Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61Panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Hello everybody! Just wanted to share my latest project. My 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Wolfsburg Bus. This bus was saved from a private family junkyard deep in the woods of upstate New York. A friend of a friend was hunting for old Harley parts at this yard and discovered this! What’s even crazier is this yard was almost exclusively 1930-60s American cars. This was the only bus. The story goes is that the bus belonged to the grandfather of the family who own the yard. The grandfather used it as a mobile tool sharpening business and even cut a hole in the roof so he could stand up in it while he sharpened chainsaws for local customers. Amazing bus with an awesome history. It goes to show that they are STILL out there! Special thank you to my friend Lawrence who let me take this over and give it a chance at life once again. I’ve been dreaming of a PGSG bus since i was a kid so it’s very special to have one now

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Very nice. you know there is no shame in fixing that hole in the roof with a sunroof section.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Good score!

At the same time, it answers the nagging question of what you can do with all your spare time and money for the next couple or three years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Very nice. you know there is no shame in fixing that hole in the roof with a sunroof section.

As long as you put belly pans in it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Congrats! Very ambitious but worthwhile endeavor! Enjoy!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Great to hear stories of them still being found. This might come in handy for fixing that hole

https://grumpysmetal.com/bus/bus-1967-63.html
61Panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! Even better that red primer over the palm green protected it really well from the elements. Apparently the father painted it years ago for some reason but that remains unknown (something to do with the tool sharpening business?) it has cleaned up amazingly well with some goof off

scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Let the fun begin!!! I will agree with Lind that if I had a bus that needed roof repair I would just go ahead and install a sunroof.

Following!!
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Cool bus!

where in upstate NY did you find this?
I'm from the area and grabbed some buses back in the 90's from there-

61Panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

It was a small town somewhat near Saratoga Springs. I doubt it was the same place. The grandson said this was the only bus they’ve ever had in their junkyard and it was rare that anybody outside their family visited it. The guy who came across the bus happened to be somewhat neighbors and lived down the road. Wouldn’t that be a wicked coincidence though? 😂
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Oh man that thing was just sitting there? It's amazing to me that no one grabbed it before you! Congrats, what a neat find and hopefully you got it for pennies!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Perfect candidate for a sunroof.

Sunroof standard/kombi > 23/21 WD.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

My friend Mike is the guy that pulled this bus out of the woods in NY. It was a month or two after I bought our Jan 56 Double Door Panel from him. He posted a few pictures on Instagram. I called him as soon as I saw the photos knowing that this was my dream bus, but it was too late. The photos were a few weeks old before he posted them, and in that time he had sold the bus to Lawrence P. I knew Lawrence, so I contacted him and let him know that I was interested in the bus if he ever decided to let it go. He said it was a keeper, but then fell in love with another VW and made a trade with Ryan C. Ryan had the bus for some time and was working on it. He and another friend went on a cross country trip, and when Ryan came back, he decided to move to the west coast and needed to finance the move. He posted an Ad on Thesamba, and I saw it. I could not afford the asking price, but decided that since this bus kept showing up for me, I needed to step up and make something happen. Somehow, some way I was able to make a deal with Ryan with the help of my friends and family. So I have owned this bus now for almost 2 years. So far I have been gathering parts. The only work I have done to it since I brought it home has been sealing it up from the weather, and finding and cleaning up a set of PGSG rims. Here is another major project for me, and I currently have 3 major projects going, as well as a bunch more in the wings. I am not sure when I will get to it, but it is safe and I am grateful that I ended up with it.

P.S. It will definitely be getting a sunroof Wink
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Nice story.

Cool pic Cool
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

busben wrote:
Nice story.

Cool pic Cool

Thanks Busben!
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

It’s in good hands. Hope to see at the All Air Cooled Gathering one day…

What's the point in callin shots? This cue ain't straight in line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

well we know it is in the right hands when it comes to resurrecting buses
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
I am not sure when I will get to it, but it is safe and I am grateful that I ended up with it.

Fricken awesome!
That bus is lucky to have found you.

Carry on
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Palm Green/Sand Green Bus - SAVED from upstate NY woods Reply with quote

Very nice!

Hope we don't have to wait too long before you start. Smile
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: