and let it relax for a couple of days to allow the rubber to draw back in as much as it wants. Then do the finish trim. This prevents the rubber from shrinking back below flush with the frame. I made a special tool from a small weighing spatula to trim inside the "swoosh". I bent the tip at 90° and sharpened it with a file. Did a beautiful job.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
I've replaced the vent-wing glass to frame seals a few times. I learned to stretch the seal slightly around the glass, reducing its thickness which allows MUCH EASIER insertion. Fold it all the way around to the open edge, clamping it there. Then insert into the frame and seat firmly. Do a rough trim, leaving about 1/4 in. all around and let it relax for a couple of days to allow the rubber to draw back in as much as it wants. Then do the finish trim. This prevents the rubber from shrinking back below flush with the frame. I made a special tool from a small weighing spatula to trim inside the "swoosh". I bent the tip at 90° and sharpened it with a file. Did a beautiful job.

Nice. I saw a tip in here about bending the corner of a razor blade but it didn't really work for me. The spatula idea actually sounds good. I may go back at it at some time. I am worried about the vent windows popping back out, but I'm going to leave them shut on the body for a while and see what's happening. The worst thing that can happen is I have to do them again, and I don't see it as a big deal any more.

Last edited by bobrk on Mon May 31, 2021 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

I was a little bored last night and decided to hook up a battery charger to my truck and see what would happen. Everything that could work without the key worked, even the headlights.

I have new glass taillights for these

Parking lights work! So do the low and high beams

Dome light

Looks like I need at least one bulb in the speedo

I was a little worried that the old dry battery might short out, but nothing happened.

MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

Looks like I need at least one bulb in the speedo

Is an 80 mph speedo correct for a '59?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: