Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Missing fuel vapor line
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

Anybody have a picture of what the original bracket looked like, and how the two lines were connected to the “T” that is missing joining the lines from both rear sides . I found the line, and the “T” and want to see if I can get it close to what the original set up was.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

There was no other bracket, the two pipes were connected via hose. You are however missing a tee where that j tube is at the top of the engine bay.

Doh! I missed that you said you were missing a tee. The good news is that because it’s a tee, it doesn’t matter how the tee goes so long as the lines connected to it aren’t stressed.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

You are missing a short (~12") length of metal tubing that went between the rubber bit by the diagnostic plug and the Tee. You don't mention what year your bus is, but it looks like one that didn't mount the canister on the ceiling, any brackets on the tank cover panel?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

Bus daddy, 76 Westy. The canister is mounted on the firewall. And I found a plastic 7mm hose correct length and a “T” . I was thinking that there must have been some type of mounting bracket, as the perforated ceiling Masonite is split, and looks like there was a hole above the line. Going to fabricate a “stiffener” for the ceiling so it does not hang down, and make some type of holder for the line.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

i dont see your 10A line
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

10A is there( upper right corner of the pic) as well as hose 24... but it is a very old, possibly original hose that was not replaced. But it will be! Back in 2012, I replaced all of the hoses on my 78..... with the engine in , and it was 107 degrees that day, and the next 3 weekends it took me to replace all of the hoses including the hose to the fuel tank. I never want to attempt that again with the motor in!!!!

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

Some had a spring steel clip pop riveted to the hardboard, it was sort of a J shape with a 90 degree tab at the top for the rivet.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

Funny thing... that is what I had in mind. It will be a little more extravagant as I will need to put a reinforcement in the panel so it stops hanging down. Thanks !
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

Funny thing... that is what I had in mind. It will be a little more extravagant as I will need to put a reinforcement in the panel so it stops hanging down. Thanks !
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

hijacking rather than starting a new thread.

1976 FI

Similar to Bobs vapor lines, I have the "J" tube rather than 24>15A>24 (as far as hose numbers) which doesnt line up with the diagram on Ratwell

what do i need connect to the j portion of the metal line.? my canister mounts on the firewall. when i pulled everything to 'clean up' I just assumed I could rely on the Ratwell diagram to get it all back together...but the lines arent not meshing.

also the red little guy seems to have a much longer length on my setup

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

The Tee moved around over the model years, yours goes on with one leg facing forward and a hose to the canister, you'll need a short bit of hard line to connect it to the Tee.

Somebody's been messing with the red hose in the past, those zip ties didn't come from Hannover.

Слава Україні!
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

yeah I took that image originally to show those ties. Smile

So, connect the tee to the J bend on the metal line...with one leg connect to to the plastic (?)line to the canister? So my set up will have the T 90* counter clockwise from the diagram ?

I seem to remember pulling a female tee rather than a male tee.

Any suggestions of the bit of hard line needed?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing fuel vapor line Reply with quote

Don't know why your hose is so long I assume its all someone had on hand when the original failed and everything started to stink of gas. All it needs to be is about 2 to 2 1/2" long. I just use spring clamps to help hold these hoses in place, though nothing is necessary if the fit is tight enough. As for the drawing I believe it is for a European setup and not for the US spec Transporters.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: