Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resolved: Clevis arm variations
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Resolved: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

Going thru spare parts. Have an original clevis arm that came off the 1977 bus. have a replacement that came from one of the vendors a long time ago. Comparing the two, the new one has a longer spacing between the shaft and hole for the clevis. Also it is slightly larger. Not sure what it is. Does anyone know how the early and late clevis arms compare?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

Bay and Split use a different part that looks similar. The holes/cuotuts should be the same - the clevis is the same late Split and early Bay. The hole on the shaft is the same size as well.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

I replaced my original '71 arm with one I got that was noticeably larger, and it's been working fine.
Check this out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds//detail.php?id=2417179

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

Doesn't the throwout fork on the transaxle use a different length arm depending on the year, too? They should be matched, yes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

There may be one other size also, I have a couple of the black ones that are from the 60’s that kreemoweet posted and and also the later size Steve posted
Unless I am thinking Porsche parts.
I will look tomorrow
Chris
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

Yep, the curved arm versus the straight arm require different length cables
And, will also factor in at the pedal assembly
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
I replaced my original '71 arm with one I got that was noticeably larger, and it's been working fine.
Check this out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds//detail.php?id=2417179

re the ad. I don't know if it is correct.

The black one with the VW / AUDI logo came off my 1977. I don't know what I put in there now but it works. According to theSamba ad in that link the black one that came off my 1977 should actually be for an early bay. I don't know if the PO had it changed because she did have some clutch cable issues. ARRG.

Don't know which is which, and photos online by people selling them seem to indicate they don't know either because photos aren't consistent.

splits (and maybe 1968) used 211-721-374
1969 thru 1971 used 211-721-374A
1972 on used 211-721-374B

So definitively, which is which?

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

Historians will appreciate your attention to details, Steve.

I will be out on the road with a clutch that feels good/must be good… But thank you for making all this info easy to find in future searches. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Historians will appreciate your attention to details, Steve.

I will be out on the road with a clutch that feels good/must be good… But thank you for making all this info easy to find in future searches. Smile

Know those threads where people say their pressure plate collapsed? Lord forbid because they used the wrong clevis pivot and it over flexed the spring diaphragm ... .
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

another photo showing the difference.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
another photo showing the difference.

we really need to figure out which one is A and which one B. Please keep eyes open for an unmolested version of either where the part number is 100% known.

ALSO, the late fiche shows 211-721-351A as the correct clevis arm for 1970-1979 bays, however the early fiche shows 211-721-351 as the correct part on LHD bays 1968-1971, and 211-721-351/A from 1972 - 1979.

late:

early:

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

So no one has a known original of either to compare to see which is the early part and which the late part?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
So no one has a known original of either to compare to see which is the early part and which the late part?

The clevis is shorter on the earlier cables, at least on the aftermarket ones I have bought. Don't know how that plays into the design of the arm.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

Hi Mike, I think the part number is etched into the clevis itself on a genuine VW one. I'll have to look. But the arm doesn't have a part number.

There have been some people who have lost pressure plates when they collapsed. I doubt if the difference in arms is enough to do that but maybe the longer arm on a bus meant to have the shorter arm might over stress the clutch pressure plate. I don't know. But it would be nice to have a definitive way to determine which is the part needed. I am pretty sure the shorter arm came off my 1977 but the PO had clutch issues so I can't say it was original.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The clevis is shorter on the earlier cables, at least on the aftermarket ones I have bought. Don't know how that plays into the design of the arm.

My '71 clevis pin, attached to my (assumed-to-be-original) arm was a "short" one. My larger replacement arm worked
equally well with either the "short" one or a new "long" one. Either pin also worked fine with my worn-out '71 arm.

EDIT: I just found my old, worn-out clevis&arm I removed many years ago: the arm is even smaller than SGKent's
smaller one, by about 5 mm edge-of-big-hole-to-center-of-little-hole. No marks of any kind on either of the old pieces.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

My '71 clevis pin, attached to my (assumed-to-be-original) arm was a "short" one. My larger replacement arm worked
equally well with either the "short" one or a new "long" one. Either pin also worked fine with my worn-out '71 arm.

EDIT: I just found my old, worn-out clevis&arm I removed many years ago: the arm is even smaller than SGKent's
smaller one, by about 5 mm edge-of-big-hole-to-center-of-little-hole. No marks of any kind on either of the old pieces.

split clevis looks like this and is smaller than the 211-721-374A used on 1968 - 1971:

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

[bump]
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

Think this mystery is resolved. I enlisted the help of Ken Madsen at TheBusco to help me out on this one. He is such a great help, and for me one of the go to folks for good quality reasonably priced used parts. I can't begin to thank him enough. He has helped me so many times.

Ken took a look at his parts, and over a couple days we determined that the clevis variations fall into 4 categories which are, Split, Early Bay, Late Bay and repop.

The Split ones are part number 211-721-374. They are 24mm between the rectangular hole and clevis hole. They have a notch on the exterior.

The Early Bay ones are part number 211-721-374A. They lack the notch that was on the Split ones. They are also in the 23mm - 24mm range. The Year & VIN the part changed is removed in the fiche and parts book, but it looks like mid-1968. Because the pivot distance is the same as the earlier one, it may simply be that the exterior of the part was cleaned up to get more parts per stamping, or that the part was made from a different size piece of raw stock.

The Late Bay ones are part number 211-721-374B. They are smooth like the A part but smaller, and are 20mm between the clevis hole and the rectangular hole.

The repops can vary in size from 16mm to 24mm.

The length of the arc that the clevis hole follows will change how far the cable pulls. This in turn will affect how far the pressure plate is compressed. My suggestion would be to use the correct one for your bus so not to over stress the pressure plate, or under compress it. Ken has a good supply of them so if you need one next time you are replacing a cable, he is a good person to go to for them. Regardless where you buy one, make sure it is the correct part for your year bus.

I enclose a photo of some of the ones Ken used to make the measurements.

Last edited by SGKent on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Resolved: Clevis arm variations Reply with quote

Here's one for the FAQ/Sticky

thanks for the hard work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: