Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 wiring question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My body off 70 ghia restoration is going nicely. I was following the instructions carefully regarding the wiring. In the photo they mention multiple wires going to the post marked X on the diagram of the fuse box (see photo). There is only one post? Are these wires to be spliced together or is this photo incorrect or do I have the wrong fuse box?

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

I would use the VW diagram rather than whatever that is but...

VW would often crimp more than one wire into a single terminal when connecting to the fuse box, so that even if the fuse box only had one terminal available, more than one wire could be connected to it.

You can also work around this sometimes with piggyback connectors which are commonly available at your local FLAPS.
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy
thanks
diagram came with wireloom from CIP1
overall very good and everything matched up, just wanted to check with the experts! thanks again
my project is coming along
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

Your Ghia looks great. I really like the color, and the open top.
Curious about the missing holes for your side trim though?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

thanks much, work in progress but having lots of fun. Fair amount of body work done on that quarter panel, will add holes an molding as final touches! Laughing
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

pkbghia wrote:
In the photo they mention multiple wires going to the post marked X on the diagram of the fuse box (see photo).
There's nothing wrong with that wiring system. FWIW it's the closest to original I found. I used the same kit in my '71 Ghia and was satisfied, but I did modify it for the alternator I installed in place of the original voltage regulator/generator setup. Some of the wires were a bit too long, but it's easy enough to take out the slack. I believe you'll find these molex three-way connectors come in handy; my fuse box had a couple that looked original:

If you can't find them locally check Jbugs.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

Quote:
X on the diagram of the fuse box (see photo). There is only one post?

If you look at the wiring diagram, those last two fuses have the same feed. Both fuses are for wire #15. (Key Switch On). You can spread the individual wires to the top and bottom of those two fuses. Remember not all circuits have fuses protecting the wires that go to them.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

pkb, I have that same wiring harness and also used the VW schematic for reference. I also have a double connector there. The black wire from the brake harness plugs into the bottom link on fuse panel, and the red and black connected wire (they are connected together at the connector) connect to the upper post on that same fuse port.Black wire from that goes to the gas gauge.
You are on track.

Here's one source to buy any terminals, single or multiple https://www.ferrulesdirect.com/pages/search-results-page?q=brass+open+barrel+terminal&page=3

Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

I really appreciate everyone's quick response. I am 4 years into my body off 70 ghia and learning lots. Like many of you I had my first dub in 1984, bought a 73 super beetle, bought muir's book and I have been hooked ever since. I also enjoy some of the ribbing that goes on amongst members!

Several months ago I questioned what should be done before dropping the body back on. I got a few suggestions but.......I now need to modify the part in the pic!!! LOL Rolling Eyes
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

Welcome to the club pkb, I just located this same part and can't get it into place. I tried yesterday to mount this heater hose connector and it was a no go thanks to the torsion arms, so yeah, this should have been mounted before putting the body on. Now I need to figure out which bolts to disconnect, raise the rear of the body up, connect these to the body from under the car, lower the body, hopefully not crushing these tubes, and hope they line up with the heater tubes inside the body. Frustrating when you have to go backwards 5 steps before moving forward....Good luck, will be watching to see what you do and will be trying the same thing. Will keep you posted if I figure it out.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

I am using a little cutoff wheel and grinder to make mine fit! Plan to upload lots of pics of my project soon. Have a week off next week and plan to get many things done.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

OK, cool, look forward to your technique!
Jeff

Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

I ended up having to do a bit of both. I separated the pan from the body by removing a few bolts and raised it an inch or so and I ended up sanding the lip a little on a belt sander till I was able to fit it.
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

the heater tube with body on was a pain but got it done, had to modify a few things.

Question for the group

working on dash now, should windshield go in before dash pad?

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

Thanks pkb, so basically I need to shave off the high tabs on the top and bottom and just leave the areas where it bolts to the body. Appreciate the photos, very helpful!
Jeff

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

pkbghia wrote:
working on dash now, should windshield go in before dash pad?
I found that the dash vent covers on my '71 overlap the edge of the new dash pad, and it was easier for me to install the screws for the vent covers using a standard #2 Phillips screwdriver with the windshield out of the way. I think it depends on an individual's dexterity, a stubby Phillips, or a 90° angle screwdriver. Regardless, I think you'll enjoy being able to stand in your passenger compartment when it comes time to install your windshield. Cool Question for you: if you're installing a new dash pad have you transferred your VIN plate from the old pad?
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

I am actually salvaging my original dash. I do not have a VIN plate on it. The top is in great shape, just need a little cleaning. The undersurface had some cracks around the metal strips that hold the mounting clips, repaired with Flexall, that stuff from the annoying commercial! Worked great

pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 wiring question Reply with quote

Hello!

I saw this post from a couple years ago:

"The wires from the turnsignal switch provides the power for the turnsignal bulbs. When ignition is in the on position the blk/grn/wht wire to the turnsignal should be constant hot from the emergency flasher relay(position 49A) and looking for ground/turnsignal light bulb. When the turnsignal switch is moved to the left or the right position the blk/grn/wht wire from the turnsignal switch is then connected to blk/wht(left turnsignals) wire or blk/grn(right turnsignals) wire completing the circuit and causing the emergency relay to flash on and off for which ever side you selected. However when you pull the emergency flasher switch, the other matching set of wires (blk/grn & blk/wht) off the T4 connector will simultaneously be connected to the emergency flasher relay (position 49A) again completing the circuit except this time both the left and right side bulbs should be flashing. Hope that made sense."

My issue is that the emergency flashers work. The turn signals do not. With the ignition on and when I test the blk/grn/wht wire the test bulb flashes and I hear the relay working. Its as if I am providing a ground with the test light. Confused?

I plan to take turn signal lever assembly off column and take a look. Any thoughts?

thanks
kurt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: