Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
bobrk wrote:

Looks like I need at least one bulb in the speedo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is an 80 mph speedo correct for a '59?

Nope! When I got it, it had the 70mph speedo (with a square marking the top speed of 50mph!), but, back in the days when you could actually find splitty parts in the junk yard, we came across this 80mph speedo, which is more correct for the engine and transmission that are in the vehicle. I've driven this back in the day well over 60-65 (indicated). Since this bus is a hodgepodge, I'm less concerned with accuracy and more with having the right speedo for the job.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Since this bus is a hodgepodge, I'm less concerned with accuracy and more with having the right speedo for the job.

I'm with you there. While I do my best to keep Rosie looking stock, I've made numerous upgrade mods to improve safety, reliability, drivability and comfort. Her 80 mph speedo hardly does justice to her ability, but the suspension and steering ensures that I rarely demonstrate it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

My seat frames are missing most of the spikes to do the upholstery OG so I’m fixing that problem. I was trying to figure out how to attach them to the frames and came up with the idea of pop riveting them. I had to put 21 on this seat back. These are the ones from Wolfsburg West.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
bobrk wrote:
Since this bus is a hodgepodge, I'm less concerned with accuracy and more with having the right speedo for the job.

I'm with you there. While I do my best to keep Rosie looking stock, I've made numerous upgrade mods to improve safety, reliability, drivability and comfort. Her 80 mph speedo hardly does justice to her ability, but the suspension and steering ensures that I rarely demonstrate it.

Agree completely. That's why Otto is getting disk brakes as his next step in modernization.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

Wow, those look really long. Just got done watching BulliBill's Matt Miller video again, and I think it would be very hard to get the covers over those spikes. I do believe I will cut them down a bit.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Well, I made a seat. Half a seat, actually. Not bad for my first seat. Seats are hard but it's good for me to not expect everything to be perfect. It's a journey. On a seat. Half a seat.

BTW, on that old Matt Miller video, he says go ahead use pliers, the vinyl is tough. It's not as tough as I thought it would be. Be careful.

I think my spikes were indeed too long and I had to stretch the vinyl more than I should have. Despite all that, I think it looks good.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

Wow, all these years and I never noticed that the bulkhead behind the seats has a hump!

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Woot, got the seat bottom done today. They look so good and they are comfortable, too, at least for the few minutes I tried them. I put some painters tape on my pliers and worked the vinyl more gently this time. Very happy with how they came out!

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Those came out really nice and smooth, nice work

I might be remembering wrong but I did see Matt Miller use pliers when he did the cover in a Double Cab.
I think they might have been smooth jaw pliers though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Those came out really nice and smooth, nice work

I might be remembering wrong but I did see Matt Miller use pliers when he did the cover in a Double Cab.
I think they might have been smooth jaw pliers though.

Yeah, and I'd say to take out as much slack as you can. The seat bottom has the coconut pad, so it's much stiffer and easier to work with. I used some big clamps (with plastic jaws) to help this time, and it was much easier.

Anyway, these were from Deutsch Polster and definitely worth the money to get that OG look.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Slow weekend on the truck.

Started getting this crap out of the door channels. Yuck.

Wired up the brake light switches and poured like a whole bottle of brake fluid into the brake system and still no pedal!

I think this is the most significant perforation rust on the truck

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Good work on the seats! Keep grinding

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:
Good work on the seats! Keep grinding

Thanks, that part was fun and so satisfying!

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Well, finally got the brake system full of fluid, solid pedal, adjusted the rear brakes, e-brake was perfect. Looked under the car, and new puddle! Of course it's in the new stuff I put in, specifically the T fitting added for the dual circuits.

Can't get any wrenches in there, so I guess the bright side of this issue is that I can rearrange this stuff more neatly.

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

[quote="bobrk"]Slow weekend on the truck.
Wired up the brake light switches and poured like a whole bottle of brake fluid into the brake system and still no pedal!

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=pressure+bleeder&x=0&y=0

The pressure bleeder that replaced the one I kicked on your roof.
You'll need the correct cap size for bleeding, so measure what you got.
Also bleed calipers with top bleeder, if your bleeders are on the bottom it will never bleed.
It takes very little pressure, so don't pump the handle like crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Seats look really, really good. GREAT JOB!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Seats look really, really good. GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Thanks!

As far as the brakes are concerned, I got them bled and even had a pedal, but there was a leak at the "T" I installed for the dual circuits, so I have to take all of that apart to fix it. Maybe this weekend.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

I got a PM about my modified seat stays, and realized I didn't have a good picture of them, so here you go. This allows the bottom of the seat back to be further back than it normally would be allowing a little more legroom for big guys like me.

I didn't do the mod, my truck came like this.

It just occurred to me, this is why my seat doesn't fit over my spare tire. 😂

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

So I decided to move the "T", which put it in a place that my old connecting pipe wouldn't reach. I had an extra rear hard line in the garage, so I made a sculpture. I blame heatstroke from working under the truck in 99° weather! 😂

I will have to bleed everything again, lost an entire MC of fluid working on this. I had an idea of sticking some front bleeders in the MC holes, but by the time I got back to the cylinder, it was empty. I also had reservations about putting those in holes they didn't belong in...

southbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
So I decided to move the "T", which put it in a place that my old connecting pipe wouldn't reach. I had an extra rear hard line in the garage, so I made a sculpture. I blame heatstroke from working under the truck in 99° weather! 😂

I will have to bleed everything again, lost an entire MC of fluid working on this. I had an idea of sticking some front bleeders in the MC holes, but by the time I got back to the cylinder, it was empty. I also had reservations about putting those in holes they didn't belong in...

I have reviewed every page of this entertaining publication and I really congratulate you on the pragmatism and drive to improve that beautiful 1959 SC.
I would like to ask for your help as I think you learned a lot in the process. I am thinking of improving the brake system on my 1966 Westy SO42. I want to put a dual circuit MC but keep the drum brakes on all 4 wheels but I have some doubts:
Does a dual circuit MC give me better stopping power?
Or is it only differentiated by the security of having two independent circuits?
What master cylinder did you use and what is the respective reservoir? You have the link?
I have thought about buying an MC that corresponds only to the 1967 buses in Cip1:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-611-011-Q

But I have also seen that they use MC from buses between 71 and 79 and even from Rabbit ... Do they perform better than MC for 1967 from Cip1?

What function does the adapter play in some MCs?
Well, I apologize for making this interruption in your interesting restoration post.

Cheers fron Chile, Southamerica
Cesar
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: