Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coble; A '69 Bugs Life
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Coble; A '69 Bugs Life Reply with quote

SWEET FIND-- Love the story behind this car!!! As much as I appreciate the fact that my bug has been in my family since it was new, sometimes I wish I'd come across another one that has this kind of history attached to it just to be able to tell a story like that!

Lingwendil wrote:
Gorgeous car! I'm not usually a fan of patina but it would be a difficult decision to paint it if it was mine

Exactly what I was thinking- love the patina look on this.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Coble; A '69 Bugs Life Reply with quote

cool car, cooler story, the Doc sounds like the kind of guy who might like a ride someday.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Coble; A '69 Bugs Life Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Gorgeous car! I'm not usually a fan of patina but it would be a difficult decision to paint it if it was mine! Lots of nice documents too!

I agree! Tough call for me. Its been "touched up" in a couple places with some tan spray paint. I'm not sure exactly why, but over all this has all the look of a well worn daily driver. It certainly deserves to be restored, but I'm with you. Its a tough decision.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Coble; A '69 Bugs Life Reply with quote

You found what we are all looking for, a nice Beetle with a nice story. Looks like it would be a pretty simple weekend, parts on-hand, to have it back on the road! Good luck, keep us up to date and LOTS of pics!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Coble; A '69 Bugs Life Reply with quote

Tiny update. I received a copy of Dr. Cobles DL and the signed title form in the mail a couple weeks ago. I was beyond happy to see that! I filled out the rest of the form, using my info as the mailing address, got a money order for $2 (It is insane that the state makes you send a MONEY ORDER for $2. Like, why?) and mailed it off, fingers crossed.

While waiting on the results, I heard from Doug, yon Estate Seller. He said he found a box of "automotive related papers" and wanted to know if i wanted a dig before he tossed them. (Guess that bottle of Makers 46 I slid him for putting me on to the bug, and getting me a copy of the Doc's ID paid off!) Hoping to find the title, I went for a browse.

I didn't find the title, but what I did find WILL SHOCK YOU! CLICK NEXT TO FIND OUT!

Okay, so I'm crappy at click bait, and hopefully you didnt try to click anything. I grabbed a packet of stuff that seemed pretty interesting, and possibly related. In hindsight, I really am glad I did.

Four weeks after I sent the title work off, BAM! A copy of the title arrived! I now have a clean, clear, crisp copy of the title in the Doc's name. The previous owner is listed as "Nemet Auto Intl, New York", which coincides with some paperwork I found in Doc's affairs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Apparently what I uncovered, which was about to be thrown out, was all the original paperwork used for Doc to order his car through the "special program". You can see in the pamphlet light pencil marks next to what he must have ordered, or wanted for his car. Some of the paperwork appears to be just part of a standard packet, but the entire thing is in remarkable shape for being fifty-one years old.

All in all, just one more tiny part to the remarkable story of this now titled little car. I honestly think stories like this is one of the reasons I love Volkswagens so much.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Coble; A '69 Bugs Life Reply with quote

Those Nemet papers are super cool! I have never seen anything like those. What a cool Bug and story!

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Coble; A '69 Bugs Life Reply with quote

Awesome beetle and story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FredH17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Coble; A '69 Bugs Life Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
I honestly think stories like this is one of the reasons I love Volkswagens so much.

This is a truely stunning story Kirk, and what a great patina on the bug !
All the paperwork is awesome, there are not much bugs with a greater story like this 69.

Thanx for sharing..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: