Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Filler Neck Hose in ‘71 Super Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Filler Neck Hose in ‘71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

My 15-year-old actually likes the smell of gas, but even he’s started to complain about the smell in our Super. After putting some gas in the tank and turning sharply, this hose is wet on the bottom:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m pretty sure that’s called a Filler Neck Hose. Somehow I already have one from WW, although the one in the car is 3” long, and this one is over 7":

Do I just cut it off? Also, in searching the topic, it sounds like I need to order up two Filler Neck Hose Seals to go inside each end, so I’m on that. Is there anything else?

The vintage VW hose clamps that hold it in place are cool looking. Is there a way to removing them so they can be reused, or do I replace them with modern clamps?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
P-Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Filler Neck Hose in ‘71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I just did the WW whole kit and yes, just cut it in half.
70 GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Filler Neck Hose in ‘71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Would also help if you hooked that open port on the T into the vapor/expansion system.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Filler Neck Hose in ‘71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Replace the clamps, too, when you order the two rubbers for the filler pipe and tank pipe ends. Wolfsburg West sells them.

Cut the WW hose you have to the same length as your old and busted hose. If you just cut it in half, it may still be too long, and your filler neck will stick out too far and your exterior gas door won’t close all the way. Not a fun thing to have your fuel door sticking out.

It’s easier to remove the filler pipe, as opposed to removing the fuel tank. Remove the metal filler pipe by first removing that large screw-in fitting that has the t-fitting. When reinstalling this screw-in fitting, use a suitable fuel-resistant pipe paste product to seal the male threads (else it’ll leak, and you will have wasted your time). ACE Hardware has this pipe dope in a small tube (get the one for water/oil/fuel).

If it were me, I’d also replace that original pre-formed braided hose that is connected to the male fitting on the filler pipe. WW sells this pre-formed hose. They also sell the back one, but it looks like that one has already been replaced, since it looks like one of the WW replacements.

As mentioned by another poster, get a hose on that small fitting on the T, and route it to the expansion chamber. And this last: if you rub a thin layer of dielectric grease on the filler pipe and tank male ends (after you’ve put the rubbers on), it keeps the rubbers from bunching up, and it also makes the filler hose slide on much easier.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Filler Neck Hose in ‘71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

70 GHIA wrote:
Would also help if you hooked that open port on the T into the vapor/expansion system.

Great catch !!!! I'd attend to the open "T" fitting; note that one cannot simply cap off that "T", the gas tank can develop a vacuum, and then fuel will stop pumping to the carb; I had a clog in that vent line once, drove on the shoulder of the Interstate for 90 minutes at 25 mph (all I could do) until I figured it out. Of course it was mid-summer, desert, mid-day, and in 1984.

I replaced the filler rubber tube on my VW, and it wasn't that easy, tough fit !!!

My 1970 VW has two filler hoses.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Filler Neck Hose in ‘71 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, friends.

Tim Donahoe wrote:
It’s easier to remove the filler pipe, as opposed to removing the fuel tank. Remove the metal filler pipe by first removing that large screw-in fitting that has the t-fitting.

The screw-in fitting is out and I'm making progress:

Other newbies like me might benefit from knowing that once the metal fitting is off, the filler neck slides out the gas door hole. Mine came apart easily, and it was clear that in this situation the filler neck slides into the tank. In addition to the two seals and the braided elbow hose, I think it might be time for me to get a new filler neck seal, too:

Tim Donahoe wrote:
As mentioned by another poster, get a hose on that small fitting on the T, and route it to the expansion chamber.

I am not sure where to route this. I have a neglected-looking charcoal canister under the rear passenger fender, and it has a hard line that runs to the front passenger fender, then stops. Another hard line begins a few inches away and dissapears on its journey upward:

I can't find where that comes out in the trunk. Where should it come out? For what it's worth, I suspect that both of these hoses are part of the missing system, too:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: